Certificate renewal worries.

Hi guys, just wondering how you have all got on with renewing your shotgun certificates, as since I did my last one there is a need for a doctor's report and I'm worried about the different criteria. For the last couple of years I've been on mild antidepressants to help me deal with certain issues.  Has anyone been refused a  renewal for any of the reasons on the form? 

I have to declare also. 
Does your GP know you’re a ticket holder? If so and he/she hasn’t queried it then they’re not concerned. 
You could talk to your GP about it, or your FEO, or both, but I know plenty of folk with issues who still have their tickets.
Just be honest and upfront and I’ll bet you’ll be ok. 

2 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

Difficult one, as Scully said, be totally upfront right from the beginning but join BASC or similar before you start the process

With all due respect, the OP doesn’t need BASC, or any other group, and from experience they won’t help him even if he did. 

23 minutes ago, Scully said:

With all due respect, the OP doesn’t need BASC, or any other group, and from experience they won’t help him even if he did. 

Its always reassuring to have legal expenses insurance and the knowledge that it is there in place I believe makes the licencing authorities more wary  of their outcome.

4 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

Its always reassuring to have legal expenses insurance and the knowledge that it is there in place I believe makes the licencing authorities more wary  of their outcome.

BASC don’t provide legal expenses cover anymore

1 hour ago, Scully said:

I have to declare also. 
Does your GP know you’re a ticket holder? If so and he/she hasn’t queried it then they’re not concerned. 
You could talk to your GP about it, or your FEO, or both, but I know plenty of folk with issues who still have their tickets.
Just be honest and upfront and I’ll bet you’ll be ok. 

This is the best advice . 

I've known a few guys in a similar position over the years . It's never been a problem for them , and being , honest , open , and , upfront ,  is the way it should be done.👍.

It never occurred to me to not be upfront and honest, I just couldn't imagine not being able to shoot any more, I've done it for nearly 60 years in one form or another, in fact it's what has helped me the most to cope with things these last few years, being out in the field with my dog is the best escape from the stresses and strains of modern life. My doctor is really good, gives me time and listens, with follower ups. Personally,  after getting over the macho man thing of not needing pills, I'm really glad I was given the opportunity to start sorting things out, it's not a drug to zonk you out, more a tool to help for when stuff gets a bit much. Perhaps if more people gave it a try....

How long have you been on anti-depressants? 

The only issue I can foresee is the Licencing authority not being happy that you didn’t tell them about them when you first started. 

If I ever needed to take that sort of medication I would be upfront and let them know before hand, to try and nip any concerns in the bud. 

8 hours ago, getthegat said:

It never occurred to me to not be upfront and honest, I just couldn't imagine not being able to shoot any more, I've done it for nearly 60 years in one form or another, in fact it's what has helped me the most to cope with things these last few years, being out in the field with my dog is the best escape from the stresses and strains of modern life. My doctor is really good, gives me time and listens, with follower ups. Personally,  after getting over the macho man thing of not needing pills, I'm really glad I was given the opportunity to start sorting things out, it's not a drug to zonk you out, more a tool to help for when stuff gets a bit much. Perhaps if more people gave it a try....

I get what you mean about cant imagine not being able to shoot again. A counsellor I had time with thought removing my firearms licence would have been even more detrimental to my mental health.

As has been stated you shouldn't have any bother. If you can, book an appointment with your GP and have a quick yarn about .... probably a difficult thing to do in these covid times!

If anyone needs support in the idea that shooting is good for your mental health you can refer to the research by Dr Tracey Latham-Green "Understanding the social impact of participation in Driven Game Shooting in the UK" https://ethos.bl.uk/OrderDetails.do?did=1&uin=uk.bl.ethos.820240. I have the executive summary if anyone needs a copy. 

Strong social capital networks, one of the wider determinants of health as defined by Dahlgren and Whitehead (1991), exist within all forms of driven game shooting, in particular within not-for-profit syndicate shoots, and this study found examples of those support networks being activated in times of need, such as following a close bereavement. A very strong and clear ‘rural identity’ amongst almost all participants further strengthened the social networks - 91% of survey participants indicated a rural identity, a connection to the countryside and rural life influenced participation, Strong social support networks have a number of positive benefits to both mental and physical health and well-being and can help enhance and maintain social cohesion in rural communities.

Participation in DGS in any form has a moderate to large positive effect on participants’ mental health and well-being measured using the short Warwick-Edinburgh mental well-being scale (SWEMWBS)1 . This is due to a number of factors including strong social support networks, reduced loneliness, strong rural and/or cultural heritage identity, time spent outdoors in nature, regular physical exercise and participating in an activity that gives a sense of purpose2 . Syndicate shoots have a potentially greater impact on participants’ mental health and well-being, especially for those aged 55 year and over with stronger friendships/bonding social capital, providing stronger social support networks and less division, via stronger bridging social capital.

Sense of purpose was particularly important for beaters and pickers-up with 98% of regular beaters and pickers up agreeing or strongly agreeing that is was important that they (or their dog(s) if applicable) ‘do a good job to contribute to the success of the shoot day’. Having a sense of purpose, particularly as we get older, has been shown to positively impact health and well-being (Alimujiang et al., 2019; McKnight and Kashdan, 2009).

Participation in DGS resulted in higher mental well-being levels measured using the short WarwickEdinburgh mental well-being scale (SWEMWBS) for participants across all sizes and types of shoot. The benefit was particularly high in older individuals who are part of a syndicate shoot, with stronger social networks, reinforcing the role of social capital networks in good mental health and well-being. The higher mental well-being level was influenced by a number of factors including strong friendships, reduced loneliness levels (as a consequence of having a well-developed friendship/social support network), having a purposeful life, strong identity, spending time outdoors and completing regular physical exercise outdoors, (further benefitting participants’ physical health).