Any data networking experts on here? Burying Cat5/6

Evening all, wondering if there's any data networking /IT types on here who've come across this.

Just had an offer accepted on a property, it's in a rural location and has a garage at the bottom of the garden (circa 30m away) which will make a great workshop/office.  To which end I'd like to run some IP cameras and have wired network connection available should I go down the 'home office' route.

Previously, this has been easy.  2 x SWA Cat 5e cables and run next to the power cable in a trench.  Terminate SWA glands in the usual manner, affix to metal box and punchdown twisted pairs into terminals.  Run patch lead from metal box to switch.

However, I'm right next to the tallest building for miles around (the church spire), and it strikes me that burying cables in the ground in a lightning prone area is a good way to end up with fried networking equipment.

I did look up what a length of pre-terminated fibre would be, and it's actually not that much more expensive compared to 2 runs of SWA Cat 5/6.  But then what?  The armouring is still SWA or CST which, presumably would still be capable of creating some pretty spectacular induced currents in the event of a nearby lightening strike, which in turn would probably still jump gaps inside the metal junction box and fry stuff.

So what would you do?  Just not worry about it? 

I suppose the ultimate solution is bury conduit in a separate trench, and terminate the (non-armoured)fibre in all plastic JBs at either end...Seems a little overkill, even for me.

I have memories of fried dial-up modems from the late 90s and wish to avoid that with comparatively expensive IP cams and my main switch if at all possible.

Edited by udderlyoffroad

Hi bellow ground in cheep conduit- definitely not overhead seen some very expensive kit knocked out this way.

if the garage has not got power run the cat 5 under ( not too close ) the armoured power cable as protection for spade damage 

I would use pre made and terminate to a small cat 5 switch. I would also run a spare cable always useful

we have mobilised about 120 staff from the office due to COVID so don’t underestimate the modern Ethernet over mains adapters if power is already in the garage!

Atb Agriv8 

As above, 20mm conduit and Cat6 under ground. Cat5/5e might be OK, but 6 is so readily available and you'd get better performance out of your cameras, especially if WFH as well. Run a spare cable or a pull-string to save you faffing later when you need the extra bandwidth ;) Toolstation are the cheapest I've found locally for the conduit and connectors, but be careful with their inspection boxes, they don't come with lids, screws or gaskets!

Grab a cheap gigabit switch or wireless access point with more ports than you need. You could use an old/spare router if you wanted wi-fi, but you'd need to know how to disable or modify the DHCP settings so you don't get conflicts.

On 19/05/2021 at 19:34, Mr wilberts said:

25 mm water pipe under ground will protect the cat5 and not be affected by lightning 👍

Sounds like the simplest solution!!  Thanks, genuinely hadn't considered water pipe, even though am running water to garage too...

On 19/05/2021 at 12:29, Demonic69 said:

Grab a cheap gigabit switch or wireless access point with more ports than you need. You could use an old/spare router if you wanted wi-fi, but you'd need to know how to disable or modify the DHCP settings so you don't get conflicts.

Thanks, yep have used the old router+turn off DHCP trick before.  On the Netgear ones at least, you can even turn off NAT so you effectively just end up with a switch. 

Have a set of AP Deco meshes, a 3pack will do all but the largest of houses and costs less than £100.  But I'm old school and like wired connections wherever possible.  Especially for IP cams.

Always run spare cables too.  Network cable is cheap, my time digging isn't!

On 19/05/2021 at 19:34, Mr wilberts said:

25 mm water pipe under ground will protect the cat5 and not be affected by lightning 👍

If you're using water pipe label it up well. Nowt worse than trying to figure out what a pipe is when someone's used the wrong thing for the wrong job (aesthetically, practically it's just as good if not better and cheaper than flex conduit) 😂😂

On 22/05/2021 at 12:50, udderlyoffroad said:

Thanks, yep have used the old router+turn off DHCP trick before.  On the Netgear ones at least, you can even turn off NAT so you effectively just end up with a switch. 

Have a set of AP Deco meshes, a 3pack will do all but the largest of houses and costs less than £100.  But I'm old school and like wired connections wherever possible.  Especially for IP cams.

I've got the similar Tenda mesh kit. For £90 I can't fault them, not sure I trust the ethernet port to be that reliable though :D