Jump to content

Anyone fished the River Orchy?


Recommended Posts

Considering a holiday up to the western highlands in August. Two considerations - is the fishing on the Orchy any good? Apparently 300 salmon a year so better than anything south of the wall. Hopefully some nice brownies too. 
 

Secondly, midges…I have conflicting views from “they are just part of the holiday” to “ you won’t even be able to see your hand in front of your face and will be eaten alive” - anyone have a balance view of the little so and so’s? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/05/2021 at 18:17, oscarsdad said:

Secondly, midges…I have conflicting views from “they are just part of the holiday” to “ you won’t even be able to see your hand in front of your face and will be eaten alive” - anyone have a balance view of the little so and so’s?

First part is correct if it is dry and wind more than 4-5 mph, second correct if it isn't (30 years experience). Use DEET

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, henry d said:

First part is correct if it is dry and wind more than 4-5 mph, second correct if it isn't (30 years experience). Use DEET

Thanks Henry - plan was nets if necessary, Avon so soft, Smidge and DEET so hopefully those in some sort of combination will work! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/05/2021 at 18:17, oscarsdad said:

Considering a holiday up to the western highlands in August. Two considerations - is the fishing on the Orchy any good? Apparently 300 salmon a year so better than anything south of the wall. Hopefully some nice brownies too. 
 

Secondly, midges…I have conflicting views from “they are just part of the holiday” to “ you won’t even be able to see your hand in front of your face and will be eaten alive” - anyone have a balance view of the little so and so’s? 

Never underestimate the Highland Midge !! Only thing I`ve found deters them is cigar smoke ,that and a midge proof smock top with headnet.Hth.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, matone said:

Never underestimate the Highland Midge !! Only thing I`ve found deters them is cigar smoke ,that and a midge proof smock top with headnet.Hth.

An excuse to buy a packet of villagers then I suppose...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...