Maths is racist 🤷‍♂️

Newbie to this

Memorising arithmetic such as 2+2=4 is relatively pointless and is not mathematics. When you get to more advanced theoretical mathematics you separate the men from the boys. Lots of people think they are good at maths but they are actually good at arithmetic. Most of the builders on sites will have quicker arithmetic than me, but I have not met one yet that can beat me in propose a novel mathematical solution. 

At my son’s parent’s evening earlier this week his teacher pointed out how fantastic and “witty” he is with maths. I understood what she was saying about “witty” as whilst it is probably not the right word it does reflect the confidence and playfulness that he has with maths rather than simple arithmetic. He’s 6 years old. He cannot yet write legibly so I’m certainly not pretending he’s perfect. 

It's interesting how the term racist/  racism has become so misused its now almost worthless. 

Does anyone bat an eyelid these days when some one is accused of it .? 

It's a bit like some one who constantly  swears while talking (building sites) the swear word looses all its power and becomes mundane and ignored  much like the person using the profanity  .

10 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

It's interesting how the term racist/  racism has become so misused its now almost worthless. 

Does anyone bat an eyelid these days when some one is accused of it .? 

It's a bit like some one who constantly  swears while talking (building sites) the swear word looses all its power and becomes mundane and ignored  much like the person using the profanity  .

Yes, if it were the 1st of April, I would think this was a joke.

I'm also certain there is another side to this story and it has been taken out of context.

But to suggest that there are no right or wrong answers, goes completely against Maths. And how in the hell can Maths be racist :no:

Apparently Imperial Measurement in now also a no no . It smacks of Imperialism so therefore racist and slavery . Metric on the other hand thats , oh yes Napoleon was the one who standardised that wasn't he ?Then of course  Hitler  ,Franco , Mussolini , the Portuguese Dictatorship , in fact just about every European dictatorship and most oppressive regimes around the world . 

So looks like we are all going to have to go back to cubits . Ahh No that would be Biblical so that may be offensive to non Christians . 

My head hurts 😣

Guest cookoff013
3 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

The reason I loved maths was because there are right and wrong answers! However I don’t hold much store in Sky Australia’s integrity to represent the situation accurately or with context as it is just a poor man’s Fox News. 

i think there needs to be balance. 

its ok to have the wrong answer, just as long as there is some workings out along the way. they can be "less right" too. but equality and sharing success is needed too. 

i mean what does it matter ? billions in debt? 

thats what is taught this day and age.

2 hours ago, Blackpowder said:

Always hated maths, algebra ok with adding as long as its no more than 10 digits

Blackpowder

Algebra is not maths, it's geography and is in North Africa 🙄

Edited by Good shot?