Pushbikes "again"

DUNKS

Mile and a quarter of dead straight busy and not too wide road. On my side a brand new freshly tarmacked pavement and cycle track, not a soul on it. Biker with his **** up and head down and where is he, No medals, he's on the road. The pavement has no roads or paths off it just a hedge. The idiot has his own empty racetrack if he cares to use it but no he would rather hold up the traffic. Not really enough room to pass him with the proper clearance, too much heavy stuff coming the other way. Just plain none caring arrogance.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, DUNKS said:

Mile and a quarter of dead straight busy and not too wide road. On my side a brand new freshly tarmacked pavement and cycle track, not a soul on it. Biker with his **** up and head down and where is he, No medals, he's on the road. The pavement has no roads or paths off it just a hedge. The idiot has his own empty racetrack if he cares to use it but no he would rather hold up the traffic. Not really enough room to pass him with the proper clearance, too much heavy stuff coming the other way. Just plain none caring arrogance.

It will upset some but this is situation normal round us.

Electric scooters are a big worry, they are illegal at the moment except for trial areas and are already causing serious injuries when being ridden on pavements which will always be illegal. Remember they are limited to 15.5mph but do not require a licence or insurance.

Vic.

Same around here, gangs of them often 3 or 4 abreast. Cause no end of trouble for tractors as they can’t overtake and the Lycra so and so’s just don’t give a monkey’s. could do with a farmer turning his much spreader on and passing them with it on. They also have a very annoying habit of constantly shouting to each other. They ride very expensive road bikes, some poor engineer has shaved grammes off every component and then these blokes ride them to the pub or the cafe and eat cakes that weigh more than the engineer saved. 

I do a reasonable amount of cycling, but on my own and I would never consider trying to force large fast moving metal things to do anything, I keep out of the way. 

Edited by oscarsdad

2 hours ago, London Best said:

Lycra louts are the main reason cars have horns.

They should be fitted with flamethrowers!

Could not agree more but my current vehicle has a horn which is just a feeble peep. How I yearn for the twin windtones I had on my old Rover.

29 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

Could not agree more but my current vehicle has a horn which is just a feeble peep. How I yearn for the twin windtones I had on my old Rover.

Cheap enough!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313426146505?_trkparms=aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20190917065201%26meid%3D69beb7dc4ba4424081129a8ec0e98068%26pid%3D101096%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D313527741470%26itm%3D313426146505%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2332490%26algv%3DSimplAMLv5PairwiseWebWithBBEV2bAndUBSourceDemotionWithUltimatelyBoughtOfCoviewV1%26brand%3DUnbranded&_trksid=p2332490.c101096.m3021&amdata=cksum%3A31342614650569beb7dc4ba4424081129a8ec0e98068|enc%3AAQAFAAACMIibNzXW9VuEV6d6YMbfGZfjr9mBv6sIqjFbVu4FszY594E05BvsApg0SkkdTG531vF9B6hRHLyAthTf%2BYDv%2FwsQdI9k6dec7Rmglrt993hENGerwn5ILU76s889JsVe0NNJxDb5VohUdjrLu9lgMlOnRE4tfihPA8dq3vkH%2F9YA8TXbb1YrtUHtgapwxObLPzAuW9o2p8%2B7jkcKUQWBQ2scOiHSc3%2FSiyN3bnVvw26RjAzfqPKb3IR%2FC2ohYfuxpwY2jTY0ciFcPTwH%2BdhRSwXeyXy5fXeRC8X%2F664K9dzKOoE5w5gfACvm1riMHkTmhWpo2SxtwKXQ3YC7CnS6mAaeudLdrKtUrgwQT%2BOrETDIpJ774sMHTs98qxz1gu1mzHJFPXEHOMaK45RtDZFXwprLLiMkPP%2BQvGe%2FcfWS26YFIidnaxi3ZmgRMkcHnds1sfY0fGj9cDHNH08jAi%2FglIUiMrIexLQF71kBmjKuLLxfd36bK3Cp3hTjWMcvCAKNW6dlKpgmewJrI9mxn1m6IMzWW0sxMKqopUni6MNDM1eziw%2BCAdH3uvlZ9gvQrHNDdUelDD6z3INZJchtpydp6nGIlzNCE5QnOYhyoc19TLe49Xwa8m5zLvvDCGze57WdGInGbNFhKqFuGy%2F28HGyxq0GlOcYDL7Hf00%2BV4YRzbdyAQwc%2FrHPfPcN9kNPxX3kmt2U%2BeGIqa5P1j%2BLkbN0dIc9bnHne3X08mGoXDXYGLv2|ampid%3APL_CLK|clp%3A2332490

Edited by amateur

System on my father in  laws old French motor was best. Quick press on the horn and you got a polite little toot. Keep it pressed and all hell broke loose.. I dont have an inch of space under my bonnet to fit air horns.

