Compressor

walshie

I want a compressor in the garage but I know nothing about them. I won't be spraying cars, just topping up tyres, blowing dirt off things, maybe a windy gun and only one tool at a time.

Looking online the choices are endless. With or without oil, tank size, HP etc etc.

I know the answer is "how long is a piece of string?" but is there a sort of "standard" size for a home garage and any makes to look out for or avoid?

Cheers.

if you are going to run a tool off it ...you will need more than your "lidl! compressor..........like greenhouses...get the bigger one more than you think you need...

agricultural auctions are a good source 

i would prefer a twin cylinder with oil sump......and maybe for your tool get an in-line oiler.....

2.5 HP, preferably 3HP.  50 L tank minimum if you want to run a windy gun, 100 L is better.

It is possible to run a windy on a 25l tank - I used to - but the air volume requirements meant it quickly run out of puff and you'd have to wait for it to recharge.

Do not bother with oil-less/quiet compressors.  Completely asthmatic and useless for 'real' work, unless you're doing airbrush work or dentistry.

Avoid Machine Mart - over priced chinese stuff.  Buy the same machine online for much less and it'll be delivered to you...

Don't get too hung up on tank size, 50l is plenty enough for home use. Free air delivery measured in Cubic ft/min (cfm) is more important. To do most shed tasks comfortably you will want over 9cfm. Most DIY compressors will only go up to 11cfm anyway, above that you'll be looking at 3 phase mains machines or ones with big hp  petrol or diesel generators.  

I got mine in a sale at machine mart, a sealey bandit 50. Does all I need it to (belt sanding, cutting disc etc). Sgs engineering do good home use ones, I get a lot of tools from there now, search online for them.

Edited by adzyvilla

1 hour ago, adzyvilla said:

Don't get too hung up on tank size, 50l is plenty enough for home use. Free air delivery measured in Cubic ft/min (cfm) is more important. To do most shed tasks comfortably you will want over 9cfm. Most DIY compressors will only go up to 11cfm anyway, above that you'll be looking at 3 phase mains machines or ones with big hp  petrol or diesel generators.  

I got mine in a sale at machine mart, a sealey bandit 50. Does all I need it to (belt sanding, cutting disc etc). Sgs engineering do good home use ones, I get a lot of tools from there now, search online for them.

Literally just looked at SGS a minute ago. 👍

1 hour ago, adzyvilla said:

Free air delivery measured in Cubic ft/min (cfm) is more important.

Not so!  Or at least, would that it were so:

FAD is not an apples for apples comparison.  Some unscrupulous manufacturers actually quote FAD at 0 bar, i.e. when the compressor is free to vent.  Some quote it at 6 bar, which is more useful for air tools.  Most don't even bother, and actually only quote 'displacement'; which is a theoretical number that doesn't take into account losses, which is the 9 CFM number you talk about comes from.

If you wanted to do an actual comparison between manufacturers, you need to look at an actual compressor curve of (Free Air) displacement v pressure.  They're not, however going to publish these for DIY compressors. 

This is why tank size and motor HP is a better guide.  On a single phase supply, there's only so much useful work you'll get out of a motor.  A larger tank will, for a short time give you a larger buffer to allow the compressor to catch up.

I do agree that 50l should be plenty for DIY use, but given the choice /space/money I'd go for 100 l

I have had compressors from 25l up to 200l. The best I had - regret getting rid - an Ingersoll rand 100l upright. I am on cordless impact wrenches and only use air for blowing dirt away, the odd spot sanding, a bit of paint spraying and an air saw. Currently, I have a Lidl 50l which is fine for the air gun, okay for limited use of my impact wrench. It isn't much use for air sanders or continuous use.

It is against everything I say about spanners etc - I have a lot of expensive sockets, ratchets and spanners - but I have gone cheap on the compressor. It does sufficient for my needs. I don't use it enough to justify a large / expensive one.

14 hours ago, Gordon R said:

Currently, I have a Lidl 50l which is fine for the air gun, okay for limited use of my impact wrench. It isn't much use for air sanders or continuous use.

Same, Lidl 50l job, but I got the 3hp version, which they appear to have stopped doing.  Can recommend if you happen to be in the market when they come on sale.

Most of my ugga-dugga'ing is done these days with a £30 chinesium impact wrench, which takes Makita batteries.  Will happily undo M16 tow bar bolts.  Still glad I have a manly(ish) compressor though.