Neighbours

jamesleee123

I Had this happen to me, some new neighbours moved in across the road from South Africa, anyway  I had the day off, to do some work on my house and paint my gate, I was happily painting away and heard the clatter of and old springer, I thought someone is having some fun, then just after I thought it a dead sparrow dropped off my Roof.

So I picked it up and went across the road and told him it was  a good shot but he wasn't allowed to do that in the UK, I informed him that it's a firearms offence and could carry 5 years in the nick, I told he could happily shoot in his own garden providing 2 things, 1. the pellet never leaves his own boundary and 2. he's not annoying neighbours and shooting birds off their roof is not a good way to start, he seemed a decent sort just not familiar with the UK airgun laws.

If it were me, I'd go and have a word, just be polite, just say it's better coming from a fellow airgunner  than being taken away in bracelets down to the local nick. I'm sure he will see sense.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, jamesleee123 said:

The bloke went to his van as my wife and I got back from shopping, stunk of weed, think I will steer clear.

That's why I'd go with the note, not worth the aggro,  then if it happens again you ring the police. 

14 hours ago, Rimfireboy said:

I don’t think people who misuse airguns would bother about getting a license. 

not a question whether people who misuse  airguns    would get a licence ,actions like this is one of the reasons the snp introduced the licence to add to the severity of the legal proceedings on unlicenced airgun owner or any misuse  and hopefully keep airguns in responsible licenced  users hands,and out of reach of non licence holders  not every airgun user/owner  knows it can be a firearms offence but after going through the licence procedure they will know

not that i 100% agree with it as it impacts on the youngster learning shooting  but can see it  being introduced to england and wales (they are on fac in norn ireland as far as i am aware)

Edited by AULD YIN
add info

37 minutes ago, clangerman said:

stick to doing nothing with the weed and rifle he’s now digging his hole with two shovels 

Yep, we have been ignoring things like this for years, just bury your head in the sand and it will all go away.

My only similar experience was the neighbours at the bottom of the garden .  They're eastern European so conversation is always stunted at best . One Sunday afternoon I was sitting by my pond , the neighbours had friends round as usual , and someone had brought a hand held crossbow along . They were shooting bolts at a cardboard box that was in front of their shed door . I could hear the bolts bouncing off the door , and going in all directions . After about a dozen shots , I looked over the fence and shook my head at the neighbour . He just said sorry and took the crossbow into the house , and that was the end of the matter. 

I spoke to the lad earlier today, he said it was his brother in law and dad with the rifle and he didn't realise the severity of his actions. It was never a case of being scared or cowardly, I'm a big bloke with a shaved head and don't say much. I just didn't want to come across as a nosy neighbour. Hopefully that's it and all will be well.

1 hour ago, NoBodyImportant said:

If he was shooting his own roof I’d say mind your business, but in this case I’d knock his teeth out if I saw him disrespect my property or my neighbors.  But I have been known to make poor choices and have been deemed aberrantly violent by the state of North Carolina.   So you do want you feel is right.  

Unfortunately we cannot do that sort of thing…..well we can, but you are likely to have a visit from plod and your guns removed and possibly lose your ticket/s.

1 hour ago, NoBodyImportant said:

If he was shooting his own roof I’d say mind your business, but in this case I’d knock his teeth out if I saw him disrespect my property or my neighbors.  But I have been known to make poor choices and have been deemed aberrantly violent by the state of North Carolina.   So you do want you feel is right.  

I was much the same until the police warned me, ‘any more violence and we will remove your gun licences!’

The days of filling someone in are long gone, got a family, mortgage and responsible job now, plus I'm far too pretty for jail. Hopefully it won't happen again if it does crimestoppers will get a call.

Cheers for all the advice, entertaining as usual. I will let you know if it does happen again, it is Bank Holiday weekend after all.

3 hours ago, jamesleee123 said:

The days of filling someone in are long gone, got a family, mortgage and responsible job now, plus I'm far too pretty for jail. Hopefully it won't happen again if it does crimestoppers will get a call.

Cheers for all the advice, entertaining as usual. I will let you know if it does happen again, it is Bank Holiday weekend after all.

So your a pretty boy then 😭😭😭

Good result hopefully. 

Never initiate anything that may develop into a problem with your neighbours. Look away, walk away and bite your tongue. Observe, take photos but never say anything.

Horrific feuds can start from nothing and you only have to watch programmes like neighbours from hell to see what is possible  

Being on the other end of things even thou I have not stepped out side of the law on air guns having the police turn up due to neighbours worry's about me shooting in my own garden in the correct manner, I find galling and don't respect that kind of approach they could of come round and spoke with me, like the lass over the back she said she did not like the idea of it but I did say I had been shooting on my own property's for 40 years and was not ending the practice any time soon, the noise of the pellets hitting the back plate was the main issue for her and because she was fair and forward about it I added more padding to the back plate dropping the sound down even more so, she has said nothing more. Every time the police are called it only adds to a negative tally, it is are right to shoot and own these fab little guns and I loth the idea that, that can be taken because a few worry about are ownership or those that use them in a foolish way.

Edited by Chaz25

2 hours ago, jamesleee123 said:

The problem was he shot across four gardens, hit someone else's property and shot at a pigeon at sixty yards with open sights, it wasn't moaning about someone plinking in the garden. He broke a string of laws and that is a problem to the airgun community.

I agree and for that he needs his ear bent if that dose not work then its officers of the law all the way.