Saul Alvarez

Gordon R

Yes indeed. I don't like supporting non British fighters against Brits, but BJS makes it a lot easier! He gave Dubois such a kicking for dropping to his knee and getting the count out after Joyce broke his eye socket, so to see him quit on his stool for what sounds like it could be a similar injury is sweet poetic justice. And yeah...I'd love to see GGG get in the ring with Saunders; they'd have to scrape him off the canvas piece by piece

Billy Joe Saunders said after Daniel Dubois fight:-

If my two eye sockets were broken, my jaw was broken, my teeth were out, my nose was smashed, my brain was beaten, I was not stopping until I was knocked out or worse. 

Clearly Saunders - a man of his word, or perhaps not - should apologise to Dubois. Given his disgraceful antics in the past, it would be the first decent thing he has ever said.

3 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

All that said, BJS was looking pretty good until he caught that shot that broke his face, I'd like to see a rematch at some point in the future. 

isn't 'don't get your face broken' kind of rule one of boxing though? I feel avoiding that is going to make life a lot easier

Saunders' face was a mess before the shot that broke his socket. He was three round down - bit like Amir Khan - "I was winning until he hit me" and was shipping heavy punches. I would like to see Saunders back in with Eubank. Eubank looked raw when they last fought, but clearly had no regard for Saunders' punching power. In the last few rounds, Eubank gave him a beating - too little too late.

Not sure where Saunders and his inflated ego go from here. I honestly can't see a rematch, as Alvarez has little time for Saunders and his pathetic antics. I think Eubank or GGG would thrash Saunders. In some respects it's a shame. Saunders was a good amateur, a talented pro, but has an ability to alienate just about everyone who comes into contact with him. An obnoxious cretin is almost too kind.

1 hour ago, chrisjpainter said:

isn't 'don't get your face broken' kind of rule one of boxing though? I feel avoiding that is going to make life a lot easier

Yes your of course right, I would argue saunders was out pointing him in a majority of the rounds, he was however getting bullied and it was clear alvarez was looking for the stoppage which he certainly got. Still an interesting fight though. 

1 hour ago, Gordon R said:

Saunders' face was a mess before the shot that broke his socket. He was three round down - bit like Amir Khan - "I was winning until he hit me" and was shipping heavy punches. I would like to see Saunders back in with Eubank. Eubank looked raw when they last fought, but clearly had no regard for Saunders' punching power. In the last few rounds, Eubank gave him a beating - too little too late.

Not sure where Saunders and his inflated ego go from here. I honestly can't see a rematch, as Alvarez has little time for Saunders and his pathetic antics. I think Eubank or GGG would thrash Saunders. In some respects it's a shame. Saunders was a good amateur, a talented pro, but has an ability to alienate just about everyone who comes into contact with him. An obnoxious cretin is almost too kind.

I think that's a petty good assessment tbf. But then you don't need to be a nice guy to be a good boxer. 

But then you don't need to be a nice guy to be a good boxer. 

Sonny Liston was a nasty bit of work. Muhammed Ali was awful when he systematically beat up Ernie Terrell. Henry Cooper was far from the affable "Our Enery" personae he peddled.

Saunders is something else. No redeeming features at all. I think he has a slate loose.

Eddie Hearn on Twitter:
"Just at hospital in Dallas. Saunders stayed in overnight. Suffered multiple fractures to orbital area and will undergo surgery this afternoon."

That could be Saunders done. One fracture's bad enough, but multiple fractures around the face and eye area? That might well be his goose cooked

10 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Sonny Liston was a nasty bit of work. Muhammed Ali was awful when he systematically beat up Ernie Terrell. Henry Cooper was far from the affable "Our Enery" personae he peddled.

Saunders is something else. No redeeming features at all. I think he has a slate loose.

👍

10 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

Eddie Hearn on Twitter:
"Just at hospital in Dallas. Saunders stayed in overnight. Suffered multiple fractures to orbital area and will undergo surgery this afternoon."

That could be Saunders done. One fracture's bad enough, but multiple fractures around the face and eye area? That might well be his goose cooked

Alverez certainly knew he was done when he landed that shot. 

I've not heard BJS after the fight yet, it goes two ways, retirement from injury or rematch(I hope so to put the fight to bed).

DD does deserve an apology certainly and BJS should of known better than to say what he did but the mouth of boxers building up themselves or upcoming fights it seems knows no bounds.

BJS is no doubt talented but lacking a concussive punch to swing with the top top fighters or at least keep them at bay, he was looking good up to that point though.

16 hours ago, Gordon R said:

Mixed feelings. No time for Saunders, but I would be sorry if he had to retire because of the injury. I would prefer that he saw sense and retired, rather than have it forced on him.

Not sure he needs to retire, if and hopefully when his injuries recover, he's shown he's tallented enough to mix it with any fighter and give them a run. 

I've never understood the mentality in boxing that if someone is not number one they should retire. Khan was the same, not in the top fighters but he'd put a decent show on and would climb in the ring with nearly anyone. 

1 hour ago, 12gauge82 said:

Not sure he needs to retire, if and hopefully when his injuries recover, he's shown he's tallented enough to mix it with any fighter and give them a run. 

