I guess these loons will all be put inside

islandgun

14 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I'd like something better than single use plastics,  but the question is what?

Every week I buy soft fruit, or fridge stuff that's all in the nasty thin plastic. 

As would I. I think the answer to your particular dilemma is to unwrap it after paying ( as the bar code is often part of it ) and leave it in the store. 🤷‍♂️

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Scully said:

You couldn’t make this up really. 
I had a lengthy online debate with several folk of a similar mindset, who said that for the sake of the planet ( what they really mean is the human species ) we should stop eating meat products, which would also stop the endless slaughter of animals. 
I pointed out to them that to stop eating meat would mean the end of domestic stock, and that humans had already made extinct countless species, and yet here they were, advocating the wiping out of all our domestic farmed animals on a worldwide basis. 
Some then pointed out that they could be kept in zoos ( you mean like farms? asked I ) but went a little quiet when I asked who would pay for them, and which ones....two generic sheep, or two generic horses, cattle, or two of each breed, and again, which ones, and if they’re as detrimental to the planet as they claim, then why? 
I asked a similar question to a rant about our use of plastics, when I asked what were they willing to give up for the sake of the planet, as their phones were made of plastic, as were their tv’s, laptops, PC’s, the chairs they sat on and the fridges they used, the fleeces that kept them warm and the aircraft which carried them off on their holidays. I asked that if they wanted me to stop using plastics, what were they willing to give up?
This was over a week ago now, and I haven’t received a single reply. 🤷‍♂️

I absolutely resent and detest those who constantly interfere in my life by telling me how I should lead it, and what I should and shouldn’t be doing. It angers me greatly. 

My thoughts entirely, their direct action doesn't include spending every weekend picking up plastic or improving our lot in any way, I despair for my childrens generation that may be subjected to a country where eating any animal product is illegal [ masterchef= potato 3 ways]. the countryside will be re-wilded [ wild-fires and loss of habitat]. vehicles banned, gender banned, sugar and alcohol banned, obesity/unhealthiness banned, etc, etc.  meanwhile countries like China and Russia will laugh.. there is one honourable action the protesters could do to help save the planet and that involves a very large [glass] bottle of pills a bottle of gin and a self dug hole in the ground

That is a very clear case of aggravated trespass so we already have a law to deal with this. The police should be doing their job as aggravated trespass is a criminal offence. However, this means that the highly educated, degree toting, senior officers would have to get off their butts on a weekend and give some orders. The protestors have timed it well.

Single use plastics are the problem. The answer? look how we shopped years ago  milk in glass bottles cordials in glass bottles pottatoes in paper sacks you picked fruit and veg yourself and used paper bags to put them in coca cola and other drinks in glass bottles and cans ALL reusable what changed? We have glass jars and other goods made in China to save a few pennies at what cost to the planet? Surely it is better to make goods here rather than have a boat consuming thousands of gallons of fuel and pollution We could and should recycle all the containers that bleach, oil,and all these type of plastics as they do not break down naturally also it stops them being dumped in landfill  and round the country. There is so much multi use plastic and other products that could be reused but again cost for a proffit is at the forefront As scully said we would need to chop every tree down in the world to be able to grow enough food to sustain us and that is without competing with wildlife who i am sure some loon will say they have priority  Your comments please

2 hours ago, armsid said:

Single use plastics are the problem

The problem is the number of products that come in them, last week from Aldi I bought,  grapes, blueberries,  mushrooms,  strawberries,  pork pies and peppers that were all in single use plastic,  this obviously makes packaging and transportation easier but I do often think what a waste the packaging is. 

Even tomatoes will be in plastic wrap/bag .

The shear number of shops and products using single use plastic must be unreal. 

The vast majority of our fruit and veg’ is unwrapped as we buy it from our local shop and not a supermarket, so as we select what we want, we put it into brown paper bags before it is weighed. 
Meat from our local butcher is wrapped in a modern version of grease proof paper.
You will be given a plastic carrier bag to carry it home in if you ask. 🙂

On the single use plastic issue, I understand a lot of it cannot be recycled because of the different temperatures required to melt them into another molecularly joined up piece of plastic but I rather suspect they could be used for very thick and bulky items such as kerb stones and paving blocks for examples.

