Small ladder trap

I am thinking of building a small ladder trap to reduce the amount of magpies in accordance with the general licence. 

I have chucked a few measurements together and the reason for the external sizes are that it will fit in my small trailer.

Questions:-

What size wood should I use? 2" x 2" or is that too heavy duty?

Is the ladder high enough at 32"?

Is the ladder gap 7" x 7" ok?

Or any other observations?

Edited to say if this is in the wrong section please move.

20210511_173312.jpg

Edited by harrycatcat1

20 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

I am thinking of building a small ladder trap to reduce the amount of magpies in accordance with the general licence. 

I have chucked a few measurements together and the reason for the external sizes are that it will fit in my small trailer.

20210511_173312.jpg

It should work. I would make the gaps between the 'ladder' slightly closer.

14 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

6" x 6" or 5" x 5" ? What do you think?

I've not had any experience of them.

Because the birds will be lower on the ground, I would make the gaps 5" apart. I doubt that any bird will get back out though, as their wings will be spread out wide when they try. You could make the lower section 36" - 42" to give more height between the ground and 'ladder'. 

Edited by steve_b_wales

6 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

Because the birds will be lower on the ground, I would make the gaps 5" apart. I doubt that any bird will get back out though, as their wings will be spread out wide when they try. You could make the lower section 36" - 42" to give more height between the ground and 'ladder'. 

Thanks I will see what I can do with the measurements 👍👍👍

45 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

20210511_173312.jpg

There is a very good BASC video on You tube showing construction, and ladder dimensions under ' Ladder trap construction'.

All the best.

8 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Just out of curiosity why does the top have to be a "V" shape?

Could it have a flat top with a ladder in the top? It would then be 50" off the ground?

I've always questioned that, and there's probably a good answer. I would think that the 'V' draws the birds down towards the ladder. Probably wrong though.

15 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Just out of curiosity why does the top have to be a "V" shape?

Could it have a flat top with a ladder in the top? It would then be 50" off the ground?

The "V" shape makes the trapped birds fly to the highest point to try to escape, they are then trapped in the top corners, if the top was flat there is a chance they would walk the wire inside to the ladder and escape.

Put or leave a call bird in the trap, with a shelter , and make sure it is on flat ground so they cannot get out under the edges.

Good luck.

Edited by twenty

24 minutes ago, twenty said:

The "V" shape makes the trapped birds fly to the highest point to try to escape, they are then trapped in the top corners, if the top was flat there is a chance they would walk the wire inside to the ladder and escape.

Put or leave a call bird in the trap, with a shelter , and make sure it is on flat ground so they cannot get out under the edges.

Good luck.

Thanks, thought that there would be a reason, back to plan "A" then 👍

Ok, what size wood then?

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Ian willetts said:

Watching this put some pictures in please planning on making one my self roofing laths should be good I think not expensive or if you know a roofer he might have some off cuts good luck 

Had some second hand laths given but not enough for a ladder trap so made a larson/drop trap. Just waiting for someone having their roof done 🤣🤣👍