Jump to content

chronograph


Spr1985
 Share

Recommended Posts

MOD’S, I’m not sure if this is in the correct place so please feel free to move as necessary. 
 

Do any members in the Essex area have a chronograph and would be willing to test an air rifle for me please.  It’s a sub 12 bsa r10 mk2.  I believe through research that it is well under powered due to a known issue with the regulators that where used. If possible I’d like to confirm it’s power output before putting it into a gun shop. 
 

if anyone is able to help it would be very much appreciated. 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, villaman said:

As a responsible airguner , then you should have your own imho

Thank you for your input, albeit imho rather presumptuous and not helpful. Everyone has to start somewhere and it’s the first air gun that I have owned in over 20 years and I’ve had it in my possession for three days, as yet I have not got all of the kit together hence my request for help. 
surely asking for help to test something so that I can then have it worked on by a professional instead of just going out and using it is the responsible thing to do?  I could have just watched some videos on the internet on how to crank the power up and then Go and use it 🤷‍♂️ And be irresponsible. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Spr1985 said:

Thank you for your input, albeit imho rather presumptuous and not helpful. Everyone has to start somewhere and it’s the first air gun that I have owned in over 20 years and I’ve had it in my possession for three days, as yet I have not got all of the kit together hence my request for help. 
surely asking for help to test something so that I can then have it worked on by a professional instead of just going out and using it is the responsible thing to do?  I could have just watched some videos on the internet on how to crank the power up and then Go and use it 🤷‍♂️ And be irresponsible. 

Absolutely agree with you, IMHO I believe a simple request for assistance is entirely correct. If you lived in Shropshire you could borrow mine buddy. I know many air rifle shooters who do not own a chrono…..because they always borrow mine👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Taileron said:

Absolutely agree with you, IMHO I believe a simple request for assistance is entirely correct. If you lived in Shropshire you could borrow mine buddy. I know many air rifle shooters who do not own a chrono…..because they always borrow mine👍

Thank you 😊 I appreciate that 👍🏻

Link to comment
Share on other sites

     Sorry if my comment came over a bit harsh, but I think  my comment is helpful , might save you going to court one day

just because you chronograph it on one day doesn’t mean it’s going to be like it for life 

All I am saying it’s worth investing in one  , Ideal for testing pellets , see how your gun is running 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, villaman said:

     Sorry if my comment came over a bit harsh, but I think  my comment is helpful , might save you going to court one day

just because you chronograph it on one day doesn’t mean it’s going to be like it for life 

All I am saying it’s worth investing in one  , Ideal for testing pellets , see how your gun is running 

Apology accepted, and yes the comment was helpful in the fact that it told me I wasn’t being over the top already having it on the list of bits to get but not helpful in what I was asking and yes I appreciate that it will need to be chrono’d regularly to remain within the law, it’s an un altered sub 12 and I have no intention at all of altering it in any way that could see me in court on an illegal firearms charge. I have a list of bits and bobs to get before firing at live quarry. I already have a gun mounted range finder on route so that I am precise with ranges when taking shots etc and a chrono is also on the list. 
 

my original request is because it is severely lacking in power and I wanted to check it and be aware before handing over to a gunsmith to work on. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So with out a chrono .a quick test of approximate muzzle energy can be done by using these graphs .

Using .177 jsb exacts  and always zeroed at 35 yds with an average scope hight of 1.8 inches you will see that the poi drop at 50 yds is obviously  different for different powers .the first is for an 11.5 fpe gun 780 fps  2 inch at 50 yds 

Second 8 5 fpe at 680 fps  3 inch at 50 

Third  6.5 fpe 580 fps . 4 inch at 50 yds 

As you can see the apogee hight increases also around 25 yds .

Hope this is helpful. If you need  a graph more appropriate  to your gun just ask and give me the data .

Cheers .stu .

 

Screenshot_20210523-210755_ChairGun.jpg

Screenshot_20210523-210827_ChairGun.jpg

Screenshot_20210523-210902_ChairGun.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ultrastu said:

So with out a chrono .a quick test of approximate muzzle energy can be done by using these graphs .

Using .177 jsb exacts  and always zeroed at 35 yds with an average scope hight of 1.8 inches you will see that the poi drop at 50 yds is obviously  different for different powers .the first is for an 11.5 fpe gun 780 fps  2 inch at 50 yds 

Second 8 5 fpe at 680 fps  3 inch at 50 

Third  6.5 fpe 580 fps . 4 inch at 50 yds 

As you can see the apogee hight increases also around 25 yds .

Hope this is helpful. If you need  a graph more appropriate  to your gun just ask and give me the data .

Cheers .stu .

 

Screenshot_20210523-210755_ChairGun.jpg

Screenshot_20210523-210827_ChairGun.jpg

Screenshot_20210523-210902_ChairGun.jpg

Hi Stu, thanks for going to that effort. I’ll take a proper look tomorrow and see if I can make sense of it (im very new to rifles of any description) . it’s a bsa r10 mk2 and was using the pellets that came with it (gamo pro magnum 15.43gr) a friend who shoots centerfire tried to get it zeroed at 35yds for me and it was dropping well short. He got it onto the board but no penetration at all. through research I think the actuator is knackered, but as I say very new to rifles and certainly not a gunsmith 🤣 

 

36 minutes ago, Shufti said:

Where in Essex?

I’m in Witham mate between Colchester and Chelmsford on the a12 corridor
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Shufti said:

Not local but if you fancy a trip to Clacton you can use mine .

Stu's method will tell you all you need.

 

Very kind of you, I sometimes get up to Clacton gun club to shoot the sportrap, I may give you a message in a couple of weeks time if that’s ok? I’ll try to coincide with coming up that way as it’s a bit of a drive. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi spr 

So you have a .22  .those gamo pellets will have a bc of around 0.025  .so presuming you always zero at 25 yds and this time we take our far range at 40 yds instead of of 50 for the .177 .

A 11.5 fpe gun should give 2.75 inch drop at 40 yds  

An 8 fpe gun a 4.5 inch drop at 40 yds 

And a 5 fpe gun giving an 8 inch drop at 40 yds  

Screenshot_20210523-230602_ChairGun.jpg

Screenshot_20210523-230648_ChairGun.jpg

Screenshot_20210523-230706_ChairGun.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Stu, yes a .22 (sorry I thought I’d put that in my reply)  from the info you have given me it is not only underpowered but well under powered.
We where firing from the bonnet of his truck at 35 yds the board was approx 3ft square aiming at the center of the target in the centre of board and dropping short in the grass, so we then changed to a target pinned to the top of the board and aimed at centre approx 6in down from top of board and the pellet was striking the bottom of the board so looking at a 2ft drop at 35yds if I have read the info you’ve provided correctly. Thanks again for the effort you’ve made to help 👍🏻

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sounds like the reg is dead then .

A very common issue with r10 s unfortunately  .

Your solution is either send it to bsa .or ratworks  or airfective (other tuners are available  ) 

But before you do check that the air pressure is around between 100 and 200 bar and that the pellet probe oring isn't damaged .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

The pressure is sat at about half way on the gauge. Yes I’d read the regulators are only fit for the bin, I’ve also read about the jb blueprints and also huma regulators. Cheers mate 👍🏻

4620BDB9-8E1D-488D-BBEA-6067CD3562DB.jpeg

Edited by Spr1985
Spelling
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...