Token arrests at 2 McD sites yesterday, nothing more will be heard of it now, they've probably been arrested before, and know how to work the system.

Two days of wasted police work, plus whatever it cost McD's, :no:

All as predicted.

If I were to take a chainsaw down and give them 5 mins to get down before I start to cut the legs of the structure I'd get done more then they will .

Everyone has the right to eat what ever they want BUT what really P,s me off when morons try to force Thier choices down the throats of everyone else !!.

A few yrs back a small group of antis had set up a table (probably without permission) with some really old pictures of "foxes killed by hunting people with dogs" one of the idiots with hair that wouldn't look out of place on a scarecrow wearing a wooly jumper 10x too big for him with holes in it stopped me and asked " excuse me what do you think of this" whilst showing the pics .... I looked at each one in turn and replied  " *%©*%** brilliant you moron " and walked off ..

20 hours ago, Gordon R said:

oowee - much as I detest the cretins, I was looking over the structures and thinking that a bit of thought had gone into them. Fairly well put together too.

With a pair of cutters it would be like playing Jenga. Who wants to be first?

Edited by Good shot?

On 22/05/2021 at 16:46, ShootingEgg said:

The world cannot go fully plant based surely. We'd end up having to deforest EVERYTHING just to have enough space to grow enough plant... 

Not a chance! There's not enough arable land for a start. We can't grow enough plants to feed everyone, even with intensive farming and the pumping of billions of tons of nutrients into the soil. Factoring in a safe 1/3 fallow fields it gets even more difficult.

1.4 billion hectares of arable land globally.

Working on Soy bean being the best source of plant based protein, with enough water the best yields are 3ton/Ha. Let's say 2T factoring in less than ideal conditions

2.8Bn Tonnes of Soybean could be grown annually. 1.8bn tonnes if you account for 1/3 fallow.

38% being a pretty optimistic percentage of protein, so 0.7bn tonnes of protein a year.

56G per day for the average sedentary man. Factoring in those with manual jobs, women and kids I reckon 50g per day on averge. 0.018 tonnes per person per year.

Comes out at 0.136Billion tonnes of required protein, pretty easy.

To get your calories, approx 2200, you'd need to eat about 500G a day .18 tonnes per year per person. 7.6bn people. 1.3bn tonnes of soy beans required.

The numbers work great if we could live on soybean. Unfortunately we need a mixed diet, even plant based. So how do we get the rest of the vitamins and minerals we need with only a few hectares left for everything else? I'm probably missing  few things with my numbers, but I can't see any serious, non-biased studies that show the feasibility.

Then there are the supplements they need to stay healthy. These have to be mined, grown or otherwise procured, processed, packaged and shipped.

They also won't eat locally. Can't grow an Avocado in Rovrum, so that will have to be flown thousands of miles when some ponce in Instagram shows them how to make a delicious and nutritious enema.

The only truly sustainable way of eating IMHO, factoring an increasing population (they won't support limiting the offspring they're entitled to shoot out and proceed to corrupt) would be to truly invest in insects as a food source, entomophagy. But the bugs have feelings and rights, so can't eat them, despite that being the means to the end they so passionately and vocally believe in.

48 minutes ago, Demonic69 said:

Not a chance! There's not enough arable land for a start. We can't grow enough plants to feed everyone, even with intensive farming and the pumping of billions of tons of nutrients into the soil. Factoring in a safe 1/3 fallow fields it gets even more difficult.

1.4 billion hectares of arable land globally.

Working on Soy bean being the best source of plant based protein, with enough water the best yields are 3ton/Ha. Let's say 2T factoring in less than ideal conditions

2.8Bn Tonnes of Soybean could be grown annually. 1.8bn tonnes if you account for 1/3 fallow.

38% being a pretty optimistic percentage of protein, so 0.7bn tonnes of protein a year.

56G per day for the average sedentary man. Factoring in those with manual jobs, women and kids I reckon 50g per day on averge. 0.018 tonnes per person per year.

