Decoy essentials

On 10/05/2021 at 07:42, WalkedUp said:

You can see it in the back left of this picture, with a Sainsbury’s bag full of empties and a coat on it. The height is set to be ‘perched’, weight off your legs but able to stand and swivel easily. 

In terms of decoys I would start with cheap flocked half shells. 

Cheap stealth net. I used garden canes instead of poles when I was poorer and didn’t know what to buy but the decathlon poles are good.

The best kit in the world will not get you a bag if pigeons are not committed to feeding in that field. 

535287BA-CACB-4264-9182-AEB306E5551C.jpeg

What a sight that is walked up, could not have been a better day by the look of it. They are two handsome doggies for sure.

atb

7diaw

As for seats

I've got a few different ones. 

Very comfortable office chair for all day summer sessions when I can drive into the field (its heavy and big but very comfortable  .) 

My latest is a small folding drummers swivel seat  it comes apart and drops into my decoy bag . Comfortable enough for 4 hours or so .no back rest but 100 ° spin .

Hide net .

4 cheap closeline poles and some pegs 

12 shell decoys. And some long and short .sticks 

Cartridge bag  (I use a large pencil case it takes about 4 boxes of carts ) and gets stuffed in the decoy bag 

ex army bergen  (best thing u will buy ) get the extra side pockets to go with it .

On 26/05/2021 at 23:05, Ultrastu said:

As for seats

I've got a few different ones. 

Very comfortable office chair for all day summer sessions when I can drive into the field (its heavy and big but very comfortable  .) 

My latest is a small folding drummers swivel seat  it comes apart and drops into my decoy bag . Comfortable enough for 4 hours or so .no back rest but 100 ° spin .

Hide net .

4 cheap closeline poles and some pegs 

12 shell decoys. And some long and short .sticks 

Cartridge bag  (I use a large pencil case it takes about 4 boxes of carts ) and gets stuffed in the decoy bag 

ex army bergen  (best thing u will buy ) get the extra side pockets to go with it .

I agree with you about the office chair , I have got an old one that I leave up the farm for when I make a permanent hide on a crop with limited access , these are ideal , a back rest , adjustable height and a swivel seat , the downside is the weight , if they could make them lighter they would certainly take some beating .

For the hide poles I use four or five tile battons with a point on the end that go in the ground and cut a v shape in the top to put the net on , I also knock a couple of plasterboard nails a few inches from the top so you can adjust the height of the net , by using 5 you can use four to put the hide net on and the fifth one can be used to hang the end of the net like a door to get in and out of the hide .

My cradles are home made from fencing wire and these can be left in the hide .

My cartridge bag is a old camera carrying case that hold three boxes and my portable pocket radio . 

All I need to take is shell decoys , gun , cartridges , and if I was staying for three to four hours I would take some food and drink for me and my dog .

If I can drive to my hide then I take the full monty , not always needed but something to play with when the pigeons don't want to join in .:lol:

On 30/05/2021 at 17:40, marsh man said:

I agree with you about the office chair , I have got an old one that I leave up the farm for when I make a permanent hide on a crop with limited access , these are ideal , a back rest , adjustable height and a swivel seat , the downside is the weight , if they could make them lighter they would certainly take some beating .

For the hide poles I use four or five tile battons with a point on the end that go in the ground and cut a v shape in the top to put the net on , I also knock a couple of plasterboard nails a few inches from the top so you can adjust the height of the net , by using 5 you can use four to put the hide net on and the fifth one can be used to hang the end of the net like a door to get in and out of the hide .

My cradles are home made from fencing wire and these can be left in the hide .

My cartridge bag is a old camera carrying case that hold three boxes and my portable pocket radio . 

All I need to take is shell decoys , gun , cartridges , and if I was staying for three to four hours I would take some food and drink for me and my dog .

If I can drive to my hide then I take the full monty , not always needed but something to play with when the pigeons don't want to join in .

I keep trying to 'slim down' my kit but always end up shoving the whole lot in the car 'just in case'.

If I have to walk (which is very rare these days) I have a converted fishing trolley with wheelbarrow wheels fitted so I can get as much gear as possible to the hide site.

I obsess that if I don't have that one piece of equipment with me it will drastically affect the outcome , truth be told it probably makes no difference but on a slow day I look for any reason as to why the birds dont come, and like all sportsmen I always blame my equipment or lack of it, I think my head needs looking at :yahoo:

8 minutes ago, lakeside1000 said:

I keep trying to 'slim down' my kit but always end up shoving the whole lot in the car 'just in case'.

If I have to walk (which is very rare these days) I have a converted fishing trolley with wheelbarrow wheels fitted so I can get as much gear as possible to the hide site.

I obsess that if I don't have that one piece of equipment with me it will drastically affect the outcome , truth be told it probably makes no difference but on a slow day I look for any reason as to why the birds dont come, and like all sportsmen I always blame my equipment or lack of it, I think my head needs looking at :yahoo:

👍

• 2 weeks later...