Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Toying with the idea of selling the 223 it's a tikka t3 light fantastic rifle, was bought about 3 year ago intentionally for fox control and odd goose cull.. rarely gets out out the cabinet these days so was thinking of letting it go a getting a 17hmr which will be cheaper to feed and can be used for the same purpose. Never owned a 17, am I right in thinking itll be ok for the job mentioned???

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, London Best said:

Neil, surely if you are not using the .223 it is costing nothing to feed.

One thing I didn't mention the cabinet with my rifles in is full up at the moment with no room left so to fit in the 17 something would need to go. The 223 is what I use least mainly because of cost to feed. Having a young son that's doing well with his clay shooting most of my spare cash now goes towards buying batches of 20g cartridges to keep him in comps 😄.

1 hour ago, WalkedUp said:

The .17hmr will be cheaper to feed but you will be losing so much capital on the Tikka I’m not sure it would be cost effective. If it was me I would stick with the .223. 

 If I did sell I think I'll be going for another cz in 17 nice and cheap and never fails. So would think il only be using part of what I make on the tikka. May only sell gun only and keep the scope. Noticed there is a 17 in private sales gun only 🤔.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are not reloading for the .223 , what ammo are you using thats so expensive ?

Theres plenty of cheaper alternatives, like Hornaday Frontier ect, maybe not quite as accurate as a good £1 a pop BT , but good enough for culling jobs.

The HMR ammo isnt exactly cheap at around 30 p a round , and performance is miles away from .223 , thats if you can get a batch of decent ammo.
You can easily reload .223 for the same money with a decent bullet .

I see no advantage for you by changing to .17 .

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Neil23 said:

One thing I didn't mention the cabinet with my rifles in is full up at the moment with no room left so to fit in the 17 something would need to go. The 223 is what I use least mainly because of cost to feed. Having a young son that's doing well with his clay shooting most of my spare cash now goes towards buying batches of 20g cartridges to keep him in comps 😄.

 If I did sell I think I'll be going for another cz in 17 nice and cheap and never fails. So would think il only be using part of what I make on the tikka. May only sell gun only and keep the scope. Noticed there is a 17 in private sales gun only 🤔.


Where are you based Neil? 
 

I have a 17 hmr that I am thinking of moving on. 
 

Similar to you, except I spend most of my time shooting over the dogs with shotgun and the rifles hardly been used since getting the dogs. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:


Where are you based Neil? 
 

I have a 17 hmr that I am thinking of moving on. 
 

Similar to you, except I spend most of my time shooting over the dogs with shotgun and the rifles hardly been used since getting the dogs. 

Same really not used the rifles much at all since my lads doing more and more Clay's.  

Just now, Neil23 said:

Same really not used the rifles much at all since my lads doing more and more Clay's.  

But wouldn't get rid of them haha ⬆️

Link to post
Share on other sites

It cost’s me roughly about 41 pence to reload 223 I would not change to 17 hmr.

I don’t use my 223 but I definitely would not sell it can’t remember last time I took it out

i all ways pick the 17 hornet it cost the same to reload 41 pence 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, snow white said:

It cost’s me roughly about 41 pence to reload 223 I would not change to 17 hmr.

I don’t use my 223 but I definitely would not sell it can’t remember last time I took it out

i all ways pick the 17 hornet it cost the same to reload 41 pence 

That's the sort of answers I was looking for not find another sport. Definitely worth while reloading then eh works out about quid a round to buy where I go. Only stock Winchester 55gr. 

3 hours ago, Rewulf said:

If you are not reloading for the .223 , what ammo are you using thats so expensive ?

Theres plenty of cheaper alternatives, like Hornaday Frontier ect, maybe not quite as accurate as a good £1 a pop BT , but good enough for culling jobs.

The HMR ammo isnt exactly cheap at around 30 p a round , and performance is miles away from .223 , thats if you can get a batch of decent ammo.
You can easily reload .223 for the same money with a decent bullet .

I see no advantage for you by changing to .17 .

Thanks for the advice as above Winchester  55gr. Might have to look in to a reloading kit

Edited by Neil23
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Neil

From the site info, you are about 15 miles from me

PM me your contact info.
More than happy to help you get started in reloading for the .223

I have spare .223 brass you can have for nothing. Only once fired, not worn out, etc.
Also, happy to call over and show you the normal process of loading decent quality .223 ammo
IF you have fired cases from your Tikka then they can be used to get you started as well

Got a couple of things on in the next few days but should be free from Monday daytimes onwards

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Neil23 said:

That's the sort of answers I was looking for not find another sport. Definitely worth while reloading then eh works out about quid a round to buy where I go. Only stock Winchester 55gr. 

Thanks for the advice as above Winchester  55gr. Might have to look in to a reloading kit


After you’ve taken account of the cost of the reloading equipment, you’d be financially better off just paying £1 a shot, when you consider the fact you hardly use the rifle. 
 

