Corncrake

islandgun

See if this works . hmm was hoping to do it without the download, but yeh its on there, having to keep our windows shut at night as his continual crakeing keeps us awake, we have a video of him and a mate last year, i just hope she turns up again this year

Edited by islandgun

A superb photo I G , all credit to your daughter .

I have only ever seen one pair and that was many years ago , I thought at first they were young Partridges got up and it wasn't till they were going away I realised what they were.

I am not sure as it is a while ago but I believe at the time there was talk about some were released by the local estates .

29 minutes ago, marsh man said:

A superb photo I G , all credit to your daughter .

I have only ever seen one pair and that was many years ago , I thought at first they were young Partridges got up and it wasn't till they were going away I realised what they were.

I am not sure as it is a while ago but I believe at the time there was talk about some were released by the local estates .

I think there are some introduced breeding birds in the Ouse/Nene washes, we still have quite a few here in the western isles. my croft seems popular for the first arrivals as i have a good lot of coppiced willow and long un-grazed weed growth, which offers suitable cover

Lovely birds Corncrakes. The first one I ever saw and heard was from the bridge at Wiveton, looking south towards Glandford, Norfolk.

In the 1990's I fished for salmon and sea trout on Benbecula , in the Outer Hebrides and saw three in a week ! 

We used a hair comb and grease proof paper to call them. It worked.  

11 minutes ago, islandgun said:

I think there are some introduced breeding birds in the Ouse/Nene washes, we still have quite a few here in the western isles. my croft seems popular for the first arrivals as i have a good lot of coppiced willow and long un-grazed weed growth, which offers suitable cover

There could well be the day when they are again a welcome addition to the countryside in our neck of the woods , a lot of the marshland have now got English Nature involved in cutting out scrapes and putting in metal dams in the dykes to control the height of the water to encourage Waders and wildfowl , also on our local estate they are setting aside 1000 acres for Wild Boars and other wild animals to improve the woodland and only this last week they are going to release ( might already done so ) a Sea Eagle around the Holkham area in North Norfolk , why ? , I am not really sure:hmm:

2 hours ago, Whitebridges said:

Lovely birds Corncrakes. The first one I ever saw and heard was from the bridge at Wiveton, looking south towards Glandford, Norfolk.

In the 1990's I fished for salmon and sea trout on Benbecula , in the Outer Hebrides and saw three in a week ! 

We used a hair comb and grease proof paper to call them. It worked.  

Im sure that would be easy to mimic the call with a comb

1 hour ago, chrisjpainter said:

Lovely photo! My friend threw a boot at one once. He was so enraged by its calls that he hurled a boot through the bedroom window into the semi-darkness of Lewis. 

He missed. 

I can get that alright, i have also been tempted !

2 hours ago, marsh man said:

There could well be the day when they are again a welcome addition to the countryside in our neck of the woods , a lot of the marshland have now got English Nature involved in cutting out scrapes and putting in metal dams in the dykes to control the height of the water to encourage Waders and wildfowl , also on our local estate they are setting aside 1000 acres for Wild Boars and other wild animals to improve the woodland and only this last week they are going to release ( might already done so ) a Sea Eagle around the Holkham area in North Norfolk , why ? , I am not really sure:hmm:

I'm not really getting the point of releasing captive bred sea eagles, although they are a fine sight, [perhaps they would take seal pups from Blakeney .] it would be great to encourage Corncrakes and waders though, although i imagine they return to the place of their birth

13 minutes ago, Whitebridges said:

A while ago I read something about the Hebridean Corncrake breeding environment had taken a step backwards due to hedgehog and rat predation.

Three "introduced mammals" removal plans for the Western Isles. I was involved with the Mink project at its outset

http://www.hebrides-news.com/uist-hedgehog-removal-plan-19215.html

https://ww2.rspb.org.uk/our-work/conservation/shiantisles/work/index.aspx

https://www.nature.scot/professional-advice/land-and-sea-management/managing-wildlife/hebridean-mink-project

19 hours ago, islandgun said:

I see under the Shiant project the non-native Black Rat was listed as a target.

Thanks for these links.    

1 hour ago, Whitebridges said:

I see under the Shiant project the non-native Black Rat was listed as a target.

Thanks for these links.    

A friend of mine was shipping out the poison to the shiants ! . Interesting how conservationist arn't afraid to take direct action when the need arises yet dont speak out against the likes of WJ when they deny theres a problem, . Doubt theres much money for the RSPB listing their achievements re predator control from their  birder subscribers.😉 

Edited by islandgun