Choke question ???.

samboy

Hi gang.

Can anyone tell me what a cylinder choke is used for ?.

Thanks all.

1 hour ago, samboy said:

Hi gang.

Can anyone tell me what a cylinder choke is used for ?.

Thanks all.

I would say it’s only function in a multi choked gun is because without it, you’d possibly clog the threads? 

Shooting is like billiards I once read in a well respected author's book. It is the easy shots that increase the "bag". And for those cylinder choke excels. The best shot I ever saw had his Purdey bored true cylinder in the right barrel and improved cylinder in the left barrel. All my game guns are bored improved cylinder in both barrels.

Edited by enfieldspares

Just out of interest how far away are you shooting game with a cylinder choke. Under 20 ish yards or all the way out to 30 or 40 odd yards?

Just wondering as sporting clay shooters are recommended to only use cylinder for close targets usually under 25 yards.

1 minute ago, B391 said:

Just out of interest how far away are you shooting game with a cylinder choke. Under 20 ish yards or all the way out to 30 or 40 odd yards?

Just wondering as sporting clay shooters are recommended to only use cylinder for close targets usually under 25 yards.

Quite happy to shoot to between 40/45 yards.

10 hours ago, London Best said:

Happy to use a cylinder choke for everything from snipe to geese.

A bloke I used to shoot with owned only one gun. It was ( still is as far as I know ) a Winchester 101 fixed at skeet and skeet.
He never shot clays ( said he couldn’t see the point )but shot everything with it from pigeons to geese. He didn’t miss a lot. 

My two penneth. I wouldn’t be without a cylinder choke in the bottom barrel for pigeons over the decoys......say 20 to 30 yards (approx’). Half choke for the longer stuff. Also like cylinder a lot for teal - as they aren’t usually as far away as they look. A teal that seems like a 40 yarder is often picked at 30 yards. Big fan of cylinder!

Just like all degrees of choke, cylinder is advantageous for those sportsmen who know what they're doing: just as those who don't aren't.

The one problem  is that there are/can be two different types, which if you've asked because you're thinking of buying, is worth knowing. A truly True Cylinder (TC) barrel will more often than not throw a wider pattern than the ballistic tables reflect. Again, more often than not, a barrel with a couple or so degrees will throw the specified TC figure. You pays your money and takes your choice, but it's worth checking.

Edited by wymberley

44 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Just like all degrees of choke, cylinder is advantageous for those sportsmen who know what they're doing: just as those who don't aren't.

The one problem  is that there are/can be two different types, which if you've asked because you're thinking of buying, is worth knowing. A truly True Cylinder (TC) barrel will more often than not throw a wider pattern than the ballistic tables reflect. Again, more often than not, a barrel with a couple or so degrees will throw the specified TC figure. You pays your money and takes your choice, but it's worth checking.

Agree Wymberley - not all cylinder chokes are equal. The one I use is 10 thou more open than the barrel diameter. Bit of a blunderbus...! Patterns surprisingly well with a certain cartridge. Some cart’s aren’t so good. 

12 minutes ago, Fellside said:

Agree Wymberley - not all cylinder chokes are equal. The one I use is 10 thou more open than the barrel diameter. Bit of a blunderbus...! Patterns surprisingly well with a certain cartridge. Some cart’s aren’t so good. 

Yep, can't say it's been perfect, but sufficient to keep me out of the clutches of the multichokes. However, where it works changing a cartridge is a very convenient way of changing your choke to suit any given quarry - clays excluded perhaps.

1 minute ago, wymberley said:

Yep, can't say it's been perfect, but sufficient to keep me out of the clutches of the multichokes. However, where it works changing a cartridge is a very convenient way of changing your choke to suit any given quarry - clays excluded perhaps.

Forgot to mention mine is multi. 
I just like that particular choke. The cartridge it works well with is Gamebore clear pigeon. It’s amazing how differently the various cart’s perform. 

6 hours ago, Scully said:

A bloke I used to shoot with owned only one gun. It was ( still is as far as I know ) a Winchester 101 fixed at skeet and skeet.
He never shot clays ( said he couldn’t see the point )but shot everything with it from pigeons to geese. He didn’t miss a lot. 

As I have said many times, put it in the pattern. 

I was somewhat troubled recently by a good friend who loves to shoot at these crazy pheasants 70-80yrds away and he sees the only way forward are 3 inch shells with steel shot at full power in a heavy over and under competition gun.  I think I will stick with my 410 with an occasional outing with the 16 gauge just for old times.    I do shoot full and full out of my 410 which gives me a nice even pattern of 30 inches at 35yrds.  Early season over the hedges partridge I do go down to the 4 dot choke tubes which I assume are near enough cylinder to make very little difference on those high speed 20-25yrd screamers.

11 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

As I have said many times, put it in the pattern. 

I was somewhat troubled recently by a good friend who loves to shoot at these crazy pheasants 70-80yrds away and he sees the only way forward are 3 inch shells with steel shot at full power in a heavy over and under competition gun.  I think I will stick with my 410 with an occasional outing with the 16 gauge just for old times.    I do shoot full and full out of my 410 which gives me a nice even pattern of 30 inches at 35yrds.  Early season over the hedges partridge I do go down to the 4 dot choke tubes which I assume are near enough cylinder to make very little difference on those high speed 20-25yrd screamers.

Essential, but isn't that only half of the story. That only works if there's sufficient pellets in that pattern to ensure as far as is reasonable a clean kill with every truly aimed shot.

The first half is no good whatsoever without the second.

1 hour ago, wymberley said:

Essential, but isn't that only half of the story. That only works if there's sufficient pellets in that pattern to ensure as far as is reasonable a clean kill with every truly aimed shot.

The first half is no good whatsoever without the second.

Yes - as much as I like my cylinder choke for average stuff - I find it looses its magic beyond about 35 yards. I have a good quality true half choke (20 thou) for longer stuff out to about 50 yards .... or dare I say a little bit more. Hope I haven’t started one of those everlasting choke conversations.....?! 😄

4 minutes ago, Fellside said:

Yes - as much as I like my cylinder choke for average stuff - I find it looses its magic beyond about 35 yards. I have a good quality true half choke (20 thou) for longer stuff out to about 50 yards .... or dare I say a little bit more. Hope I haven’t started one of those everlasting choke conversations.....?! 😄

:lol:

I was coaching a 15 year old lad this morning and he was shooting a 20 bore.

Gave him my Beretta with its fixed 3/4 and full and he was absolutely smoking some mid range clays!

Certainly focuses the mind.

7 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I was coaching a 15 year old lad this morning and he was shooting a 20 bore.

Gave him my Beretta with its fixed 3/4 and full and he was absolutely smoking some mid range clays!

Certainly focuses the mind.

You wouldn’t fancy eating one if it was the real thing.....?! 😃