Oil change intervals

Rob85

On 26/05/2021 at 13:38, Rewulf said:

Those small capacity petrol turbo engines are working hard  to produce enough power to move that 1.5 tonne vehicle around.

Do yourself a favour and ignore that service interval, oil and filter at least every 10000 miles.

++1 

On 28/05/2021 at 09:45, hodge911 said:

I do mine & all family cars at 6000 miles or 6 months which ever comes 1st .

Its a carry over from my apprentice days at garage servicing the likes of cortinas , princess , marinas - austin 1100  ect 

i do at 5k it easier to remember  im the same as you old school      the oil is the cheapest part of the engine  

17 hours ago, Saltings said:

++1 

i do at 5k it easier to remember  im the same as you old school      the oil is the cheapest part of the engine  

Yep and everything got either castrol gtx or duckhams Q  non of this semi synthetic  or longlife fully synthetic  gubbins

On 26/05/2021 at 17:00, Rob85 said:

The dacia engines are pretty much the same as the engines in a nissan qashqai, the 1.5dci diesel is the renault K9K series engine, dates back to the early 2000s as far as I know.

That oil change interval is designed to wreck your car over 3 to 5 years so you come back and buy another new car

That's assuming the snapping timing belt issue doesn't trash if first.
Happened twice to my son's qashqai, the second time after they had allegedly fitted the new improved timing belt kit with the factory fix.

2 hours ago, serrac said:

That's assuming the snapping timing belt issue doesn't trash if first.
Happened twice to my son's qashqai, the second time after they had allegedly fitted the new improved timing belt kit with the factory fix.

Ive had multiple 1.5 Dci engined vehicles from 2005 up to present day, and the only time I ever heard of a timing belt issue was when my ex's 2012 Megane was recalled for a timing belt mod, shes still got it and its been fine.
The only reason I can think of that it would go twice is if someone didnt fit it right to be honest ?

Generally speaking that engine is brilliant, economical and with plenty of power, and good reliability , which is why its fitted to so many different vehicle makes.

8 hours ago, Rewulf said:

Ive had multiple 1.5 Dci engined vehicles from 2005 up to present day, and the only time I ever heard of a timing belt issue was when my ex's 2012 Megane was recalled for a timing belt mod, shes still got it and its been fine.
The only reason I can think of that it would go twice is if someone didnt fit it right to be honest ?

Generally speaking that engine is brilliant, economical and with plenty of power, and good reliability , which is why its fitted to so many different vehicle makes.

Hmm interesting - the impression I got from him was he had researched it and found it was a common problem.

The 2nd time around he got a replacement engine fitted at no cost because they couldn't demonstrate that the first replacement engine had been fitted with the revised timing belt kit,  so you're probably right about that.

18000 mls or 12 mts service intervals    it always ends up  18000++ a bit    could be three years        oil becomes acidic and eats white metal off bearings        back in the day a triumph 2000 used to go shoping once a week   3 mls   plastic on door cards and back seats     12 yr old    7500 on the clock  never been serviced burning oil like i dont know what but prestine   i walked away  i needed a car to go to work not rebuild time and money     my gaffer had a ford sierra with 240000  motorway use   after 3 years sweet as a nut  brake pads and discs nout else other than full service every 5k    i ran another 6 yrs   i stopped   others didnt   a pile up on m6      scrap  at 360000  still didnt burn oil 

5 hours ago, serrac said:

Hmm interesting - the impression I got from him was he had researched it and found it was a common problem.

The 2nd time around he got a replacement engine fitted at no cost because they couldn't demonstrate that the first replacement engine had been fitted with the revised timing belt kit,  so you're probably right about that.

I had a 1.5dci, someone wrote it off for me so the belt was never an issue but it is a common problem like you say. Something catches the belt and wears it away. I think it's been fixed now but wouldn't fancy another just in case, especially as the rest of the engine range was chain driven. Other than the belt issue it was a good engine. 

14 hours ago, serrac said:

Not common across the whole 1.5 Dci range , but specific to 105 BHP engines in a certain VIN group , misaligned fuel pump causing chafing of the belt.

23 hours ago, Rewulf said:

the only time I ever heard of a timing belt issue was when my ex's 2012 Megane was recalled for a timing belt mod

Like I said , however....

Renault (and Nissan) should have recalled all affected vehicles to fix the problem , but .....

Hi mate renault recommend a new engine. But could do just valves. It effects lagunas and possibly clios renault wont pay anything towards it though

Thanks for the reply @lemonnobby. After having researched about this in detail, it seems this problem happens in all models of renault vehicles fitted with a K9K 105 bhp (78kw) dci engine. This has been noted on the NCA on DVSA.

After speaking to DVSA, it has transpired that Renault have incorrectly informed DVSA about the VIN range noted on the NCA. It is NOT VF1J22B0D43787470 but it should be VF1JZ2B0D43787470 and applies to all vehicles fitted with K9K 832 1.5 dci diesel engines. As a result of this error, Renault may have not got the complete list of people affected by the issue from the DVLA and hence would not have sent letters for recall. People with vehicles fitted with this engine should speak to Renault UK asap.

Raised a Freedom of Information request to DVLA and they state it is the the step 2 K9K 1.5 dci engines. I dont know what step 2 means.

Like I say , its only that VIN group that has the issue , older or newer ones didnt have a problem.

On 27/05/2021 at 12:44, Westward said:

Service interval on my petrol non turbo Mazda is 12,500 miles and at 65K it never needs a top up and the oil stays fairly clean on the dipstick. Interestingly the exact same car sold in America has a service interval of 5K miles. How does that work?

Similar in Canada. We have a daughter there and her new Honda civic "few years ago now" oil change interval was 5.000 miles to stay under warranty. BUT the service guy was talking of several customers who's cars had topped over half a million miles and still ran.

3 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

Similar in Canada. We have a daughter there and her new Honda civic "few years ago now" oil change interval was 5.000 miles to stay under warranty. BUT the service guy was talking of several customers who's cars had topped over half a million miles and still ran.

I'm guessing, but both Canada and the USA have quite extreme climate compared to UK - both have extreme cold - and the USA has extreme hot as well.

If you don't put fully synthetic oil in a turbo car you will wreck the turbo.

The turbo runs too hot for non synthetic oils and they carbonised inside the turbo and block the oil ways.

The OP picture looks remarkably like wrong oil has been put in the engine