STEEL V LEAD

Indeed, lead for non commercial food chain quarry would be ideal, but it ain’t going to happen. All our rifle shot rabbits are head shot ( game dealer won’t take them any other way ) and the heads are then removed in the field, although I suppose that they shouldn’t be left there for the reasons it is claimed. 
I can vouch for the effectiveness of steel on shotgunned rabbits, pigeons and corvids. 

9 minutes ago, Scully said:

Indeed, lead for non commercial food chain quarry would be ideal, but it ain’t going to happen. All our rifle shot rabbits are head shot ( game dealer won’t take them any other way ) and the heads are then removed in the field, although I suppose that they shouldn’t be left there for the reasons it is claimed. 
I can vouch for the effectiveness of steel on shotgunned rabbits, pigeons and corvids. 

Interesting what you say re steel being effective on pigeons. I must admit, I haven’t tried steel yet. What load / pellet size would you recommend Scully?

5 minutes ago, Fellside said:

Interesting what you say re steel being effective on pigeons. I must admit, I haven’t tried steel yet. What load / pellet size would you recommend Scully?

I use Gamebore Super Steel and SAGA Field. Both 32 grm 3’s. I have been given some Lyalvale Hunting steel which are 28 grm 4’s, but haven’t tried them yet. The cartons look old so I’m not sure if they’re still produced? 
I have no intention of giving up lead however, and am currently stockpiling my favourite game load, but intend to try the fairly new Eley Eco wad steel before long. 
The Gamebore and SAGA are HP steel, I haven’t checked to see what the Lyalvale are. 

1 minute ago, 8 shot said:

Out of interest what are you using and what ranges are you consistently having clean kills on crows

As above regarding cartridges. I have no idea about range I’m afraid. I’m pretty good at judging range on the ground, but haven’t a clue when it’s flying! 

5 minutes ago, Scully said:

I use Gamebore Super Steel and SAGA Field. Both 32 grm 3’s. I have been given some Lyalvale Hunting steel which are 28 grm 4’s, but haven’t tried them yet. The cartons look old so I’m not sure if they’re still produced? 
I have no intention of giving up lead however, and am currently stockpiling my favourite game load, but intend to try the fairly new Eley Eco wad steel before long. 
The Gamebore and SAGA are HP steel, I haven’t checked to see what the Lyalvale are. 

Thanks for that.