Game fishing Bettyhill

Dave at kelton

1 hour ago, Dave at kelton said:

Has anyone been salmon or trout fishing in this area of north Scotland and have any guidance? I expect to be up on holiday in the near future?

I have! 

The Naver. You can buy day tickets in the Bettyhill Post Office. My wife’s uncle has a small estate overlooking the beach 1 mile from here. 

Let me dig out a few pictures. We visit him every year. 

13 hours ago, derbyduck said:

Dave if can contact the fishing tackle shops in Turso or Wick they should be able to give you some info , tight lines .

Thanks

12 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

I have! 

The Naver. You can buy day tickets in the Bettyhill Post Office. My wife’s uncle has a small estate overlooking the beach 1 mile from here. 

Let me dig out a few pictures. We visit him every year. 

Appreciated thanks

8 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

Thanks

Appreciated thanks

Dave yes that would be good to see,  the only water that is open at the time I go up there (late October)  is the Loch of Wester ,which as runs of sea trout and salmon , an old firend  (sadley passed ) had a farm that went down to the burn of lyth and he told tales of him and his bother taking fish when they where young to boost thier pocket money ,another chap that lives and farms at Wester told my son inlaw about 6 yrs ago of a massive fresh run salmon leaping out of the water presumebley trying to get rid of sea lice ,great place to visit and I did think about moving up there 30yrs ago, but !  atb DD

3 minutes ago, derbyduck said:

Dave yes that would be good to see,  the only water that is open at the time I go up there (late October)  is the Loch of Wester ,which as runs of sea trout and salmon , an old firend  (sadley passed ) had a farm that went down to the burn of lyth and he told tales of him and his bother taking fish when they where young to boost thier pocket money ,another chap that lives and farms at Wester told my son inlaw about 6 yrs ago of a massive fresh run salmon leaping out of the water presumebley trying to get rid of sea lice ,great place to visit and I did think about moving up there 30yrs ago, but !  atb DD

LOL ive answered the wrong post ! but hey oh there you go .

• 2 months later...

@Dave at keltonI’m up there now, fishing this week with my boys. They bought a fly each from House of Bruar as we stopped for breakfast and I was picking out a knife (Opinel no.8). I’m sure the flies are tied to attract the eye of my children as much as any trout! 

Day tickets are at the post office (now the Bettyhill store is closed). First come first served, on day of purchase only. Post office officially opens at 0800, staff arrive from 0740 and so start selling once it’s open. £25 per day for the river (upstream of the iron bridge ‘Naver bridge’), maximum two tickets issued per day. £5 per day for the estuary (below the iron bridge), unlimited tickets. At peak times there will be a queue in the morning! Locals can fish via club etc so it’s all holiday types camping out for a week’s serious fishing. 

A6E94C1A-585D-4106-8DD8-0DE62AD25B39.jpeg

I have lost two opinel knives in the last two years. Cannot believe the price of them now. Steel feels thinner too. 

Edited by WalkedUp

49 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

@Dave at keltonI’m up there now, fishing this week with my boys. They bought a fly each from House of Bruar as we stopped for breakfast and I was picking out a knife (Opinel no.8). I’m sure the flies are tied to attract the eye of my children as much as any trout! 

Day tickets are at the post office (now the Bettyhill store is closed). First come first served, on day of purchase only. Post office officially opens at 0800, staff arrive from 0740 and so start selling once it’s open. £25 per day for the river (upstream of the iron bridge ‘Naver bridge’), maximum two tickets issued per day. £5 per day for the estuary (below the iron bridge), unlimited tickets. At peak times there will be a queue in the morning! Locals can fish via club etc so it’s all holiday types camping out for a week’s serious fishing. 

A6E94C1A-585D-4106-8DD8-0DE62AD25B39.jpeg

I have lost two opinel knives in the last two years. Cannot believe the price of them now. Steel feels thinner too. 

Yes had two days on the river and two on the estuary. Plenty of fish in the river but left empty handed. Missed two fish on pool 2. Tight lines
Dave

• 5 weeks later...

Fished that water a couple of times , most recent 2009 when I think it was only £20 a day.  First time was circa 2006 when I had a spanking fresh run  8 pounder at The Crossing.   Even cheaper permit down stream of the road bridge and as someone else has said its first come frst served for a limited number of permits.

Blackpowder

On 27/08/2021 at 08:38, Blackpowder said:

Fished that water a couple of times , most recent 2009 when I think it was only £20 a day.  First time was circa 2006 when I had a spanking fresh run  8 pounder at The Crossing.   Even cheaper permit down stream of the road bridge and as someone else has said its first come frst served for a limited number of permits.

Blackpowder

Good fish in the river and estuary when I was there. Would not look at much I chucked at them. Had one roll on a muddler and a pull on a Cascade but didn’t connect with either. Would love to do it again if the opportunity arises.

On 28/08/2021 at 17:20, Dave at kelton said:

Good fish in the river and estuary when I was there. Would not look at much I chucked at them. Had one roll on a muddler and a pull on a Cascade but didn’t connect with either. Would love to do it again if the opportunity arises.

First time I was there there was a  good pool upstream of the car park at (3) right on the bend, second visit it was  gravelled up.   Really nice place but according to reports that north shore has been very busy this year.  Had a week at The Isle last week did not fish but fine relaxing time with Steam Packet next door.

1 hour ago, Blackpowder said:

First time I was there there was a  good pool upstream of the car park at (3) right on the bend, second visit it was  gravelled up.   Really nice place but according to reports that north shore has been very busy this year.  Had a week at The Isle last week did not fish but fine relaxing time with Steam Packet next door.

Yes fished the car park pool first day and best fish were sitting in the next pool upstream. Good food at the Steam Packet but yet to eat there.