Floating Fly Lines

hushpower

1 hour ago, Smokersmith said:

Sunray have a deal on at the moment ... 

Their Competition line with overhang marker should suit what you're looking for well.

I'd tend to avoid - They are a marmite line and he tends to sell AFTM #9 lines as AFTM #7 and you wonder how you cast so far. Lots of issues with lies cracking/splitting.

I like Airflo and Rio are fine, but you honestly can't go wrong with John Norris or Snowbee

1 hour ago, Smokersmith said:

Their Competition line with overhang marker should suit what you're looking for well.

If you want an overhang marker, get a black marker pen

17 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

I agree with this

“I like Airflo and Rio are fine, but you honestly can't go wrong with John Norris or Snowbee”

Have you tried these John Norris cheap fly lines because they have some on offer at moment , if ok they are very cheap.

6 minutes ago, Morkin said:

Have you tried these John Norris cheap fly lines because they have some on offer at moment , if ok they are very cheap.

I have not bought one for a while but the last were good value for money. They have upgraded since and have some good reviews on fly fishing forums.

The cheap Norris lines are ok - they need to be given a good stretch after being on the reel for a while - ideally on a huge trout but in my case a fence post. They tend to have more memory than my Rio lines but considering some of the Norris lines I have were about £3 they are really good value - much better than mill end lines etc 

Thanks i had a airflow wf8 for about 20 years i paid £40 cracking line but after cracks in the line wear & tear an standing on it. I replaced it with a £14 john  norris one great for the first 2 years then cracks appeared down the line giving vibrations off when retrieving. Got a £7 one last season but didnt seem right. So over the years companys have been bought out new lines come on to the market etc so was seek your opinions cheers 

The "new" Airflo 40+ head and integrated shooting line is very good.  I have fished with 2  of the 40+ predecessors, and this is the best.

I use a full floater for use off the bank at Grafham and Rutland, and a suitable Polyleader, according how deep you want to fish.  Using just an Inty poly and fluoro it gets pretty deep on a slow retrieve, ideal for dam work with buzzers, shrimp etc. 

Round the banks maybe a floating poly and favourite nylon is enough :)  

Tight lines 

i had a diamond taper shooting line a few years ago...loved it until it got nicked out of my bag.............got to admit havnt come across a good cheap line yet....some of the lines i bought the cost was eyewatering........

It’s a bit like cartridges ... all do a job!

I recommended the Sunray as they’re a bit different, and I can imagine them working well for that application.

I’ve also got Barrio, Rio, and Hardy lines which are also good, and won’t let you down. The only one I wouldn’t recommend would be a Norris ... I had one as part of a kit, and it just didn’t seem to come out of the rings at all.

I have used the John Norris lines for a few years now and have no complaints.I thought I would use one a season and at that price it was nothing to worry about but I found the lines lasted well and I was getting 1 or 2 seasons from them.I do a lot of boat fishing and inadvertently stand on the lines a lot which does them no good at all.If I was solely bank or river fishing I am sure they would last for 4 or 5 years.

The year before last a friend was telling me of a  company called Maxcatch who were producing very cheap lines,reels and rods etc and I bought a reel and a line of them just to try it.Without getting into a discussion about buying stuff from China I got the reel for £8 posted to the door and the line for £3.I have used the reel and line ever since and both have been perfect. You have to wait a  while on the delivery but it is free so I didn't mind that and at the time there was a discount code which I am not sure would still be applicable.

On 18/05/2021 at 05:37, gmm243 said:

I have used the John Norris lines for a few years now and have no complaints.I thought I would use one a season and at that price it was nothing to worry about but I found the lines lasted well and I was getting 1 or 2 seasons from them.I do a lot of boat fishing and inadvertently stand on the lines a lot which does them no good at all.If I was solely bank or river fishing I am sure they would last for 4 or 5 years.

The year before last a friend was telling me of a  company called Maxcatch who were producing very cheap lines,reels and rods etc and I bought a reel and a line of them just to try it.Without getting into a discussion about buying stuff from China I got the reel for £8 posted to the door and the line for £3.I have used the reel and line ever since and both have been perfect. You have to wait a  while on the delivery but it is free so I didn't mind that and at the time there was a discount code which I am not sure would still be applicable.

Hello, I checked out Max catch, some nice fishing gear, there's cheap Chinese and quality chinese , even some well know brand rods and reels/lines are made in China 

I found Maxcatch through another forum.Generally the reports of their gear is pretty good and they have free postage.When this is combined with a discount code then it usually works out pretty cheap.The delivery time is slow but with free postage you can expect that.

I have fished with their reels and lines and can not fault what I have but I imagine that with time they might not last.My Dad was given a Hardy Princess years ago and when I was young he also  bought me one-person 30 years ago now.It is still going strong bar the handle falling off once but that is now fixed. I can see it doing my lifetime and being passed on to my boys.

I don't think any reel that is under £20 is likely to last as long.