Is it April 1st again ???

Dougy

On the news i see schools are looking at altering the way words are spelt because its too difficult for a few. 

Apparently it will also help dyslexic people, if you are dyslexic your still going to be dyslexic however you spell things. 

Edited by Dougy

The spelling isn't the issue it's the tricky words .why don't we just change all the long words with multiple vowels. Into 4 letter words . Like  blip .and domp and dulp and  stup  that way even the lowest common denominators  in society will be able to keep up .

OR   we can just do away with writing all together and talking and just grunt at each other like we did 2 million years ago .

Anybody else feel like the human race reached its pinnacle  about 1973  .? 

1 minute ago, Ultrastu said:

The spelling isn't the issue it's the tricky words .why don't we just change all the long words with multiple vowels. Into 4 letter words . Like  blip .and domp and dulp and  stup  that way even the lowest common denominators  in society will be able to keep up .

OR   we can just do away with writing all together and talking and just grunt at each other like we did 2 million years ago .

Anybody else feel like the human race reached its pinnacle  about 1973  .? 

Exactly :good:

Its difficult to get away from it all though, just this morning i heard a noise coming from someone's lips sounded like emosh !!! apparently short for emotion.  

1 hour ago, Dougy said:

On the news i see schools are looking at altering the way words are spelt because its too difficult for a few. 

Apparently it will also help dyslexic people, if you are dyslexic your still going to be dyslexic however you spell things. 

Although it might seem a strange thing to do (especially if youre the older generation) , i would guess that its just the natural evolution of language , and the written word  . if you go back 50 / 100 / 200 years , the English language has changed significantly . many of us here will have read the compleat angler , by isaak walton , and many of us will have been flumoxed by some of it . i work with lots of younger guys at work , and at times , they speak a language that i hardly understand.

6 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

Although it might seem a strange thing to do (especially if youre the older generation) , i would guess that its just the natural evolution of language , and the written word  . if you go back 50 / 100 / 200 years , the English language has changed significantly . many of us here will have read the compleat angler , by isaak walton , and many of us will have been flumoxed by some of it . i work with lots of younger guys at work , and at times , they speak a language that i hardly understand.

This. It was inevitable really. The English language is ridiculously and unnecessarily difficult to learn, defying logic in many instances. 
Together with a generation growing up conversing partly in text, ( LOL, AFAIK, IMHO; there are even some on here who do it )  it was only a matter of time before it evolved further. 
Some may see it as regression, but Shakespeare is still Shakespeare, no matter how you write it down. It will still sound the same even if it’s written differently. 

Spell Checker Blues'

Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rarely ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect in it's weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.

Anon

The theme of this thread cropped up in a conversation this morning, where someone pointed out that our language is evolving all the time, though ever since slowly. 
An example was ‘aren’t you?’ which I’m assuming is an abbreviation of ‘are not you?’ which in turn is very close to ‘art thou’, which in local Westmorland dialect is pronounced ‘ista?’ Directly translated as ‘are you?’ 
‘Howista?’ 😀 Great stuff! 

It will never come to anything, language and spelling do evolve but ever so slowly and over time, to say "we're all spelling it like this now" and get global consensus would involve multi party agreement on a level never previously seen in world history - we can't even get the USA to spell Aluminium properly and that's just one word 

22 hours ago, mel b3 said:

I read the compleat tangler, does that count? 🎣