Which one?

s400

Hi all @ the pigeonwatch. I'm kinda new here. I say "kinda" coz was a member years ago but my PC trashed itself big style! (grrr lol) I fancy taking up the skill of HFT but can't decide on which gun. I have a short list which vary on price. My list is s follows:-

1    Air arms pro sport

2  Weirauch 97 black line stl

3  Air arms TX 200

Hope you guys can help. Kindest regards Gary

I would say by far the most popular is the TX of the 3 you've mentioned.

Seen 1 Prosport used but the pose a problem with the long underlever and fitting a hamster, it was attached to the lever in case you're wondering. And I've seen a few black 97's, one in particular comes to mind with titanium innards including a small piston. 

Most are Tx200 and I suspect it's because they're Bob on out of the box. 

But I'd agree with Mice and go with the pcp unless you're after making life "a challenge" in which case you might consider a 22, but that way madness lies! 

Whilst I'm sure the answers are perfectly valid, how do you know if a gun preferred by someone else will be good for you? If I was spending good money why would it be acceptable to assume it needed 'tuning' before even pulling the trigger? 

Deep down you know what you want, go with your gut. 

By all means go with your gut armed with information about the potential pitfalls of the rifles you mentioned.

Most HFT boingers go with the TX. There'll be a reason for that and it's not about buy British or brand loyalty.

Hello,

I have had all of those 3 previously.

TX200 was great out of the box, but I felt it was fiddly to load especially whilst wearing gloves.

HW97 was a dog out of the box, but once a vmach kit was in, it was as good as the TX200. A bit easier to load.

Prosport was again great out of the box, beautiful looking gun (the best springer ever IMHO) but when scoped really heavy.

Sold them all and moved into pcp’s…..but still had a springer itch. I now have a HW95 in a CS700 thumbhole, which I will never sell. All of your choices are excellent guns in their own right so I would recommend, if possible, having a good go or at least shoulder all of your options.

Best of luck.

Edited by Taileron

I have a HW97k, wooden stock. Its been a fantastic gun straight out of the box. Very accurate and easy to shoot. 

If money was no object I would have certainly had a TX200 though. British build and better designed in my opinion than the HW.  But after hours of reading, and for what I wanted to do with gun, really couldn’t justify the extra £90 the TX200 was over the HW. 

I would also look strongly at a Walter LGU as well.

4 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Very nice.

Cheers. The 95 runs at 11.6 like a metronome, but my current favourite is the 44. I completely underestimated the level of skill pistol shooting requires, it’s nice to have something I can do at home during lockdown as my shotguns were just gathering dust.