I've never understood the mentality in boxing that if someone is not number one they should retire. Khan was the same, not in the top fighters but he'd put a decent show on and would climb in the ring with nearly anyone. 

I agree with you about retirement because of losses. I think there  is a bit of a stigma within boxing about not being the best and that achievement is based on how far up you go before you're beaten.

BJS as a boxer is a lot better than a lot of his peers. He will never be as good as Alvarez or GGG, but that's not reason enough to chuck in the towel. My concern is that injury. It will never be the same and now every boxer worth his salt will be targeting that cheek both as a psychological play to see if BJS is wary of his own fragility and as a means to get a fight stopped through serious injury. 'Multiple fractures' is not something you want on your charge sheet when people are trying to punch you in the face. I'd love to see what the x-rays were like!

Edited by chrisjpainter

7 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

I agree with you about retirement because of losses. I think there  is a bit of a stigma within boxing about not being the best and that achievement is based on how far up you go before you're beaten.

BJS as a boxer is a lot better than a lot of his peers. He will never be as good as Alvarez or GGG, but that's not reason enough to chuck in the towel. My concern is that injury. It will never be the same and now every boxer worth his salt will be targeting that cheek both as a psychological play to see if BJS is wary of his own fragility and as a means to get a fight stopped through serious injury. 'Multiple fractures' is not something you want on your charge sheet when people are trying to punch you in the face. I'd love to see what the x-rays were like!

Fingers crossed, I think it was kell brook who suffered a similar injury and he came back, but your right the psychological impact from that type of injury alone could finish him at the level he's at. Either way I hope he continues, he's got plenty of talent to mix it with others at a high level. 

I could accept BJS continuing - he lost to one of the best.

Amir Khan - do me a favour. Glass chin and finished at almost any level. Outside of the ring he, he makes BJS seem like a saint. He has ducked Kel Brook for years - the excuses are endless.

9 hours ago, Gordon R said:

I could accept BJS continuing - he lost to one of the best.

Amir Khan - do me a favour. Glass chin and finished at almost any level. Outside of the ring he, he makes BJS seem like a saint. He has ducked Kel Brook for years - the excuses are endless.

Amir Khan although not the best still puts a decent show on imo. I would compare it to almost any other sport, take football for example, does Chelsea pack in because they loose, or formula 1, do the drivers quit because they're not number 1. Its very much part of the problem in getting the big names to fight each other, once they loose the calls for them to quit start. Even the likes of David price who was exposed after an initial promising start to his career before losing twice to Tony Thompson, I think he's a great fighter to watch, massive right hand with not the best defensive skills, hugely entertaining to watch, he either goes to sleep or knocks the other guy out nealy every time. 

Amir Khan still draws a crowd, who try to judge what round he will get knocked out. A thoroughly unpleasant individual outside of the ring, although his TV show would appear to be designed to make him look less arrogant and stupid.

I always thought Khan was brave going in with punchers, knowing at any moment it could be lights out. He did well and made money, but when he quit in the last fight, any respect for him disappeared.

Saunders says he intends to fight on, but hasn't retracted his comments about Daniel Dubois, or given real credit to Alvarez. Dubois on the other hand showed his class by messaging Saunders, without any reference to what Saunders had said about him.

3 hours ago, Gordon R said:

Amir Khan still draws a crowd, who try to judge what round he will get knocked out. A thoroughly unpleasant individual outside of the ring, although his TV show would appear to be designed to make him look less arrogant and stupid.

I always thought Khan was brave going in with punchers, knowing at any moment it could be lights out. He did well and made money, but when he quit in the last fight, any respect for him disappeared.

Saunders says he intends to fight on, but hasn't retracted his comments about Daniel Dubois, or given real credit to Alvarez. Dubois on the other hand showed his class by messaging Saunders, without any reference to what Saunders had said about him.

Again a good assessment imo. 

On 10/05/2021 at 16:28, 12gauge82 said:

Fingers crossed, I think it was kell brook who suffered a similar injury and he came back, but your right the psychological impact from that type of injury alone could finish him at the level he's at. Either way I hope he continues, he's got plenty of talent to mix it with others at a high level. 

Kell Brook suffered a broken eye socket against GGG and the same thing happened in his next fight against Errol Spence Jr.
He won his next few fights but was knocked out by what looked like an ordinary jab by Terence Crawford.
Looking back at some of his earlier fights - i.e. Carson Jones, he shipped quite a lot of punishment so hardly surprising his punch resistance isn't up to par nowadays.
Shame - I always enjoyed watching him.

58 minutes ago, serrac said:

Kell Brook suffered a broken eye socket against GGG and the same thing happened in his next fight against Errol Spence Jr.
He won his next few fights but was knocked out by what looked like an ordinary jab by Terence Crawford.
Looking back at some of his earlier fights - i.e. Carson Jones, he shipped quite a lot of punishment so hardly surprising his punch resistance isn't up to par nowadays.
Shame - I always enjoyed watching him.

Yeah he was a decent fighter. 

Time will tell for bjs

4 hours ago, serrac said:

I see there's murmerings of a Brook/Eubanks matchup.
That would be worth watching though I fear for Brook's chin now.

I wasn't aware of that, interesting match up although Eubank now has age on his side. I'd definitely watch it though, I think brook is far from finished if he put the gym work in.