Neighbours

jamesleee123

Hi fellas,  new neighbours have moved in a few doors down, and on Saturday I heard the unmistakable crack of a springer. Great I thought, looking across the gardens at a paper target pinned to their back fence, another airgunner, I can use this as an ice breaker. The bloke then appeared rifle shouldered and took a pot shot at 2 pigeons sat in the guttering of the flats opposite. As it was a good 60 yard shot and he had open sights the pellet bounced off the roof scattering the pigeons. I shook my head in dismay and my missus told me not to interfere. I don't want to be a nosy neighbour but should I tell him he can't fire across 4 gardens and everything else wrong with the situation or just leave him to get on with it.

Cheers 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd go and have chat.better that a fellow airgunner points him gentally in the right direction than someone else .

Your other neighbours probably know you shoot .you don't want a pull from the plod for something u haven't  done .

You never know he could become a great friend  .

If he sounds like an idiot from the off .don't tell him where u live .

He's only 3 doors down Stu so he's seen me already, it could have just been a one off there were 3 of them there and I'm not sure who lives there, they've been doing the house up for ages. If it happens again I'll have a word. Also I will show any coppers that turn up this thread, I've got a fence a wall and I still use a box filled with old magazines and a metal plate for a backstop just in case.

2 hours ago, jamesleee123 said:

Hi fellas,  new neighbours have moved in a few doors down, and on Saturday I heard the unmistakable crack of a springer. Great I thought, looking across the gardens at a paper target pinned to their back fence, another airgunner, I can use this as an ice breaker. The bloke then appeared rifle shouldered and took a pot shot at 2 pigeons sat in the guttering of the flats opposite. As it was a good 60 yard shot and he had open sights the pellet bounced off the roof scattering the pigeons. I shook my head in dismay and my missus told me not to interfere. I don't want to be a nosy neighbour but should I tell him he can't fire across 4 gardens and everything else wrong with the situation or just leave him to get on with it.

Cheers 

You would be surprised the amount of people who do not have a clue about air rifle use and the law, they usually buy a rifle on a whim for a bit of plinking in the garden, most of these people (but not all) have never had any guidance or involvement with shooting.

Next time you see him It might be a good idea to start off with, “Hello mate, I see you doing a bit of plinking in the garden, what rifle you got”…...if he’s receptive to your approach and does not seem like a total tool, you could tell him about your setup.

I am sure you could move the conversation on by dropping a few hints without it sounding like you are telling him what he can and cannot do, he may even start to ask questions if he’s keen to learn.

Having said all the above I do know a couple people who have been using air rifles for a good few years and they still act like a couple of tools.

10 minutes ago, old'un said:

You would be surprised the amount of people who do not have a clue about air rifle use and the law, they usually buy a rifle on a whim for a bit of plinking in the garden, most of these people (but not all) have never had any guidance or involvement with shooting.

Next time you see him It might be a good idea to start off with, “Hello mate, I see you doing a bit of plinking in the garden, what rifle you got”…...if he’s receptive to your approach and does not seem like a total tool, you could tell him about your setup.

I am sure you could move the conversation on by dropping a few hints without it sounding like you are telling him what he can and cannot do, he may even start to ask questions if he’s keen to learn.

Having said all the above I do know a couple people who have been using air rifles for a good few years and they still act like a couple of tools.

You would also be amazed and scared stiff how many are out there with FAC rifles and I am not talking air.  Keep an eye on him and see what developes but personally my initial reaction would to stay well clear and so there is no 'association' should something crack off.  DO NOT be in any way associated with him.

I have a similar circumstance but much more serious where I no longer associate with someone because to do so just might effect MY good name.

Play it very cool and keep your ears and eyes open   He sounds to be a complete idiot.

That is my ex Professional opinion by the way.

I would pop a note through the door simply saying you can't shoot across other people's gardens,  chances are they had friends round who thought taking pot shots was a good idea, probably after a few beers.

