Pushbikes "again"

DUNKS

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, arjimlad said:

I understand @Scully they're a menace - to drivers as well. 

"Hugging the kerb" causes more problems for the rider, and also for those drivers who may be encouraged to squeeze past in an overtake when there isn't enough room to do so safely. Some (older?) drivers think cyclists should be no more than 30cm from the kerb at all times but it's just not what's taught nowadays, for good reasons. 

I can’t blame cyclists for keeping out of the kerbs; I wouldn’t ride over every drain cover either as many aren’t even flush with the road, but I can’t help but think some take needless risks bearing in mind who is going to come off worse if they meet something. 
I have literally just returned from walking the dog, and was forced to a sudden halt by a cyclist coming round a corner on my side of the road. They don’t help themselves at all really. 🤷‍♂️

Yeah, @Scully we do get dilberts on bikes, on foot, riding scooters, etc, heck many of them even drive motor vehicles !  

I saw a scooterist riding on the wrong side of the road yesterday into oncoming traffic - his side of the road was clear, he was just being an ar*e.  

10 minutes ago, arjimlad said:

Or stay on the road, lawfully. 

That roundabout it bloody lethal.

I'd suggest dismounting, not because I have a problem with you being on the road, but I have direct experience of commuting there for an 18mth period.

Incidentally, there's also scan provision for pedestrians.  A 'toucan' crossing of some sort is in order....

7 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

That roundabout it bloody lethal.

I'd suggest dismounting, not because I have a problem with you being on the road, but I have direct experience of commuting there for an 18mth period.

Incidentally, there's also scan provision for pedestrians.  A 'toucan' crossing of some sort is in order....

N-bound pedestrians now have toucan crossings over both sliproads, but s-bound there's nothing, and you can't see what the lights are doing to judge when it's safe to cross the M5 entry sliproad. Southbound it's safer for a cyclist to stay on the road and benefit from a green light in your favour rather than trying to guess when it's safe to cross, although you need to ride confidently & own the lane. 

The council say it might get improved in about 2023...  🙁

Yes it's a cluster round there, the overflow car park was the other side of the roundabout and I had to negotiate crossing as a pedestrian what is effectively a busy on-ramp several times.

But there's plenty of money to out-Sadiq Sadiq in Bristol city centre by creating pinchpoints where vehicles now cannot move out the way of emergency vehicles - similar to that famous video in London - St Phillips' Bridge, I'm looking at you....

There are good and bad in all races and nations and idiots with all forms of transport. I have no knowledge of the roundabout in question, and have to say I have not ridden a cycle since 1966, but nothing would tempt me to try and ride a bike around an area with motorway slip roads, dual carriageways, large traffic islands, etc, etc. Pure stupidity. 

Edited by London Best

1 hour ago, arjimlad said:

Yeah, @Scully we do get dilberts on bikes, on foot, riding scooters, etc, heck many of them even drive motor vehicles !  

I saw a scooterist riding on the wrong side of the road yesterday into oncoming traffic - his side of the road was clear, he was just being an ar*e.  

I agree, he was. He was also unaccountable, unlike motorists. This is my biggest bugbear regarding cyclists. 

Poorly designed cycle paths, not fit for purpose, at times placing cyclists at more risk than just cycling on the road. 

Add in parked cars, road work signs, pot holes, drain covers (that are often damaged or dangerous) and pedestrians... 

It doesn’t take much to work out why it’s significantly easier and often safer for cyclists to travel along the road. 

4 hours ago, London Best said:

Fixed that for you.

A message to all cyclists

Move over into middle of road and own it as you would in any other vehicle....

and don't forget to overtake traffic in 20mph zones when they are holding you up....

😜