Pistol Red Dot/Laser Sights

wymberley

Don't want to get too carried away as my pistol has not yet arrived - tomorrow is looking good - but I think I may need some help. I took a flyer and bought a cheap-ish sight of each of the Subject types. The red dot looks to be good. It's particularly well made for the price and the nice touch is that the adjusters can be locked. Sadly, not so the laser. I've already had to take a file to it so there's the/any warranty blown. I have learned that the adjusters don't hold position - my source may well be a PW member - but I think I may get around that. Problem is is that I'm non too well and the little bit of filing caused my hands to lock up and with considerable pain and although the job was a good 'un, I don't fancy any more unnecessary fiddling.

Consequently, could anyone advise of a good laser sight for a Webley Alecto Mk5 177 which has both of the advantages mentioned above?

Many thanks.

I can’t comment upon the pistol aspect as they are not my bag, but this is a decent laser that holds zero.

https://www.a1decoy.co.uk/product/green-dot-laser-scope-sight-designator/

For snap shooting and bolting bunnies / foxes at close range at night there has nothing better. You need to be sure of your backstop but I have the red lamp on and green laser zeroed for 20 yards - too close for the zero or parallax on the scope. 

Gun in shoulder, head up and aware of surroundings. It is also brilliant fun. 

Guys, thank you very much - that's me sorted. I have listened to Ultra and will try the iffy laser to see if it suits my needs - I will be static. If it's no good, then there's always the red dot. Although not from AI, that is the very laser I've been looking at; not just for the pistol but also the R-10 and the 22WMR when I finally get my sticky little fingers on it.

:good:

Pistol shooting is more involved than shooting a rifle. A red dot or laser isn't going to help if you haven't mastered the basic fundamentals and mechanics. Pistols are often deemed 'inaccurate' but the reality is that the expectations of the shooter are massively optermistic and there is no understanding with what's required. 

My Gamo P900 fitted with a cheap red dot. They can have there place. 

IMG_0154.JPG

4 minutes ago, Rockhamster said:

Pistol shooting is more involved than shooting a rifle. A red dot or laser isn't going to help if you haven't mastered the basic fundamentals and mechanics. Pistols are often deemed 'inaccurate' but the reality is that the expectations of the shooter are massively optermistic and there is no understanding with what's required. 

My Gamo P900 fitted with a cheap red dot. They can have there place. 

IMG_0154.JPG

Good point. Fortunately, I learned to shoot some 67 years ago by shooting wasps on a jam jar which was full of water with jam wiped on the rim. I got a farthing for each head in the water but fined 1/- for breaking the jar. I was soon in debt. Finally, after many months I broke even and Father said OK, that's enough, you can now shoot.

As rockhamster correctly states, the fundamentals need to be grasped initially. When I did my Glock conversation course it was really apparent that hold sensitivity was the key. We had come from the browning 9mm where we were taught to hold onto the thing for dear life but not the case with the Glock. I’m just about to get myself an air pistol so I will follow this thread with interest.