Lang cartridge magazine resto

jbk

Hi All, I have a badly moth ravaged cartridge magazine that I've inherited from my grandad but has been languishing in a very damp cellar for years and has it on its last legs. I'd like to attempt a bit of a home resto. Any advice appreciated but to start with does anyone have any idea of where I could source as similar as possible an original makers label? and any suggestion on appropriate baize? Thanks in advance.

IMG_8842 2.JPG

IMG_8840 2.JPG

IMG_8841 2.JPG

Yeah, thanks ditchman, really chuffed to have it. I used to manage filling it up for him prior to shoot days 35years ago when I was a 10years old. My grandad passed away 6 years ago now and it's been politically difficult to get access to it until now, just gutted it's been left to get into this state. When I picked it up this morning larvae were rolling around in it eating the label and baize 😠😕. Anyway it's now in my hands, where he'd want it to be, and I'll be trying to get it in good enough shape to last a few more generations.

i rekon a good clean with saddle soap....take your time with it so as to let it soak in......and some very fine wire wool for the brass lock....dont over do it.........maybe get sum powder carpet cleaner ...sprinkle it onto the baize and work it in with a clean dry paint brush and vacumn it out.....ive seen a lot worse baize in use....

Doesn’t look like it’s on its last legs to me. The value in these is their original condition. I restore the odd case and leave as much original finish as possible. That label is spot on, sourcing good ones is difficult and expensive; don’t touch it. Just clean and feed the leather and leave well alone.

2 hours ago, Dave at kelton said:

Doesn’t look like it’s on its last legs to me. The value in these is their original condition. I restore the odd case and leave as much original finish as possible. That label is spot on, sourcing good ones is difficult and expensive; don’t touch it. Just clean and feed the leather and leave well alone.

This +1. Mansion Wax if you can still get it is good for the leather but never, never, never use Connolly's! And who told me that? None other than Mr Brady himself of Brady's before it was sold off. 

Get some KoChoLine on the leather, not forgetting the internal straps

Looks like you are missing one of the long external straps?
Easy enough to do - the one on the left that is still there looks to be newer hide than the handle, etc.
I'd do as little as possible to it & definitely  NOT start changing baize or labels

Hi there, there is nothing wrong with the magazine a good feed would put right , the label is fine, the outside I would give it a good going over with Fiebing’s Aussie leather conditioner I use this on all the cases I renovate. On evil bay about £16 14FD3C77-0EC6-4F6E-A442-DCB18E28A3E3.jpeg.19396d448c85ac45614e340f4a7f49f4.jpeg

4C6F5ED2-43CB-4729-913D-D7B70C0B051A.jpeg

23 hours ago, Smokersmith said:

There's a chap on here who does a great job on gun cases ..

New case completed - Craft and DIY Section - Pigeon Watch Forums

Thanks 

I would put some moth killer sachets in it and close it for a week in a heated, dry place room. Once the moth larvae are dead then time is on your side. Do not rush into anything. 

Check with someone knowledgeable regarding moth sachets and the cloth etc first.