Oil seed rape, dog dangers?

Hi, so the other day myself and Mrs Sophster, my pointer lab cross took what turned out to be a wet look around a flowering field of oil seed rape to see if any pigeons were about. Soph had a great time sniffing out pheasants and retrieving 1 lone pigeon. She got totally soaked but had a good time. Not long after our return home, she developed a cough, almost making herself sick. She was definitely not firing on all cylinders for the rest of the day and exersion made her cough, and even the following day,  she was avoiding barking. Of course if it continues we'll see our mortgage adviser and visit the vets. I've read that osr is not good for dogs if eaten, but cannot find anything about running through it and possibly inhaling small particles. Any ideas/advice greatly appreciated. 

48 minutes ago, 39TDS said:

If you want to scare yourself silly put the following search into Google. 

rape pollen dogs

Uh right! Yes that is scary stuff. Looks like OSR is off the shooting list for a while then. Hopefully it wont be such a problem when ripe for harvesting and nice and dry, or when harvested. 

That is a new one on me, very interesting.  I was always aware after rape had been harvested because likely 'stabbing' from the hard stalks, also something to watch out for later in the year.   Had one of my dogs get one up the nose. It broke off and the vet had to pull it out with artery forceps.

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

That is a new one on me, very interesting.  I was always aware after rape had been harvested because likely 'stabbing' from the hard stalks, also something to watch out for later in the year.   Had one of my dogs get one up the nose. It broke off and the vet had to pull it out with artery forceps.

Hate working my dogs in rape stubble 

and to be honest there easy enough to find I’ve picked up so many dead birds that have been impailed I try to avoid it with the dogs 

Rape pollen is one of the most commonly allergenic things to humans so it's not surprising if your dog is sensitive to it.

Save a trip to the vets.  Grab a pack of anti-histamine tablets such as cetirizine.  Dose at 1mg per kg of dog's weight, twice a day.  You'll note that's higher than the human rate but dogs' metabolism is much higher than humans, therefore they expel it from their system quicker, hence the higher dose per weight.

6 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

Rape pollen is one of the most commonly allergenic things to humans so it's not surprising if your dog is sensitive to it.

Save a trip to the vets.  Grab a pack of anti-histamine tablets such as cetirizine.  Dose at 1mg per kg of dog's weight, twice a day.  You'll note that's higher than the human rate but dogs' metabolism is much higher than humans, therefore they expel it from their system quicker, hence the higher dose per weight.

That's good advice thanks. I'll try that, one of my dogs gets a form of hay-fever and I was told 10mg of cetrizine not loratadine but I wasn't told it was twice a day. It didn't work so I stopped. Vet was foreign and I struggle with non English speakers.

18 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

Done exactly that, thought not so high a dose. It's the first time she's shown any allergic reaction to anything and I was wondering if it was because it was a soaking wet day, Soph got drenched and was licking herself all the way home.