Browning 20g firing malfunction

Shotkam

1 hour ago, DUNKS said:

Sorry folk but as I see it replacing the main spring is no help at all. In fact just the opposite as a strong main spring forces the striker harder into the cartridge. Think about it. I am being advised by a major Browning agent with one of the largest gunshops in the area. Been in business for yonks. They are not gunsmiths but have vast experience.

I am stuck here between a rock and a hard place - I have been told by a gunsmith not to change the spring and as above also don't - then on the other side I am being told change the spring by several others.

What I do know is, that just lower the firing pin is pitted and basically only Black Gold 32 and 34g cartridges have blown back through the head of their primer.

I may be shot down again for saying this, but I would suggest that the lower firing pin has reduced the thickness of the primer head metal and there has been sufficient heat and pressure in these 2 high performance cartridges with felt wads to burst through the primer head and over time damage the firing pin.

I have probably only put 750 of these particular cartridges through the gun and 4000 21g and 24g fibre clay since I last changed the bottom firing pin.

The top pin is perfect and never changed.