ZAN slugs

villaman

Ordered 800  .25 ZAN slugs on Sunday night  . Well arrived today , so it would be rude not to test them tonight. Fired 20 , 33 gr through the chronograph, 18 @ 981 FPS, 2 @ 979 FPS  ,  17 , 35 gr @ 956 FPS & 3 @ 954 FPS , not bad at all 

At 30  -50 yards slug on slug , so went out side to try at100 yard  , well 97 yard as a pack of blocks in the way 

All I can say wow , wow , wow , first pic bottom slug my fault & second pic , one on the right once again my fault 

Didn’t need to alter any settings on gun or scope

50A9CD33-7150-4220-86F1-200862F9058F.jpeg

A10F1A28-ABAD-47A0-9179-35AA807EF7B0.jpeg

7 hours ago, villaman said:

Ordered 800  .25 ZAN slugs on Sunday night  . Well arrived today , so it would be rude not to test them tonight. Fired 20 , 33 gr through the chronograph, 18 @ 981 FPS, 2 @ 979 FPS  ,  17 , 35 gr @ 956 FPS & 3 @ 954 FPS , not bad at all 

At 30  -50 yards slug on slug , so went out side to try at100 yard  , well 97 yard as a pack of blocks in the way 

All I can say wow , wow , wow , first pic bottom slug my fault & second pic , one on the right once again my fault 

Didn’t need to alter any settings on gun or scope

50A9CD33-7150-4220-86F1-200862F9058F.jpeg

A10F1A28-ABAD-47A0-9179-35AA807EF7B0.jpeg

Can't argue with the numbers or the shooting 👏👏

7 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, is that FAC air ?

Yep , fx impact

7 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

You can buy 100 Eley HV .22lr rounds for much the same price, still travelling at 1000+ fps and carrying nearly 100 ft/lb at 100 yards.

But can you get a group like that at 100+ yards 

5 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

"I" cant cos my gun is a cheap sporting rifle and the cheaper rounds would be unlikely to give match grade accuracy, you would need something like Eley Tenex, but I could match it with a .17hmr. A decent .22 match rifle will group just as well.

It doesn’t have to be a match rifle. My 14 inch barrelled anschutz 1417 will shoot match ammo that tight at 100 yards if I do my bit.😀👍

4 hours ago, Mice! said:

But could you use those rifles and rounds on flat stony ground?

Air rifles have come on in recent years. 

I wouldn’t use a .22 rimfire on flat stoney ground, but I would and do use fac air with standard diabolo pellets. The pellets will ricochet but won’t go far as they are pretty much destroyed when they hit the ground, not like a 40 grain bullet. Airgun “slugs” on the other hand, you’re getting into the same territory with regards to ricochet at high power fac air, especially with bigger calibres. 18 grain .22 pellets at 35ish ft lb are brilliant where rimfire can’t be used. Airgun slugs have their place though, I’ve been using 21 grain h&n hp slugs at 930 fps, very good, very effective, but for shooting up into trees etc I would stick with pellets and turn the power down.

4 hours ago, Rimfireboy said:

It doesn’t have to be a match rifle. My 14 inch barrelled anschutz 1417 will shoot match ammo that tight at 100 yards if I do my bit.😀👍

Agree, my Annie .17hmr will pretty much one hole ragged group but my CZ wont, mate has the same gun and his does, he could take 100 yard Rabbits using subs all day long with head shots, but he is a superb shot.

No Mice! obviously not, but if I had to use a .22lr on such ground I would choose a lower velocity lighter bullet.

1 hour ago, Rimfireboy said:

I wouldn’t use a .22 rimfire on flat stoney ground, but I would and do use fac air with standard diabolo pellets. The pellets will ricochet but won’t go far as they are pretty much destroyed when they hit the ground, not like a 40 grain bullet. Airgun “slugs” on the other hand, you’re getting into the same territory with regards to ricochet at high power fac air, especially with bigger calibres. 18 grain .22 pellets at 35ish ft lb are brilliant where rimfire can’t be used. Airgun slugs have their place though, I’ve been using 21 grain h&n hp slugs at 930 fps, very good, very effective, but for shooting up into trees etc I would stick with pellets and turn the power down.

Good information 👍

1 hour ago, bruno22rf said:

Agree, my Annie .17hmr will pretty much one hole ragged group but my CZ wont, mate has the same gun and his does, he could take 100 yard Rabbits using subs all day long with head shots, but he is a superb shot.

No Mice! obviously not, but if I had to use a .22lr on such ground I would choose a lower velocity lighter bullet.

The more I learn about fac the less I want one sometimes,  I'm happy shooting into trees knowing there are branches behind the target ie squirrel, but obviously when the power increases the need for a better backstop increases. 

2 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Mice  .So your solution is a .177 fac shooting pellets  when they come down to earth they do so with a 1/3  less energy than a .22 sub 12.and travel  less distance  

I'm with you on that, I've still not found I need fac yet, although that extra power would be useful. 

Probably be different if I was shooting a lot of rabbits. 

27 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I'm with you on that, I've still not found I need fac yet, although that extra power would be useful. 

Probably be different if I was shooting a lot of rabbits. 

It's not so much the extra power (although there is an increase at usable range which is good ) but its the flatter trajectory that makes fac .177 so useful .

If I run exacts at around 975 fps .I can zero at 50 yds .which means I can aim bang on from 20 to 55 yds with minimal  hold over and hold under .

I know ive said it before. But of the .177 .22 and.25 fac airs .it was the first slot I filled and the last I would get rid of  .