British Waterfowling Shotgun Shipped Across The Pond late 1980s

ohiochuck

In the 1980s I began a subscription to the  Shooting Times and Country Magazine which I greatly enjoyed although mail did not always arrive as expected.  In the For Sale Ads I located a William Ford 10 b SXS with 33” barrels  weighing just less than 9.5 lbs

After some correspondence by letter in those days and I believe one phone call, I purchased it and had it "imported". It apparently began life as a 12 b with 3 inch chambers then someone had it "re-bored to 10b". According to serial number it was made in the 1920s.

It was my go to water-fowling shotgun during the end of lead shot into the shooting rust era at moving objects. During the lead era it did a very nice job of harvesting ducks and the occasional goose.

Before moving to the use of steel shot I sent the shotgun to Stan Baker to have him evaluate what needed to be done for the move to steel shot. He informed me that the chamber of one barrel was off center and recommended opening the chokes for steel shot-  I had him fix both issues.

Within several years of using steel shot  I discovered the action became loose "off face?" and had it repaired.

I then sent it to Briley to have mobile shot gun chokes made for it.

Now it only uses bismuth for water fowling or lead for other game.

Hind sight- it became apparent it was not made for the higher pressure loads (lead or steel in 3.5 inch loads).

The choice of lower pressure steel loads was not a option here in the 1990s.

I really enjoy the British SXS shotguns

To use an 8 bore on waterfowl must be fantastic.

Jim

Jim, you have touched on the main point that these old guns were not made to handle high pressures and 3.5” is a modern American introduction. Ten bores tended to start life here at 25/8 or 27/8” chambers, I have the former. As to 8 bores I fear you won’t get that chance in the US. if you ever get over to the U.K. in winter pm me and you will get the chance to use an 8 bore here in Scotland. Or at least handle one as you can never guarantee a shot.

9B8CBB3A-0A6D-4BAF-B7C7-DA7A3D515609.jpeg

Edited by Dave at kelton
Typo

Dave at kelton

In 2008 I purchased a cased Charles Lancaster 8 b SXS with hammers and under lever with 36 inch damascus barrels 3.25 " chambers with full and full chokes. It weighted a    light 13.5 lbs.

A friend who really enjoys his 8 b shotgun(s) sent me a dozen reloads (Winchester cases with 1.75 oz of # 6 shot with  Universal Clays).

Patterns at 40 yds right barrel = 93 % ;left barrel = 88 %

Patterns at 60 yds right barrel =33 %; left barrel = 29%

Possibly heavier shot might have improved the patterns  beyond 40 yds.

It was fantastic to shoot, minimal recoil.

In Ohio any shogun larger than 10b is illegal for any game including waterfowl. Before I sold it, I located a full box of Eley 8 b 3.25 inch cartridges with # 4 shot  at a gun show but did not test it

I donated the full box to the friend who gave me the 8 b cartridges to test .

Jim

Edited by ohiochuck

15 hours ago, ohiochuck said:

Dave at kelton

In 2008 I purchased a cased Charles Lancaster 8 b SXS with hammers and under lever with 36 inch damascus barrels 3.25 " chambers with full and full chokes. It weighted a    light 13.5 lbs.

A friend who really enjoys his 8 b shotgun(s) sent me a dozen reloads (Winchester cases with 1.75 oz of # 6 shot with  Universal Clays).

In Ohio any shogun larger than 10b is illegal for any game including waterfowl. Before I sold it, I located a full box of Eley 8 b 3.25 inch cartridges with # 4 shot  at a gun show but did not test it

Jim

That will have been a nice gun. I just love Charles Lancasters and have four. Percussion, tip and tilt hammer, side lever hammer with lined barrels and a wrist breaker side lock with 3” chambers as built.

i understood it was illegal to go bigger than 10 bore anywhere in the states on live quarry. My 8 is full and full chokes and I use 2oz of ITM

On 13/05/2021 at 03:31, ohiochuck said:

Dave at kelton

Jim

Hi Jim theres a thin wall brass 10b by William Ford  also a 8b side by side  sidelock by Ford (obsolete cal)  in Holts next auction in June . atb DD

• 2 weeks later...

I had, once, a nice Midland Gun, half-pistol hand, thirty-two inch barrels BLE. In truth however it had such an amount of drop in the stock that I found it unusable for me. So it was sold now over a decade ago at auction.

http://gavingardiner.com/BidCat/detail.asp?SaleRef=0006&LotRef=323

What I have now...but will take offers over £200 on is a Baikal IJ-26E boxlock ejector. The one with that was proofed for 2 3/4" Magnum. As standard save a larger white bead (for first and last light shooting) replacing tha factory brass bead. 

Baikal1.jpg

Baikal2.jpg

Baikal4.jpg

Edited by enfieldspares