Wetsuits

billytheghillie

We used to and my boys still do. They are fine if you want something basic (like us) for occasional use. Not exactly triathlon standard but ok. The cut is poor for me, tight on the shoulders but loose on the midriff, but for 15 mins of splashing about in the shallows at Anglesey in March it doesn’t matter. 

11 hours ago, billytheghillie said:

I was in a Tesco store today and they had shortie wetsuits on sale for £20 to £25, anybody had one from there? Any good?

If you want something decent and go to Glasgow regularly check out Lomo, it's near the M8 bridge, they do top notch wetsuits and very good entry level suits and you can try them on in store.

37 minutes ago, billytheghillie said:

I usually go to 1 of the Canary Islands in January and just snorkel in the quiet, not deep sandy bays, so really dont want to spend a fortune.

Water temperature is 15°C in the Canaries in January. Your budgie smugglers would likely be fine so any wetsuit will be ok. If you are just buying one it would be worth checking out the cost of a decent make as others have suggested. If for the whole family then just get the Tesco ones. 

Min 20°C is comfortable sea water temperature for paddling about. I believe 16-18°C for triathlons. Anglesey is 8°C in March. 

Rule number one...as said before, make sure it is a good snug fit and retains the water

if it is a full suit ( long sleeves/legs ) and it is a struggle to get into it, put foot in a plastic carrier bag. Put leg through, remove bag.  Very handy if suit is a bit damp

12 hours ago, billytheghillie said:

I usually go to 1 of the Canary Islands in January and just snorkel in the quiet, not deep sandy bays, so really dont want to spend a fortune.

Have a look at Decathlon if you have one close. I  SCUBA'd in one of their shorties in Thailand, snorkelled in Mallorca and even had a quick dive in Stoney Cove before donning my drysuit. Performed great, kept the water where it needed to be and didn't lose heat too quickly

There is a reason they are £20, but should be alright for a holiday.

Here in Cornwall there are lots of surf shops and some of them do part exchange on wetsuits. This means you can pick up a decent quality suit for not much money. Great for when the kids are growing up.