Airsporter

williamwansbeck

8 minutes ago, Pushandpull said:

I have a similar tired but sound Airsporter.

Where should I go to get it serviced and tuned please ?

If you are mechanically minded you can do it yourself for a song

Service Kit For Air Sporter – Redbeck Shooting Supplies (airrifleshop.co.uk) ok, sold out, but it was the first one I tried. They are out there, might even get a you tube vid of how to do it if you look.

11 hours ago, williamwansbeck said:

They are private allotments well oot the way of buildings.

Bisley Long range gold were recommended and they seem sound.

Most definitely a no no. 

Private allotments are still designated a public place in law so it's use will be illegal read your lease agreement. 

Also if you hold a sgc or fac a visit from firearms gang will cause you a lot of pain. 

Try a kit with a standard main spring and make sure it has a beech seal Knibbs is a good place to look, I have a supersport  with titan internals (not fitted by me) the spring made it harsh so I had to cut a fair few coils off, ease to over spring some guns you will gain some power but I just think if it makes it a harsh fire cycle it's a poor trade off. 

12 hours ago, mellors said:

Most definitely a no no. 

Private allotments are still designated a public place in law so it's use will be illegal read your lease agreement. 

Also if you hold a sgc or fac a visit from firearms gang will cause you a lot of pain. 

I'm not so sure about that. Without knowing all the facts it would be hard to guess. However if its a public place place the public have access to it whether fee paying or otherwise. So if you need a key to get access then the public don't and its not a public place. 

12 hours ago, GingerCat said:

I'm not so sure about that. Without knowing all the facts it would be hard to guess. However if its a public place place the public have access to it whether fee paying or otherwise. So if you need a key to get access then the public don't and its not a public place. 

I see what your saying but there have been 2 cases in our local paper. The council have said its illegal and if caught expect a prosecution. 

Regarding private allotments permission from the land owner would be required to rely on the general licence and i don't think would be forthcoming. The  tenants will not have the vermin control as its a shared property. 

I could be wrong but i wouldn't risk it without something in writing. 

How I understand it is that tenants of land automatically have shooing rights on that land? Like if you rent your property for example, you would give yourself permission to shoot on that property. The property or land that you rent surely wouldn’t be a public place?....🤔 

On 19/05/2021 at 21:39, Pushandpull said:

I have a similar tired but sound Airsporter.

Where should I go to get it serviced and tuned please ?

Hello, they are not difficult to do your self, maybe change the spring, and the piston seal to the new synthetic type, saying this does you local gun shop have a gunsmith ? 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

7 hours ago, Pushandpull said:

My slight hijack here produced some DIY suggestions but nobody pointed me to an Airsporter expert. Any suggestions please ?

I don't know how local you are but if your truly stuck and local to Somerset I can do a tune and fit internals.

Thanks Chaz25, but I must be 200 miles away from you !     Indeed thanks to all those who have tried to help. I bought the rifle a few years ago on impulse because it was an unattainable dream when I was a kid and used to drool over the advertising leaflets. I will get it sorted one of these days.

7 hours ago, Pushandpull said:

Thanks Chaz25, but I must be 200 miles away from you !     Indeed thanks to all those who have tried to help. I bought the rifle a few years ago on impulse because it was an unattainable dream when I was a kid and used to drool over the advertising leaflets. I will get it sorted one of these days.

Your most welcome! I'm sure at some going your find a local smith, thou I guess there not as common as they used to be.

On 19/05/2021 at 12:54, williamwansbeck said:

50 years since i last had an air rifle,bought an Airsporter off a old lad locally,4x32  ASI tele am getting 5 in a inch at 15 yards, is this good for a 40 year old gun,i know PCP shoot much better,but am planning on killing pigeons on Allotment and this will do me.

Your old Airsporter should be doing much better than 5"at 15 yards no matter how tired it is. I would expect 1" at 20 yds with decent pellets. These are/were good quality air rifles, the earlier the better and yes, fairly easy to strip and rebuild.

It sounds to me, you have some fundamental problem with your rifle - at a guess I would say the loading tap is not exactly aligned with the barrel causing one side of the pellet to get scraped off as it gets on it's way.
A photo or serial number would help date the rifle. I guess this is a .22, the .177 is quite rare and I believe, called the Airsporter club. from memory the MK1 can be identified by tapered barrel and one piece stock, no scope grooves. Mk 11 had straight barrel and three piece stock and small half moon scope grooves. Both had the cone shaped piston with leather washer and of course, the self opening tap when cocking.

When you do decide to refurbish it, try and find an original spring rather than an uprated type, it will ruin the feel of the rifle with very little if any improved power.
Part are available from:

BSA Airsporter Mk 2 Airgun Spares
I see these people do a service kit including mainspring and instructions for the MK2 for about £35:

Mk2 Airsporter BSA - Airgun spares | Chambers Gunmakers - Airgun, Shotgun & Rifle spares. Parts for Air Arms, BSA, Crosman, Diana, Gamo, Relum, Webley, Weihrauch and many, many more

Later Airsporters just became old air guns - "O" ring piston washers, Nylon piston heads, probably made up out of the same parts bin as the Mercury etc.

The one on the right is a MK 2 dating from mid '60's, the other two are BSA "L" rifles dating from 1926-27.

VE7SLCk.png?1

1 hour ago, 1066 said:

Your old Airsporter should be doing much better than 5"at 15 yards no matter how tired it is.

If you read his post again, he says "5 in a inch",,,, not "a 5 inch group" 😉 Specsavers [joke] ? 🤓 🤭 😅

1 hour ago, JKD said:

If you read his post again, he says "5 in a inch",,,, not "a 5 inch group" 😉 Specsavers [joke] ? 🤓 🤭 😅

😳😳! OOPS! Specsavers here I come. :) Teach me to read the post properly. 

Yes, just needs a fettle up and 
find some decent pellets for it. Splendid rifles, I have two Mk2's.

I would suggest looking at one of the sample packs to see what suits your rifle best.
Pellpax Pellet Sample Pack .22 - Airgun Pellets | Pellpax

.22 Pellet Sample Pack | Airgun Pellet Packs | Cheshire Gun Room

There are several suppliers out there. I've used AA Field and JSB Exact that seem to go well enough.
These were designed for just your problem - I've never tried them and they are now out of production.

DEFIANT VINTAGE 5.60mm .22 Box of 500 pellets (pelletperfect.co.uk)