Shooting over crops

AD5693

1 hour ago, Scully said:

Ask the landowner, after explaining the difference. 
The landowners I know aren’t bothered too much either way. One is toxic the other unsightly. 🤷‍♂️

The plastic is unsightly and toxic .

The lead is supposedly harmful .

7 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, you could ask the landowner what he is happy for you to use, ?, I am going to try some steel shot 7.5s from just carts soon 

Don't forget to go up 2 shot sizes in steel.  7.5 may be ok for clays but I think you will need 5s + for pigeons  :)  You  won't get enough hitting power from small steel.

22 minutes ago, stockybasher said:

Don't forget to go up 2 shot sizes in steel.  7.5 may be ok for clays but I think you will need 5s + for pigeons    You  won't get enough hitting power from small steel.

They’re perfectly ok for decoyed pigeons, shot some good bags using that size. 

No one have mentioned what crops the op intend shooting over , where once I could shoot over most crops , if not all the crops grown in the area , now a days a lot of the farmers are not keen in you shooting over Peas when well in pod , the same with Lettuce's , Broccoli , Cauliflower's and so on once the crop advance from the plant stage to when it get close in lifting, if the crop is screened and shot is detected they will reject it weather it lead or steel :hmm:

11 hours ago, AD5693 said:

Hello

I am fairly new to shooting and am just wondering what the deal is with using lead shot over growing crops. Is it an issue or do I not need to worry about it?

Thanks

Lead/fibre is still the main default for cereals and OSR etc. 
Don’t worry just go for it - and good luck!! 

11 hours ago, marsh man said:

No one have mentioned what crops the op intend shooting over , where once I could shoot over most crops , if not all the crops grown in the area , now a days a lot of the farmers are not keen in you shooting over Peas when well in pod , the same with Lettuce's , Broccoli , Cauliflower's and so on once the crop advance from the plant stage to when it get close in lifting, if the crop is screened and shot is detected they will reject it weather it lead or steel 

This.

One of my farmers started renting a few fields to a salad growing company.  He asked me to clear the birds from these fields , but I had to explain to him why I couldn't . My farmer hadn't realised the issue as he'd never grown salad.

13 hours ago, mel b3 said:

This.

One of my farmers started renting a few fields to a salad growing company.  He asked me to clear the birds from these fields , but I had to explain to him why I couldn't . My farmer hadn't realised the issue as he'd never grown salad.

This is exactly what happened to me , one big farm I went on also let some of his land for growing lettuce's , I had seen several Pigeons were going on the plants so I asked the farmer if it was o k to have a go , he said it was alright with him but as he had let the fields out he would have to ask the contractors , he got back in touch and said no as they didn't want to take the risk with any shot going on the crops , in the end they put gas guns and with people constantly working on the fields irrigating the crop they didn't get that much damage from the Pigeons.

With the super markets getting more stricter on shot game now , the problem shooting over ripe crops can only get worse for the Pigeon shooter .

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

This is exactly what happened to me , one big farm I went on also let some of his land for growing lettuce's , I had seen several Pigeons were going on the plants so I asked the farmer if it was o k to have a go , he said it was alright with him but as he had let the fields out he would have to ask the contractors , he got back in touch and said no as they didn't want to take the risk with any shot going on the crops , in the end they put gas guns and with people constantly working on the fields irrigating the crop they didn't get that much damage from the Pigeons.

With the super markets getting more stricter on shot game now , the problem shooting over ripe crops can only get worse for the Pigeon shooter .

I had similar shooting over a field of peas a few years ago, but was allowed to use steel shot. Apparently, the littering of plastic wads was less of a concern than lead shot in the crop.

OB