Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hello, Called into Westlands today, pleasant visit once again.  However, I was informed the price of clays has increased by 5p per clay, now 32p. I don't shoot many per visit so small impact, but still a big increase from 27p. Only posting to pass on notification. Regards

Link to post
Share on other sites

Everybody seems to be adding on pennies to make up pounds lost during lockdown.

We all have to make a living, we'll I don't I'm retired, but you get my point. 

I don't like it but I guess we either live with it or move on to pastures new.

As an add on, my local range which you pay a fixed yearly rate for 24 hour access has just introduced a £5 per visit charge. You're expected to ring and pay by card each time🤔

They forgot there's no mobile signal at that point🤣🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Centrepin said:

 

I don't like it but I guess we either live with it or move on to pastures new.

 

I think some will do that and some will also reduce the amount they shoot.  The percentage price increaes seem excessive , ok stuff seems to be sneaking up but not by the amount shooting seems to be. With Clay's at 35p and very few cartridges below £200 I think popularity of shooting is only going in one direction. I know how much I spend a month and often question my sanity in doing so. I am sure your average earning young person could not afford this sport.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Westlands have fundamentally upped their game with the new restaurant and lounge facilities let alone the gun shop. Whilst I accept the former are principally for the holiday lodges it is not entirely surprising. I will still be along for practice and just accept it is the price I have to pay for a better facility.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The increase has certainly affected my choice of grounds since things re opened and I would say grounds are quieter than pre plague anyway...

Link to post
Share on other sites

If a clay ground were to charge say 15p per clay and never ever changes their layout would your still shoot there regularly, i certainly wouldn’t so i hope these grounds that are charging slightly more will more frequently change the layout.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TRINITY said:

I think some will do that and some will also reduce the amount they shoot.  The percentage price increaes seem excessive , ok stuff seems to be sneaking up but not by the amount shooting seems to be. With Clay's at 35p and very few cartridges below £200 I think popularity of shooting is only going in one direction. I know how much I spend a month and often question my sanity in doing so. I am sure your average earning young person could not afford this sport.

I gave up shooting due to cost and lack of time to pursue some years ago. I restarted after I retired some 4 years ago as I now have the time and find the money from my meagre pension.

47 minutes ago, Will Poon said:

If a clay ground were to charge say 15p per clay and never ever changes their layout would your still shoot there regularly, i certainly wouldn’t so i hope these grounds that are charging slightly more will more frequently change the layout.

Yes is the short answer.

I would take them earlier, later, differant ways. I would use gun dismounted, gun mounted, gun broken when saying pull. I would use my left shoulder and still find ways to challenge myself.

It's not all about dusting every clay or winning competitions more to me about finding different ways that still work and creating challenges for myself. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Will Poon said:

If a clay ground were to charge say 15p per clay and never ever changes their layout would your still shoot there regularly, i certainly wouldn’t so i hope these grounds that are charging slightly more will more frequently change the layout.

You could also argue how can a ground justify doubling their clay price just to spend about an hour or so moving a few traps around once a week.

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

more to me about finding different ways that still work and creating challenges for myself. 

Yes you can also do what the DTL guys do and shoot at the bits 😎😉

I once asked a bloke why the did that as I thought it was a waste of a cartridge, he said dont look at it as a waste , consider it as a free target.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Scully said:

An extra tenner each for our normal expenditure for a day out at Westlands then.
Gotta pay for that nice new building somehow! 🙂

Yep better overall facilities equals whack the price up! Sausage and bacon rolls were same price though so will when I get there, hopefully this week to try the new gun.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Have the cartridge prices increased by much? Because they were very reasonable before the new shop was built. I’ve noticed the prices are no longer on their website.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, owain said:

Have the cartridge prices increased by much? Because they were very reasonable before the new shop was built. I’ve noticed the prices are no longer on their website.

Per slab, Eley Select were three quid more than my local agricultural engineering outlet before last lockdown, which surprised me somewhat as you’d think that with the quantities Westlands must buy they would be a little cheaper. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, owain said:

I think they may have gone up again, what’s your agri shop called?

Pigneys. It’s in a very small market town in Cumbria.
The shop isn’t known for being cheap. 🤷‍♂️

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/05/2021 at 18:59, Scully said:

Per slab, Eley Select were three quid more than my local agricultural engineering outlet before last lockdown, which surprised me somewhat as you’d think that with the quantities Westlands must buy they would be a little cheaper. 

Just pick em up at Malmo before you go  ??

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Scully said:

Malmö is an hour in the wrong direction from me if I’m going to Westlands.🙂

It is for me too (in the opposite direction) . I just buy a few thousand at a time  😐

Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a ride up this morning. Really like the new shop, plenty of goodies to drool over! 
If anyone is after a 20 bore for next season for a lady or child, there is an excellent Ruger Red Label in. 
Others to catch my eye were a Benelli Super Sport, a couple of S1 M2’s, and of course the Beretta 1301 Pro, but not from there, far too expensive. 
There was an over the top ( engraving wise ) CG Provenant (?) at 9k, and the only Perazzi which caught my eye was Peter’s MX 2000s. 
He may drive a £1.25 million McLaren, but when it’s behind my Landrover on that road, it can only do 45mph! 😂

Anyhow, shot like a **** ( just inconsistent ) on most stands except for the tower stands, which now I’m finding rather easy but still very satisfying ( it’s all down to gun speed ) even with mates gun....that XS Pro really does come up well. 
Enjoyed the skeet, but mate outshot me with his 32” Browning. He also excelled on DTL with 1/4 and 1/4 until the trap ceased to work. His gun fits him very well, and his breaks for the most part were impressive. I think the XS. will be a keeper. 
Frustrating day for me on the whole, but still really enjoyed the day.
Very hot. 
Coffee has improved immensely. 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...