Trout

Bigbob

I had a hannkering for a bit of fried trout and asked a mate for a trout , Anyway they dropped  of this trout as long as my arm and maybe as thick now there's only me that would eat it in the house and as i was going nightshift i just stuck it in the freezer . Now i have to do something with it but after i defrost it i wont be able to refrost it so im resigned to the idea i will be eating it for a week so ideas ??> 

8 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

Why not make some individual fish pies with some prawns and smoked haddock.  Cook them up and freeze them. You can then freeze separately after cooking.

smoked haddock in milk is superb for fish pies....just thicken the milk up with a bit of cornflower and add shrimps ...other fish and crab and mash tats on the top bung it in the oven serve up with asparagus..............yum yum

Wrap it with tin foil, a *** of butter and drop of lemon juice and bake it at 200c until it starts to smell nice then it's ready, have your dinner with spuds/salad. With leftovers you can do as suggested above, fishcakes, fish pie ( add peas and you get an Admirals pie ) eat the pie in a couple of days and freeze the fish cakes; job done

2 hours ago, Houseplant said:

All our trout gets turned in to gravad lax. I've just bought some cold smoking equipment, so will give that a go as well. 

Same here but just bought a bradley smoker but couldn't find a trout for love or money in our local Morrison's over the weekend ended up buying some mackerel instead lol 

Getting idle. Just buy smoked trout from Aldi these days and it is good, far better than smoked salmon.

If you have a large trout then cut into 1 1/2 inch steaks and freeze individually ... vacuum pack if you have one. Then you can pull out just when and how to need it.  Brilliant grilled on one of those copper sheets on the barbie with a sprinkle of Tony C's Cajun mix.