Shotgun warranty?

MWildfowler

Hi guys, so I posted a thread on this website some time ago about my armsan a612. I’ve had it for less than a year and I took it out and the spring snapped. The shop has sent it back to the importer and upon inspection they’ve said that because the gun is dirty it is not covered by the warranty and that’s what caused the spring to snap? Now this is the first I’ve heard that if you don’t clean your gun after ever use your warranty is void. It is also important to note that I have cleaned the gun. The booklet that comes with the armsan states the gun should be cleaned periodically and they recommend a clean after every 200 rounds. 

The importer said they can fix the gun but it will be chargeable which I strongly disagree with as it is under warranty! Any advice on how best to approach this?

OK, so as long as you have cleaned the gun as per the instructions then the importer has no grounds to dismiss your claim unless they can prove, beyond reasonable doubt, otherwise. However, saying that, your claim is against the dealer who sold you the gun, if he wants to spend time in court then let him. In this case you would need to inform him that you will have an independent inspection carried out to determine the cause, and if this finds that failure was not due to a build up of dirt then your dealer will also be liable for the cost of the report. As for a build up of dirt causing total failure of a gun, that's not good for any makers reputation. If you bought the gun using a credit card you may have more comeback.

33 minutes ago, sam triple said:

Give citizens advice a ring and see what they say , personally I think the importer is taking the P , I’d say it’s not fit for purpose and therefore request a full refund on the gun or they honour the warranty 

Citizen's advice are unlikely to get involved if the experience my son had over a pair of trainers is anything to go by

53 minutes ago, sam triple said:

Give citizens advice a ring and see what they say , personally I think the importer is taking the P , I’d say it’s not fit for purpose and therefore request a full refund on the gun or they honour the warranty 

To be honest, after that kind of experience, I would try and get a full refund stating the gun is clearly not fit for purpose. 

I would not want the product back, and I would never buy one of their products ever again. 

Citizens Advice and Consumer Direct are pretty much paper Tigers but they should give you a course of action to follow. In this instance, a letter to the dealer stating the facts i.e. less than a year old, bought new, under warranty. You should include that, in your opinion, the gun is not fit for purpose and if the dealer does not repair the gun free of charge you will be left with no alternative but small claims court. A complete refund is unlikely after the first 3 months and any correspondence needs to show that you are being "reasonable" in giving the dealer ample opportunity to fix the issue, you would be very unlikely to lose as your consumer rights are very strong but you will need an independent report in your favour before issuing a summons. 

22 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Citizens Advice and Consumer Direct are pretty much paper Tigers but they should give you a course of action to follow. In this instance, a letter to the dealer stating the facts i.e. less than a year old, bought new, under warranty. You should include that, in your opinion, the gun is not fit for purpose and if the dealer does not repair the gun free of charge you will be left with no alternative but small claims court. A complete refund is unlikely after the first 3 months and any correspondence needs to show that you are being "reasonable" in giving the dealer ample opportunity to fix the issue, you would be very unlikely to lose as your consumer rights are very strong but you will need an independent report in your favour before issuing a summons. 

Spot on.

Been through the small claims process, CA were a great help. Took about 7 months all in but I got back what what I'd paid out initially plus all my costs.

11 minutes ago, MWildfowler said:

Thanks for the replies guys. I did find the reasoning very odd. Once I have spoken to them on Monday I will decide what to do from there. @bruno22rf I did buy it on credit card. If the shop isn’t very willing to help roll me contacting my credit card company be an option?

Your claim would be against the shop not the importer. Your credit card company is jointly and severely liable, so you can claim against the card company now. More info here: https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/section-75-of-the-consumer-credit-act

All I would add is, is it worth the effort? How much does the spring cost for you or the shop to replace? It might not be worth all the hassle of claiming if it does not cost much.

I also would have thought the shop would have replaced the spring rather than send it back.

@Windswept of course it may not be worthwhile to go down the claim route but I will see how much they’re charging for the spring and etc and take it from there. But more than the cost it’s the principle behind it. Don’t encourage people to buy brand new so they have warranty but then look for ways out. Just isn’t right 

FYI, yes your credit card company is jointly responsible for purchases over £100, as said it's not really worth the hassle but worth bearing in mind for future purchases, you do not need to spend over £100 on the card but the item must be of that value or more, you could just put down a deposit on your card for full cover. Bought a Range Rover about 5 years ago that developed a fault within weeks (it was 10 years old), dealer refused to fix it so claimed on my credit card and they paid the £600 repair bill. You do not need to go into debt, pay the card off as soon as you get home and you still have full cover. BTW, if you buy a spring and fit it yourself you will void your warranty.

Edited by bruno22rf

As someone has already said, your contract (and thus any warranty claim) are against the shop you bought the gun from.

The shop may wish to claim from the importer, but that's their problem, not yours. 

I'd suggest you speak to the shop and tell them you expect them to sort it out

3 hours ago, MWildfowler said:

@Windswept of course it may not be worthwhile to go down the claim route but I will see how much they’re charging for the spring and etc and take it from there. But more than the cost it’s the principle behind it. Don’t encourage people to buy brand new so they have warranty but then look for ways out. Just isn’t right 

I completely understand as I've done similar. You may find the credit card company will refund without much question as it's not worth their time investigating. But they'll not bother chasing the shop so they and the importer will get away with it still.

I'll 2nd or 3rd having a firm word with the shop.

19 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

To be honest, after that kind of experience, I would try and get a full refund stating the gun is clearly not fit for purpose. 

I would not want the product back, and I would never buy one of their products ever again. 

This. And add the fact you’re letting everyone know of their shoddy attitude.