Pushbikes "again"

DUNKS

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

We have a lot of those installed at great expense round here - in one case taking a major A road that was dual carriageway down to single with a cycle lane - and for several miles.

BUT - they won't use them .......... and I'm told the reason is this.  The cycle lanes are shared with the walking lane - and where it crosses a side road - the road markings are such that pedestrians and cycle lane users have to give may to the motor carriageway traffic (i.e. stop and give way crossing every side road).  However - IF the cyclist is on the motor carriageway - then they don't have to give way to the side road - it has to give way to them - hence they all cycle on the motor carriageway and the cycle lanes remain empty.

Yep I appreciate all that but my guy had over a mile with no pedestrians and there are no side roads or footpaths joining. AND STILL HE'S ON THE ROAD.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

We seem to have three sorts of cyclists (on the route I used to commute on which had the lanes mentioned installed);

1. School kids - who have never followed signs, but do tend to be reasonably careful In general)
  2. The older locals who bike to work - they were good and followed the signage.  Some even used the cycle lanes.
  3. The lycra clad entitled louts - who neither follow any sign, traffic light, or take any notice of their surroundings/other traffic.  They are often bristling with cameras (on bike, helmet etc.) and seem to be out just looking for a bit of road rage.

An easy way for them to increase their bank balances, lycra louts Rus.

You boys have nowt to complain about with bikes. Up here in the Borders, the council in there wisdom decided to change all speed limits in towns to 20mph for the benefit of cyclists and pedestrians, about 80 towns and small hamlets, villages. I was in Kelso the other day doing 20mph and a watt  ( anagram ) on a bike over took me 😲

Like I've said on many of this type of thread before, I'm no cyclist but I don't like the idea of regulation and rules limiting peoples freedoms if at all possible. If a cyclist holds me up I simply relax and overtake when I can, I see no point in fretting over 5mins on a journey and it's certainly nothing to endanger a life over. I can assure everyone that the same inconsiderate cyclists on the roads, will be almost all the same inconsiderate people driving cars to. 

5 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

Like I've said on many of this type of thread before, I'm no cyclist but I don't like the idea of regulation and rules limiting peoples freedoms if at all possible. If a cyclist holds me up I simply relax and overtake when I can, I see no point in fretting over 5mins on a journey and it's certainly nothing to endanger a life over. I can assure everyone that the same inconsiderate cyclists on the roads, will be almost all the same inconsiderate people driving cars to. 

I seriously wish I was a saint too.

There is a stretch of road near us. A 50mph relief road that is bob straight. It has a rather wide good surfaced path. 
that road joins a 60mph twisty country lane for about 2 miles that also had a constant steep gradient. 
I cringe when the trucks are following on tickover then go to overtake.  

How someone hasn’t been killed I will never know 

The couple staying in the holiday let have a Tesla. They have just left. OH said all she could hear was the tyres as they went over the cobbles.  Two miles of single track tarmac ‘til they get to the A686. Plenty of time to meet a cyclist cutting a corner cos he can’t hear anything coming the other way. 🙂👍

10 minutes ago, Scully said:

The couple staying in the holiday let have a Tesla. They have just left. OH said all she could hear was the tyres as they went over the cobbles.  Two miles of single track tarmac ‘til they get to the A686. Plenty of time to meet a cyclist cutting a corner cos he can’t hear anything coming the other way. 🙂👍

On the same tack, it’s getting iffy as a pedestrian here in Bristol with e-scooters. No e-scooters should ride the pavements, but they do. When challenged the Police spokesperson said they do spot checks when on patrol. What patrols? We’ve not seen police patrols in our area for decades. E-scooter riders are aware of this and carry on regardless.

5 minutes ago, Bobba said:

On the same tack, it’s getting iffy as a pedestrian here in Bristol with e-scooters. No e-scooters should ride the pavements, but they do. When challenged the Police spokesperson said they do spot checks when on patrol. What patrols? We’ve not seen police patrols in our area for decades. E-scooter riders are aware of this and carry on regardless.

A young lad nipped past us on one the other day in Carlisle. Not exactly getting the exercise we did on ours,  but his choice. 
Are cyclists allowed to cycle through pedestrianised city centres? Quite a few in Carlisle. 

25 minutes ago, Bobba said:

you need a mc donald’s close by for police assistance in bristol not seen a patrol for years 

9 hours ago, Scully said:

A young lad nipped past us on one the other day in Carlisle. Not exactly getting the exercise we did on ours,  but his choice. 
Are cyclists allowed to cycle through pedestrianised city centres? Quite a few in Carlisle. 

think the answer is in your question, Pedestrianised.

I think we are being a bit harsh here, what about the cyclists who appear out of nowhere and manage to position themselves in the box right in front of you at the lights, this is obviously to prevent you jumping the lights, should you make that mistake, thereby preventing a possible accident.  Not only that, while he slowly pulls away, the motorists waiting further back get the chance of a rest from the journey while the lights change again, how considerate is that.

On 16/05/2021 at 09:09, 12gauge82 said:

👍🏻👍🏻

People would be better off if they chilled out a bit. 

Amazed that people seem to get some sort of pleasant thought when thinking about a cyclist getting into a serious collision. 

Considering most the country is overweight we’d all be better off getting out the car and getting on the bike 🤣

5 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

👍🏻👍🏻

Amazed that people seem to get some sort of pleasant thought when thinking about a cyclist getting into a serious collision. 

Considering most the country is overweight we’d all be better off getting out the car and getting on the bike 🤣

👍

8 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

👍🏻👍🏻

Agree, let he who is without flab cast the first stone. 

They are everywhere here and if the weathers good i will join them myself. Why is the world in such a rush? It will be just the same when you get where your going. Take a chill pill get a bike and join in the fun. You'll likely live longer reduce your BP and get to enjoy a lot more from life. :lol:

I was asked in court recently why I wasn't cycling on the "cycle path". 

I explained that the "shared use pavement" runs for a mere 200 yards or so between the Aztec West roundabout and the M5, where it abruptly ends.

There is no provision at the M5 for cyclists to rejoin the A38 northbound without dismounting.  It's almost like they expect me to either join the M5 or dematerialise.  BUT when I don't use what looks superficially like the "perfectly good cycle path", you can really feel the rage & resentment from some drivers. 

DoT guidance also suggests a 12mph speed limit for cycling on shared pavements (which after all is a daft speed for negotiating your way around joggers with headphones, people with pushchairs and dogs on those extending tripwire leads).

A lot of these paths are designed by someone who is only looking at a very small area on his computer screen, and who in all likelihood has not ridden a bike since puberty.  

I will always look out for traffic building up behind me, and always do my best to faciliate a safe overtake. If riding in a group, bunching up makes overtaking easier for drivers as the road space is used more efficiently. 

1749681353_2abreast.jpg.11be361a39178fc347b3fac4e48705ef.jpg

Edited by arjimlad
duplicate image

That made me smile.....’there is no practical nor legal requirement in the UK to remain as close to the kerb as possible, or remain a maximum of two abreast’. 
There may not be, but on our local country lanes I would suggest hugging the kerb is very sensible, and whomever is riding ‘wingman’ may live ( or not ) to regret it. 🙂

Young lads in tractors come silage time, one hand on the wheel and another on their phone, going as fast as their tractor will allow. There’s been many a close call. 

I understand @Scully they're a menace - to drivers as well. 

"Hugging the kerb" causes more problems for the rider, and also for those drivers who may be encouraged to squeeze past in an overtake when there isn't enough room to do so safely. Some (older?) drivers think cyclists should be no more than 30cm from the kerb at all times but it's just not what's taught nowadays, for good reasons.