Comes out at 0.136Billion tonnes of required protein, pretty easy.

To get your calories, approx 2200, you'd need to eat about 500G a day .18 tonnes per year per person. 7.6bn people. 1.3bn tonnes of soy beans required.

The numbers work great if we could live on soybean. Unfortunately we need a mixed diet, even plant based. So how do we get the rest of the vitamins and minerals we need with only a few hectares left for everything else? I'm probably missing  few things with my numbers, but I can't see any serious, non-biased studies that show the feasibility.

Then there are the supplements they need to stay healthy. These have to be mined, grown or otherwise procured, processed, packaged and shipped.

They also won't eat locally. Can't grow an Avocado in Rovrum, so that will have to be flown thousands of miles when some ponce in Instagram shows them how to make a delicious and nutritious enema.

The only truly sustainable way of eating IMHO, factoring an increasing population (they won't support limiting the offspring they're entitled to shoot out and proceed to corrupt) would be to truly invest in insects as a food source, entomophagy. But the bugs have feelings and rights, so can't eat them, despite that being the means to the end they so passionately and vocally believe in.

great points Demonic here an E.G i just listed from the following..https://www.shapingtomorrowsworld.org/wahlquistmethane.html

Ruminants are the most efficient mammal herbivores at digesting fibrous material like grass. With other animals the same overall amount of methane comes out but it is wasted and comes out from the faeces. Trying to reduce the amount emitted by the cow by feeding grain is remarkably stupid. You have to look at the full cycle.

Exterminating ruminants is even more stupid because the methane comes from bacterial action on fibrous plant material and the bacteria will just find different machines to produce it.

It’s a mass balance thing. The only way to reduce the carbon in the atmosphere is to find a way to put carbon under the ground and keep it there. Not digging any more up would be a good start.

Maybe not eating meat will make you feel better but it won’t save the environment. I can’t see anyone signing up to the things that will actually save the environment. Bicycles and population control will never catch on.

On 22/05/2021 at 16:46, ShootingEgg said:

The world cannot go fully plant based surely. We'd end up having to deforest EVERYTHING just to have enough space to grow enough plant... 

And just imagine the tonnage of agro-chemicals used to do that....with the associated devastating effect on insect life, birds, etc. Brings me to the point of asking the members about the swallow population. Seen very few about my neck of the woods.

2 hours ago, harkom said:

And just imagine the tonnage of agro-chemicals used to do that....with the associated devastating effect on insect life, birds, etc. Brings me to the point of asking the members about the swallow population. Seen very few about my neck of the woods.

With the recent foul weather, the flying insect life has been curtailed somewhat, with improvement in temperature and no significant rain forecast from this Wednesday for ten days or so, things should pick up, most Swallows, House Martins, Sand Martins and Swifts are here at the moment, but are probably incubating clutches, therefore you will only be seeing one Swallow of the pair on the wing, you will more than likely notice an increase over the next couple of weeks, as the weather improves and chicks hatch, meaning both birds of the pair on the wing, hawking insects..............April was very cold this year (20+ frosts), this held up migration as well.

2 hours ago, twenty said:

With the recent foul weather, the flying insect life has been curtailed somewhat, with improvement in temperature and no significant rain forecast from this Wednesday for ten days or so, things should pick up, most Swallows, House Martins, Sand Martins and Swifts are here at the moment, but are probably incubating clutches, therefore you will only be seeing one Swallow of the pair on the wing, you will more than likely notice an increase over the next couple of weeks, as the weather improves and chicks hatch, meaning both birds of the pair on the wing, hawking insects..............April was very cold this year (20+ frosts), this held up migration as well.

as above   nothing like being out in the country side      watching   the world pass by    spuggys  goldfinches  chaffinches  wagtails wrens  tits etc  starlings   and many others species inc ground mammals       now in my area hook billed killers  not noticed as much   rabbit population in decline  have not shot a rabbit in app 4 years  as will not sustain hunting pressure at the moment  they are lacking  and struggling       not to mention insect hatches  food for  the above   this year has improved  long may it last