I'm with Walker steer clear.

We had friends round and a few beers, my rifles were safely locked away out of sight.

8 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

You would also be amazed and scared stiff how many are out there with FAC rifles and I am not talking air.  Keep an eye on him and see what developes but personally my initial reaction would to stay well clear and so there is no 'association' should something crack off.  DO NOT be in any way associated with him.

I have a similar circumstance but much more serious where I no longer associate with someone because to do so just might effect MY good name.

Play it very cool and keep your ears and eyes open   He sounds to be a complete idiot.

That is my ex Professional opinion by the way.

I agree totally that this is the best option at the moment.

We had a neighbour who used the rear fence for target practice using a break-barrel. Problem being kids playing in the garden behind. Police visited and found his house splattered with blood,,,, he'd beaten his GF so badly he got done for attempted murder.

Moral of this tale,,,, don't get involved with something that has the potential to go terribly wrong.

so we let him get on with what he's doing and next we hear some kid is hit in the face with an air rifle pellet and thus another news story about guns, another nail in our coffin, this guy either needs some guidance or reporting to the police, ignoring what he’s doing will not help anyone.

24 minutes ago, JKD said:

I agree totally that this is the best option at the moment.

We had a neighbour who used the rear fence for target practice using a break-barrel. Problem being kids playing in the garden behind. Police visited and found his house splattered with blood,,,, he'd beaten his GF so badly he got done for attempted murder.

Moral of this tale,,,, don't get involved with something that has the potential to go terribly wrong.

So what would you have done if you witnessed him beating his girlfriend outside your house?

I dont agree with your neighbours actions and think he should be stopped, but how things have changed. As a child my mates and I used to take starlings off neighbours roofs with air rifles. Often adults would ask for a go and no-one complained. Airguns then were classed as toys. Now they are weapons.

Irresponsible behaviour reflects upon all of us. Once a few pellets start hitting windows etc and people know you shoot in your garden you are going to have hassle. 

If it were me I would not want to “make friends” or let him know you shoot, but just inform him that if he fires a pellet over your garden again you will have to call the police. Two birds with one stone, no more worries about him shooting and you don’t have to make false small talk when you bump into him as he will now hate you. Which is good and healthy for neighbours.

This does not surprise me, bought a gamo phox few years ago, private housing estate small gardens, guy brings out the gun on his small drive to show me how powerful +accurate starts shooting the wood surround of his garage then shot a few at the gable end of the house at the end of street because it was (white washed) and you can see where the pellets were hitting, this was a 30 _ 40 year old with a family, and is true, 

3 hours ago, old'un said:

So what would you have done if you witnessed him beating his girlfriend outside your house?

I'd have done nothing, as that particular guy did that only behind closed doors. Anyway, that scenario isn't in question here. I tell you what,,,, you go and knock on James' neighbour's door and put him right 👍

"It only takes good men to do nothing , to allow bad men to prosper",  Find the number of your "Community Officer' , and have a discreet word.

The situation may arise where a dead bird is found shot by an air gun , and the blame lands at your door.

That way , you cover yourself, and responsible airgunners reputation. 

8 hours ago, jamesleee123 said:

Cheers 

He and people like him are one of the reasons why we have the airgun  licence up here now.

This seams like a choice between bravery and cowardice  .

The brave says something to him and potentially  averts an accident , and deals with any  social fallout .

The coward hides behind doors and hopes it will go away .and shys away from any blame that comes his way hopeing non will stick .

Choice is yours .

In the good old days you could quietly have a word with the officer responsible for your area and it would be soted no problem. Today they don't exist, yes there are PCSOs but how often do you se one of those.  Reporting it today would in all probability see a full tactical firearms turn out with air support.  As you say, keep an eye on the situation and if it repeats then TRY and have a quiet word with your local police...... if you know where to find them. Ours are 20 miles away.