National Trust woes...

Rewulf

Because 'charitable' organisations like the NT , and BASC while we are here, seem rather intent on upsetting the members with ill thought out directions, and seeing as they will not publish the loss in membership resulting, it can be gleaned from some reports to be devastating enough , that in the NT s case , the membership are attempting to remove the executive !

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9605873/Furious-National-Trust-members-plot-oust-charitys-chairman-woke-agenda.html?ito=facebook_share_fbia-top&fbclid=IwAR17KMw1Y6fOxg9JU7wk13ZqEzFVPoKL22WLjIMREZwPECFoxJRlXJso2KU

Many people like myself  cancelled their membership last year over the NTs idiotic wokery, but the direction and agenda at the heart of these new policies might be just the tip of the iceberg, apparently the membership demographic of white middle to older aged punters, are something the NT would rather have less of.

https://thecritic.co.uk/is-this-the-end-for-the-national-trust/

Is this a new trend for 'British' institutions ?
Being embarrassed of their principle clientele ?

6 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

How do we do the same with BASC? 

BASC have armour coated themselves over this type of thing unfortunately , best thing to do with them is defund them via cancelling of memberships.
Once the advertisers realise the target audience is diminishing (Thats why the BASC  wont  release the figures of how many have left) they will demand reduced rates , or just not bother, further diminishing their cash flow.

5 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

BASC have armour coated themselves over this type of thing unfortunately , best thing to do with them is defund them via cancelling of memberships.
Once the advertisers realise the target audience is diminishing (Thats why the BASC  wont  release the figures of how many have left) they will demand reduced rates , or just not bother, further diminishing their cash flow.

Here, here.

3 minutes ago, Pushandpull said:

BASC is not a charity, and its governance is quite different from NT.

As a member, there are two obvious ways to influence policy. the first is to bring a resolution to the AGM. The second is to stand for election to Council.

Yeah, that’ll work. 👍

Scully, I don't care if it will work or not - I am past caring about BASC or for that matter sarcasm on this forum. I am simply indicating that there are mechanisms in place, in reply to the question from Lloyd90. BASC policy has been influenced in the past both by Colin Greenwood's repeated visits to AGM and by the collective action of wildfowlers in getting members onto Council.

No doubt it would be more difficult today.

13 minutes ago, old man said:

Talking NT, their antics of flashing the excess cash (as near here) will mean that an increase of any type of membership will be essential.

Not sure it will; they are sitting on £1 billion of investments. Remember that the next time they want to raise your membership fee!

2 minutes ago, treetree said:

Not sure it will; they are sitting on £1 billion of investments. Remember that the next time they want to raise your membership fee!

Will be interesting when they try to sell some off?

Maybe use Flog it?

3 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Good, I'm glad that there appears to be a way to deal with these crazy people.

Speaking locally they (Trust) could not run the proverbial in a brewery - I just met a lady who is staying in one of the Trust's exorbitantly priced holiday homes. They have had no hot water for three days because the oil ran out for the boiler which meant that the happy holiday makers had to tramp half a mile to a vacant cottage to use the shower. They are not pleased.

Upper management changed for the worse in the early twenties - their policies have lost membership and respect.

1 hour ago, Pushandpull said:

As a member, there are two obvious ways to influence policy. the first is to bring a resolution to the AGM. The second is to stand for election to Council.

That approach did not work out very well for any previous attempts by "outsiders" who were sufficiently p**d off to try and do something about the executive. Swifty'n Co made sure of that..

1 hour ago, CaptC said:

Speaking locally they (Trust) could not run the proverbial in a brewery - I just met a lady who is staying in one of the Trust's exorbitantly priced holiday homes. They have had no hot water for three days because the oil ran out for the boiler which meant that the happy holiday makers had to tramp half a mile to a vacant cottage to use the shower. They are not pleased.

Upper management changed for the worse in the early twenties - their policies have lost membership and respect.

£1900 for five days and no hot water!

I could write a book on the excess of money wasted on schemes that "they" think their members might like. It's all PR whilst loosing conservation as it used to be.

I lost what little interest that I had in them when aided and abetted by his rat of a son they reneged on the agreement made that the estate would be left to to NT provided hunting would continue. All that they had to do was wait a few months and legislation would have done the job for them.

Edited by wymberley

5 minutes ago, wymberley said:

I lost what little interest that I had in them when aided and abetted by his rat of a son they reneged on the agreement made that the estate would be left to to NT provided hunting would continue. All that they had to do was wait a few months and legislation would have done the job for them.

If the late owners of some of the estates bequeathed to the Trust knew what they had done there would be a rush for matches and petrol!

3 hours ago, Pushandpull said:

Scully, I don't care if it will work or not - I am past caring about BASC or for that matter sarcasm on this forum. I am simply indicating that there are mechanisms in place, in reply to the question from Lloyd90. BASC policy has been influenced in the past both by Colin Greenwood's repeated visits to AGM and by the collective action of wildfowlers in getting members onto Council.

No doubt it would be more difficult today.

Neither do I, which is why I’m no longer a member. 
Many other interested parties and individuals have tried to influence policy, and just as many have failed. 
The NGO came into being through one of those failures, and I sat through a meeting hosted by Swift ( then the head honcho ) who ignored all attempts to influence policy regarding steel shot. 
BASC’s policies are heavily influenced by politics, over which they have little or no control. They are followers of policy rather than policy makers. 

3 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Funny you should say that: you weren't in Dorset on Sunday by any chance were you? 

No, I was in Cornwall watch’s river bank disappear that the Trust “repaired”. 
Nothing like a good bodge job?

The reality is that when conservation becomes a job, the emphasis or priority becomes finance and conservation becomes second fiddle. The difference with unpaid individuals involved with conservation is that conservation is a passion and carries on without having to look over the shoulder as to who may withdraw financial support. 

9 hours ago, Fisheruk said:

The reality is that when conservation becomes a job, the emphasis or priority becomes finance and conservation becomes second fiddle. The difference with unpaid individuals involved with conservation is that conservation is a passion and carries on without having to look over the shoulder as to who may withdraw financial support. 

Absolutely bang on the button. 👍

9 hours ago, Fisheruk said:

Agreed.

40 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I read this morning that the chairman has resigned ahead of a proposed resolution (by the Restore Trust group) to remove him to be tabled at the AGM.

Good. A ‘woke’ individual if ever there was one.