If you were getting through a box of ammo a week then it might be worth considering, but your not. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have both a 223 and a 17hmr and would definitely keep the 223 over the 17hmr if I had to choose. I reload for the 223 but even if I didn't I would still pick the 223. All i have to shoot here where i stay is targets, rabbits and geese. The reason for picking the 223 is that it just does the job better IMO. I also find myself very limited when out with the 17hmr, its annoying knowing the 223 is home and I am looking at a goose or a rabbit 2-300 yards away and I have the 17hmr.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, TIDES EDGE said:

If you are not using it you will find it a problem when your ticket comes up for renwall  .

Just got my licenses back last week took 9 month 😄

I bet if only bought 3 boxes in last 2 year 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Neil23 said:

 If I did sell I think I'll be going for another cz in 17 nice and cheap and never fails

That’s what I have in 17 and 22, great gun. My .223 is the least used, it only uses 1 bucket per fox. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WalkedUp said:

That’s what I have in 17 and 22, great gun. My .223 is the least used, it only uses 1 bucket per fox. 

 

1 minute ago, WalkedUp said:

That’s what I have in 17 and 22, great gun. My .223 is the least used, it only uses 1 bucket per fox. 

I have the 452 cant fault it 👌

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/05/2021 at 09:47, Neil23 said:

Toying with the idea of selling the 223 it's a tikka t3 light fantastic rifle, was bought about 3 year ago intentionally for fox control and odd goose cull.. rarely gets out out the cabinet these days so was thinking of letting it go a getting a 17hmr which will be cheaper to feed and can be used for the same purpose. Never owned a 17, am I right in thinking itll be ok for the job mentioned???

A mate gave me these today. any good to u?

Rod

191804469_334533881359911_5934149530896290903_n.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you’re not using it much the cost of setting up to reload wouldn’t really b worth it IMHO.

I have a Tikka T3 in 223 and it works well on 55gr PPU soft point. At £70 per 100 it’s as cheap as you need. After all it only one round per critter..

Yours came from the same stable and it may work for you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/05/2021 at 09:47, Neil23 said:

Toying with the idea of selling the 223 it's a tikka t3 light fantastic rifle, was bought about 3 year ago intentionally for fox control and odd goose cull.. rarely gets out out the cabinet these days so was thinking of letting it go a getting a 17hmr which will be cheaper to feed and can be used for the same purpose. Never owned a 17, am I right in thinking itll be ok for the job mentioned???

If you want my advice Keep the 223 if it’s not costing you any money the point being is Yes the 17hmr will do you for foxes and odd goose to a certain point But the 223 is a more superior calibre for foxes Re prices 17hmr ammo v 223 ammo If only shooting foxes which is nothing compared to target shooting you will not be saving that much money 

Just now, Gerry78 said:

If you want my advice Keep the 223 if it’s not costing you any money the point being is Yes the 17hmr will do you for foxes and odd goose to a certain point But the 223 is a more superior calibre for foxes Re prices 17hmr ammo v 223 ammo If only shooting foxes which is nothing compared to target shooting you will not be saving that much money 

Not to mention selling the tikka you will lose a lot of money on it with a dealer Speaking from experience 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/05/2021 at 09:47, Neil23 said:

Toying with the idea of selling the 223 it's a tikka t3 light fantastic rifle, was bought about 3 year ago intentionally for fox control and odd goose cull.. rarely gets out out the cabinet these days so was thinking of letting it go a getting a 17hmr which will be cheaper to feed and can be used for the same purpose. Never owned a 17, am I right in thinking itll be ok for the job mentioned???

Thoroughly enjoyed mine for the smaller stuff - rabbit, magpie, etc etc, but for fox, don't be in too much of a hurry to discount the 22 WMR.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/05/2021 at 23:08, Fisheruk said:

If you’re not using it much the cost of setting up to reload wouldn’t really b worth it IMHO.

I have a Tikka T3 in 223 and it works well on 55gr PPU soft point. At £70 per 100 it’s as cheap as you need. After all it only one round per critter..

Yours came from the same stable and it may work for you.

I think I'll look out for those 👍

 

20 hours ago, Gerry78 said:

If you want my advice Keep the 223 if it’s not costing you any money the point being is Yes the 17hmr will do you for foxes and odd goose to a certain point But the 223 is a more superior calibre for foxes Re prices 17hmr ammo v 223 ammo If only shooting foxes which is nothing compared to target shooting you will not be saving that much money 

Not to mention selling the tikka you will lose a lot of money on it with a dealer Speaking from experience 👍

You totally right what you saying..True might hang on to it , but like I mentioned before I'm I little pushed for room in the rifle cabinet too

 

19 hours ago, wymberley said:

Thoroughly enjoyed mine for the smaller stuff - rabbit, magpie, etc etc, but for fox, don't be in too much of a hurry to discount the 22 WMR.

👍 keep that in mind ,but I have already got the slot for the 17 on my ticket now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, saddler said:

Any thoughts on my offer?

Il most certainly be intouch if I decide to definitely reload but like someone said it may not be worthwhile for the amount it gets used. I was also looking into the reloading of 20g cartridges aswel as my son goes through a hell of a lot. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...