Clear coat for tantalised wood.

John_R

I've built a garden room and clad it with treated shiplap.  The intention had been to paint with a garden colour but as it turned out we quite like the wood as it is.

Is there a good product to apply now, to try and keep it looking as is? I would add that I am nervous about long lasting odour from wood treatment. I used something on a previous shed which was actually impregnated everything in the shed with a smell that never went away even years later.

If it makes any difference the specific timber used is the brown treated shiplap from Selco.

Sadolin Classic Wood Protection in Natural. Not quite colourless clear, it will darken your wood but not hide the timber. I've just used it to seal over charred pallet wood cladding. No real smell and easy to apply even if it's not water based. 

Hello, I have been using a treatment on my sons timber garage , the timber was pressure treated ? Guaranteed many years but still faded in the sun, last year I put 4 gallon of clear weather proofer come dry rot, wet rot , it still faded, this year he bought a oil based timber treatment that brought the grain out and put the color back into the timber and leaves a nice finish, I can find out later the product name if you like, 

The entire point of using tantalised wood is to negate the necessity of painting it with anything. Saying that it’s not as good a treatment as it once was, but once you paint something it’s always to repaint. 
Clear Acrylic varnish would do it, without effecting the existing colour, but personally I’d just leave as is. 

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, I have been using a treatment on my sons timber garage , the timber was pressure treated ? Guaranteed many years but still faded in the sun, last year I put 4 gallon of clear weather proofer come dry rot, wet rot , it still faded, this year he bought a oil based timber treatment that brought the grain out and put the color back into the timber and leaves a nice finish, I can find out later the product name if you like, 

Barrettine log cabin and decking treatment, 

Any good quality clear wood preserver should be good for your needs. Tanalised timber [aka 'pressure treated'] usually only gets the surface layers 'treated', so on external structures/cladding/fencing/decking etc I always dip the ends, especially cut ends of any treated timbers in a clear preservative.

You can get Tanalised solution to treat the cut ends of timber but it is quite expensive, and in small containers,,,, and surprisingly is blue in colour, but dries 'green' 😉

I do realise the treatment is supposed to negate the need for paint etc, this is more of an idea for how to keep it looking good.

I have used Enseal before on decking and frames, I've still got half a tin. 

I'll be happy to leave it for now, and see how it weathers. 

I prefer solvent based wood preservers, my favourite being Timbashield. Available in clear and various timber based shades it leaves the wood looking like wood. It doesn't stink, won't give you cancer, the fumes won't kill your plants and it looks about ten million times better than the awful stuff like watery emulsion paint they sell for sheds and fences in the DIY stores.

Thompson's water seal will soak in and not change the appearance.  It used to be solvent based and said on the tin it was suitable for wood.  They re-formulated it to water based recently and it no longer says suitable for wood.  I don't know why.  I have applied some to the bottom of an old fence panel to find out, can't see a problem with it.....

Edited by Jim Neal

I use car engine oil, don't alter the colour much just looks wet, it soaks into the surface so won't get oil on you and water beads off. No smell inside. I done a 6 meter by 3m garden building, it's 40mm double toungue groove log timbers, all the visible timber is done with cuprinol garden shades, the whole back that faces the fence is done with two coates of 20-50w iirc car engine oil.

Looks great after a few years, still beading like it's waxed.

As yours is treated a single coat of oil will do.

Finally back on the PC (as opposed to the phone) , and I can see how autocorrect butchered the thread title. :)

Thanks for the hints/tips on products, I'll probably watch how the weather changes it, and decide accordingly.