My tuned disco used to belch black smoke like a tractor in the pulling comps when you floored it wide open throttle for a couple of secs untill turbo fully spooled up.

Had many a cyclist going mad after holding you up for ages and you out your foot down to overtake, he is gone in a cloud of soot like in the clip below.

Don't mind them riding and when cars come along move over to let you past, it's when the look at you and carry on, with a massive tailback behind them. 

The ones with cameras are worst, think they can do as they like as they have a camera.

Edited by figgy

3 minutes ago, figgy said:

My tuned disco used to belch black spot like a tractor in the pulling comps when you floored it. 

Had many a cyclist going mad after holing you up for ages and you out your foot down to overtake, he is gone in a cloud of spot.

Don't mind them riding and when cars come along move over to let you past, it's when the look at you and carry on, with a massive tailback behind them. 

The ones with cameras are worst, think they can do as they like as they have a camera.

Blimey, next you'll be expecting them to be taxed and INSURED!:w00t:

Had a group the other week going a down steep hill(Broad oak to Skenfrith) but they were keeping in as I went to pass and older chap decided to ride out to the middle of the road, this looked deliberate as I had hovered behind them for some 100yds to make sure the road was clear to pass, on locking up the wheels and a big blast of the horn he soon moved in.

Down into 3rd gear and they disappeared in a cloud of smoke.

18 hours ago, VicW said:

Electric scooters are a big worry, they are illegal at the moment except for trial areas and are already causing serious injuries when being ridden on pavements which will always be illegal. Remember they are limited to 15.5mph but do not require a licence or insurance.

Vic.

They are a dream to use in Europe, flying around Seville in 30c weather, tapas bar to tapas bar. I love them.

They were also my main mode of transport in Warsaw.

I think Britains attitude to fun is a bit stuffy.

Edited by Pangolin

19 hours ago, VicW said:

Vic.

Bristol is a trial city for e-scooters but only the pink coloured hire company ones are legal. However there are plenty of private black coloured private ones which are illegal on public highways.

if you think cyclists are a problem wait until you’re confronted by e-scooters. They come at you from all angles, ride on pavements, sometimes two / three abreast chatting away. Some riders look like kids not old enough to have a provisional or full licence. It’s thought that in some cases the parents hire them. And yes, they do need a licence as stated on the .gov website.

I’m in the process of changing cars. Like my old car the new one will have a dash cam for my own peace of mind  and e scooters

21 hours ago, DUNKS said:

On my side a brand new freshly tarmacked pavement and cycle track, not a soul on it.

We have a lot of those installed at great expense round here - in one case taking a major A road that was dual carriageway down to single with a cycle lane - and for several miles.

BUT - they won't use them .......... and I'm told the reason is this.  The cycle lanes are shared with the walking lane - and where it crosses a side road - the road markings are such that pedestrians and cycle lane users have to give may to the motor carriageway traffic (i.e. stop and give way crossing every side road).  However - IF the cyclist is on the motor carriageway - then they don't have to give way to the side road - it has to give way to them - hence they all cycle on the motor carriageway and the cycle lanes remain empty.

23 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

We have a lot of those installed at great expense round here - in one case taking a major A road that was dual carriageway down to single with a cycle lane - and for several miles.

BUT - they won't use them .......... and I'm told the reason is this.  The cycle lanes are shared with the walking lane - and where it crosses a side road - the road markings are such that pedestrians and cycle lane users have to give may to the motor carriageway traffic (i.e. stop and give way crossing every side road).  However - IF the cyclist is on the motor carriageway - then they don't have to give way to the side road - it has to give way to them - hence they all cycle on the motor carriageway and the cycle lanes remain empty.

Since when have cyclists ever taken any notice of road markings anywhere?

It doesn’t happen round here.

21 minutes ago, London Best said:

Since when have cyclists ever taken any notice of road markings anywhere?

We seem to have three sorts of cyclists (on the route I used to commute on which had the lanes mentioned installed);

1. School kids - who have never followed signs, but do tend to be reasonably careful In general)
  2. The older locals who bike to work - they were good and followed the signage.  Some even used the cycle lanes.
  3. The lycra clad entitled louts - who neither follow any sign, traffic light, or take any notice of their surroundings/other traffic.  They are often bristling with cameras (on bike, helmet etc.) and seem to be out just looking for a bit of road rage.