Browning 525 barrel bulge?

Si.F

Hi all

looking for some sound advice and this is always the place to go 1st.

was using my 525 at the weekend, 1st time for a while and maybe I am being a bit obsessive, but wanted to check before taking it to a gun smith. I have attached some photos to try and help explain..

it is multi choke, which are always checked prior to using and after, taken out and cleaned, but as it was a bit sunny during the shoot, I noticed the end of the barrels distorted the reflection, with naked eye and out of the sun doesn't appear to be any issues. But the distortion got me worrying that the barrels may have bulged. 

the main question being are the 525 barrels normally like this, at the section of the chokes ( as my Beretta doesn't have this distortion also multi choke), or is it possible I have over tightened the chokes and caused the barrels to bulge

hopefully have explained sufficiently 

many thanks

Si

pw1.jpg

3pw.jpg

Inked2_LI 1.jpg

11 minutes ago, 8 shot said:

I think you'll find it's for the chokes my Miroku 7000 was exactly the same. If the chokes still screw in and out you should be fine. Also look at the top and middle rib they should taper in slightly 

good point, the variation is exactly same for both barrels where the chokes finish. Also done another check with a metal ruler and they do taper in slightly no gaps or problems on the rib. Chokes go in and out as before without any issues.

Edited by Si.F

Hi, your photos show a very  precise profile & uniform increase in barrels diameter on both barrels . This would be the standard manufactured profile to enable the barrels to be machined for screw-in chokes.

If there were a problem with the barrels then you wouldn’t get both barrels damaged/ bulged in exactly the same place ; that is to say any  bulges would be irregular. 

So nothing to worry about. Just keep the threads/ bore clean, lubricated and screwed-in firmly as normal practise.

just measured my ten year old 525 12g barrels with invector plus chokes. Although I have never noticed it before the barrels are not parallel from breach to muzzle the external dia does slowly increase along the length till about where the chokes are and then there is a positive increase.. Measured with my micrometre.  So dont worry.

Nothing wrong here. If bulging as a result of high pressure would happen in a multi choke gun, it would be no further forward that the spot where the choke meets the bore. Your can check this spot with a choke tube held against the outside of the barrel and flush with the barrel end.