Airsporter

williamwansbeck

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 31/05/2021 at 13:51, 1066 said:

Your old Airsporter should be doing much better than 5"at 15 yards no matter how tired it is. I would expect 1" at 20 yds with decent pellets. These are/were good quality air rifles, the earlier the better and yes, fairly easy to strip and rebuild.

It sounds to me, you have some fundamental problem with your rifle - at a guess I would say the loading tap is not exactly aligned with the barrel causing one side of the pellet to get scraped off as it gets on it's way.
A photo or serial number would help date the rifle. I guess this is a .22, the .177 is quite rare and I believe, called the Airsporter club. from memory the MK1 can be identified by tapered barrel and one piece stock, no scope grooves. Mk 11 had straight barrel and three piece stock and small half moon scope grooves. Both had the cone shaped piston with leather washer and of course, the self opening tap when cocking.

When you do decide to refurbish it, try and find an original spring rather than an uprated type, it will ruin the feel of the rifle with very little if any improved power.
Part are available from:

BSA Airsporter Mk 2 Airgun Spares
I see these people do a service kit including mainspring and instructions for the MK2 for about £35:

Mk2 Airsporter BSA - Airgun spares | Chambers Gunmakers - Airgun, Shotgun & Rifle spares. Parts for Air Arms, BSA, Crosman, Diana, Gamo, Relum, Webley, Weihrauch and many, many more

Later Airsporters just became old air guns - "O" ring piston washers, Nylon piston heads, probably made up out of the same parts bin as the Mercury etc.

The one on the right is a MK 2 dating from mid '60's, the other two are BSA "L" rifles dating from 1926-27.

VE7SLCk.png?1

Are the “L” rifles .22 or .177, what power output do they have, including the airsporter? I’ve had a couple of airsporters and neither performed very well with anything other than eley wasp. Neither of my airsporters managed more than 10ft lbs, even with new springs and seals, polished internals etc. Not that it mattered to me, I wouldn’t mind another early one, either mk1 or mk2. My airsporter “S” was disappointing to say the least.

22 minutes ago, Rimfireboy said:

Are the “L” rifles .22 or .177, what power output do they have, including the airsporter? I’ve had a couple of airsporters and neither performed very well with anything other than eley wasp. Neither of my airsporters managed more than 10ft lbs, even with new springs and seals, polished internals etc. Not that it mattered to me, I wouldn’t mind another early one, either mk1 or mk2. My airsporter “S” was disappointing to say the least.

All L BSA’s are .177 and run about 5.5 - 6 ft lbs. They were a light/ladies/youth  air rifle. They are perfect for bell target shooting.

Early Airsporters were not really meant to produce more than the 10 ft lbs that yours did, but odd exceptions did vary. They were made before the obsession with 12 ft lbs began. In those days most people were unaware of the U.K. legal limit thing.

46 minutes ago, London Best said:

All L BSA’s are .177 and run about 5.5 - 6 ft lbs. They were a light/ladies/youth  air rifle. They are perfect for bell target shooting.

Early Airsporters were not really meant to produce more than the 10 ft lbs that yours did, but odd exceptions did vary. They were made before the obsession with 12 ft lbs began. In those days most people were unaware of the U.K. legal limit thing.

Thanks , I like the look of the little bsa’s, didn’t know much about them though👍