Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Last 2 days Bramble has been throwing up and has diarrhoea. Late this morning she all of a sudden struggled to get out of bed and is unsteady on her back end when she does get up. Trip to the vets and they expect it to be just a stomach bug and have given her a course of antibiotics, this was at mid day with a slight improvement now. The vet said her back end was physically fine but just didn’t seem to want to stand on it. Has anybody else had a similar experience? She’s obviously been off her food but has been drinking.

Link to post
Share on other sites

i have had that with my spaniels a couple of times............usually down to eating something that is putrid and rotten....like a dead mouse or rat or nearly totally decomposed rabbit................spaniels are well known for picking up/scavaging.....utter bits of rubbish ..and it makes them very poorly

BUT.............on the plus side it introduces bacteria into the gut that they are lacking...................you know what they say......"what dont kill you will make you stronger"

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 minutes ago, ditchman said:

i have had that with my spaniels a couple of times............usually down to eating something that is putrid and rotten....like a dead mouse or rat or nearly totally decomposed rabbit................spaniels are well known for picking up/scavaging.....utter bits of rubbish ..and it makes them very poorly

BUT.............on the plus side it introduces bacteria into the gut that they are lacking...................you know what they say......"what dont kill you will make you stronger"

+1

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, ditchman said:

i have had that with my spaniels a couple of times............usually down to eating something that is putrid and rotten....like a dead mouse or rat or nearly totally decomposed rabbit................spaniels are well known for picking up/scavaging.....utter bits of rubbish ..and it makes them very poorly

BUT.............on the plus side it introduces bacteria into the gut that they are lacking...................you know what they say......"what dont kill you will make you stronger"

Good to hear, I wasn’t particularly worried about the sickness but the stiffness and not being able to get up started to worry me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ditchman said:

BUT.............on the plus side it introduces bacteria into the gut that they are lacking...................you know what they say......"what dont kill you will make you stronger"

... and then the prescribed antibiotics kill off the bacteria plus many others in the gut, thus opening the door to further sensitivity to alien bacteria.  An extremely double-edged sword, antibiotics...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JTaylor91 said:

Update, pretty much back to normal. A little lazy and slow to get up this morning but got better through the day and now eating again.

something bland to begin with...like chicken and rice maybe ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/05/2021 at 22:28, Jim Neal said:

... and then the prescribed antibiotics kill off the bacteria plus many others in the gut, thus opening the door to further sensitivity to alien bacteria.  An extremely double-edged sword, antibiotics...

Worth giving the dog some live yoghurt etc. to replace some good bacteria.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Could she have been eating Rape? My larger Springer chews on it at every opportunity he gets so I have to watch him all the time. Only time one of my Dogs has shown the exact same symptoms as yours, however, was after eating the butt of a spliff somebody had discarded. He lost control of his rear legs and was very sick, he had to go on a drip overnight and the vet said that he was unsure whether my dog would make it through the night, not an experience I want to repeat. Hope she makes a full recovery, sounds like she's heading the right way.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Could she have been eating Rape? My larger Springer chews on it at every opportunity he gets so I have to watch him all the time. Only time one of my Dogs has shown the exact same symptoms as yours, however, was after eating the butt of a spliff somebody had discarded. He lost control of his rear legs and was very sick, he had to go on a drip overnight and the vet said that he was unsure whether my dog would make it through the night, not an experience I want to repeat. Hope she makes a full recovery, sounds like she's heading the right way.

Not sure what she had eaten, I didn’t see her get anything but must of got into something quickly. She’s back to normal in herself, took her out yesterday with the dummy for a bit, she was looking pretty knackered after only half an hour which isn’t like her so called it a day and went home.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...