calibre debate .25?

Chaz25

The ultra stock's are really elegant reminds me of the old gallery gun's,  the strikers are pretty good, a mate had one for a short time (later model) oddly tight bore only liked the Rhino's thou, both my Supersport's feel and act better with lighter pellets about the 20grn's mark and even the Rhino's are tight in the MK1, the stealth like most pcp's will drive heavy pellets well, so I feed it some real heavy's for a sub 12 30grns+ I like playing the game of trading range for impact energy with that gun.

2 hours ago, Mice! said:

But how many shotguns and different calibre rifles do you own?? 🤔🤔😉

Very nice, if one pops up locally I'd be more than tempted. 

Only what I require to do the job.  Two rim fires   22RF and 17HMR cover totally different situations for instance. 

17 hours ago, Rimfireboy said:

That’s a nice little rifle Nigel, have you tried it with any heavier pellets? My spring powered .25 likes the ftt’s but the superdomes hit with a right wallop even at 12ft lb, it’s just the trajectory that gets you😁

Superdomes in .25 are over 30g and are to heavy in a sub 12ftlb gun imo. I've tried all sorts and lighter .25 ammo works best. It likes the old Pylarm at 18.6g.  It doesn't like the lead free JSB Exact at 16.54 it just jams up every time which is a shame.      

4 minutes ago, Whitebridges said:

Superdomes in .25 are over 30g and are to heavy in a sub 12ftlb gun imo. I've tried all sorts and lighter .25 ammo works best. It likes the old Pylarm at 18.6g.  It doesn't like the lead free JSB Exact at 16.54 it just jams up every time which is a shame.      

Agreed, they are too heavy Nigel, I just bought a tin of every different .25 pellets I could get, just to try them. I also had a few left from when I had my bsa supersport. H&N rampoint wouldn’t even fit in the breech at all in the bsa. Again, at 27 grains, way too heavy anyway for 12ft lb rifles. I wasn’t aware of the lead free jsb’s, might be ok in a springer? 

47A15291-C765-4F18-961B-FC9714ECCC83.jpeg

2 hours ago, Rimfireboy said:

Agreed, they are too heavy Nigel, I just bought a tin of every different .25 pellets I could get, just to try them. I also had a few left from when I had my bsa supersport. H&N rampoint wouldn’t even fit in the breech at all in the bsa. Again, at 27 grains, way too heavy anyway for 12ft lb rifles. I wasn’t aware of the lead free jsb’s, might be ok in a springer? 

47A15291-C765-4F18-961B-FC9714ECCC83.jpeg

The Lead Free JSB's would be worth a try in a sub 12ftlbs springer. Here's a picture, they are in the middle.

Be warned they are vastly expensive . Something like £13 a tin of 200. Happy to send you a few to try FOC. Just drop me a PM. 

25global.jpg

On 15/05/2021 at 14:51, Whitebridges said:

The Lead Free JSB's would be worth a try in a sub 12ftlbs springer. Here's a picture, they are in the middle.

Be warned they are vastly expensive . Something like £13 a tin of 200. Happy to send you a few to try FOC. Just drop me a PM. 

25global.jpg

Thanks Nigel, I’ll bear it in mind. I’ve stripped the striker down today for the first time. There was absolutely zero preload which probably explains the weird shot cycle. It feels like the piston runs out of steam towards the end of the stroke before the pellet finally lets go and begins to move down the barrel. I’ve deburred and polished the piston cleaned all the gunge and grease out of the cylinder. I’ve found a nut and washer that fit nicely inside the piston, so should give a little preload. The mainspring is quite weak, but I think fitting a stronger spring will definitely take it over 12, hopefully the nut and washer won’t? It was running at about 10.5 ish before.

19 hours ago, Rimfireboy said:

Thanks Nigel, I’ll bear it in mind. I’ve stripped the striker down today for the first time. There was absolutely zero preload which probably explains the weird shot cycle. It feels like the piston runs out of steam towards the end of the stroke before the pellet finally lets go and begins to move down the barrel. I’ve deburred and polished the piston cleaned all the gunge and grease out of the cylinder. I’ve found a nut and washer that fit nicely inside the piston, so should give a little preload. The mainspring is quite weak, but I think fitting a stronger spring will definitely take it over 12, hopefully the nut and washer won’t? It was running at about 10.5 ish before.

I don't know the striker at all but I read your earlier post and it seems it's  capable of high power. Is it worth putting it on your ticket? Now you've done a bit of maintenance
It's the sort of gun that will shoot pretty nicely as FAC level. Mind you ten and a half will kill our fury friends as long as you don't push it too far. 

Happy to help you out with some lead free as I really don't have any need for it. Good luck I hope you get the Striker shooting as you would like it.       

6 hours ago, scarecrow243 said:

years ago i tried a Brocock  single shot the one that had the shells and hand pump what a piece of dog poo

Did they make that gun in .25 cal ?  

2 hours ago, Whitebridges said:

I don't know the striker at all but I read your earlier post and it seems it's  capable of high power. Is it worth putting it on your ticket? Now you've done a bit of maintenance
It's the sort of gun that will shoot pretty nicely as FAC level. Mind you ten and a half will kill our fury friends as long as you don't push it too far. 

Happy to help you out with some lead free as I really don't have any need for it. Good luck I hope you get the Striker shooting as you would like it.       

Did they make that gun in .25 cal ?  

Thanks, I don’t know about putting it on ticket because I fancy another fac fx. I prefer pre charged for high power. The trigger unit lifts out in one piece, which was a nice surprise. Polished the sear and where it locates on the piston (that’s got rid of the trigger creep). Anyway, put back together, same mainspring, all polished up internals and a nut and washer to give the piston a bit more weight, and more importantly, preload. Shot it, felt much better. Lovely shot cycle as well. Got the chrono out.....oops. Back to pieces, I think the nut was a step too far.

Edit to say, yes the striker is .25 cal👍

61129312-7E28-494A-B8B7-25C6D5778935.jpeg

F250342D-431F-4138-88E2-5472B2AC13B2.jpeg

Edited by Rimfireboy

• 2 weeks later...