Why I don’t let any dog leap at my boys

WalkedUp

3 hours ago, mel b3 said:

I don't honestly know Jim.  I only saw it for a split second . It was only a smallish one , that was a dark colour and quite thick legs . I was messing with saplings when I felt it bite , I saw it for a second as I pulled my hand away . As I stood up , I felt a sting on my belly, and looked down and a bee had stung me through my t shirt , and was stuck to me .

image.png.46e9008e185ffc9a51de4f932b19b403.png

Are you sure it wasn't a ginger spider. 🤷‍♀️

2 hours ago, mel b3 said:

That's a most disturbing looking spider 😲.

I agree Mel

I have suffered from 'spiderphobia' as I like to call it for most of my life, I am sure it resulted from my sister lobbing a huge house spider at me when I was a nipper. As irrational as it maybe, minor traumatic events have an uncanny occurrence of ingraining themselves at the very forefront of our fears.

In an attempt to conquer my demons I have made great personal strides over the last several years and can now pick up a small Incy Wincy. Not your big house spidders, such as the ones that you can hear scuttling across the wooden floor but the smaller brethren, for the present my limit is the size of a 5 pence piece. What gets me is the speed they move. I can still go from a standing upright position into a good 3 ft vertical launch then sideways onto the couch or chair, a  physiological feat that I thought only capable by '**** Fosbury'.

That picture gives me the willies. Arrrgghhhh!

46 minutes ago, 7daysinaweek said:

I agree Mel

I have suffered from 'spiderphobia' as I like to call it for most of my life, I am sure it resulted from my sister lobbing a huge house spider at me when I was a nipper. As irrational as it maybe, minor traumatic events have an uncanny occurrence of ingraining themselves at the very forefront of our fears.

In an attempt to conquer my demons I have made great personal strides over the last several years and can now pick up a small Incy Wincy. Not your big house spidders, such as the ones that you can hear scuttling across the wooden floor but the smaller brethren, for the present my limit is the size of a 5 pence piece. What gets me is the speed they move. I can still go from a standing upright position into a good 3 ft vertical launch then sideways onto the couch or chair, a  physiological feat that I thought only capable by '**** Fosbury'.

That picture gives me the willies. Arrrgghhhh!

Funny thing with spiders , the bigger it is , the less it scares me .

I once remember losing a tarantula at 4 am when I was extremely drunk 😳. It didn't go down well 😳.

I'm a bit dodgy with daddy long legs as well . I'm happy to pick them up , or have them crawling on my head and face when I'm laying in a field with a gun , but , I can't sleep if one is in the bedroom 😳

25 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

Funny thing with spiders , the bigger it is , the less it scares me .

I once remember losing a tarantula at 4 am when I was extremely drunk 😳. It didn't go down well 😳.

I'm a bit dodgy with daddy long legs as well . I'm happy to pick them up , or have them crawling on my head and face when I'm laying in a field with a gun , but , I can't sleep if one is in the bedroom 😳

Ahh Mel, that tickled me conjuring up the commotion that must have ensued. :lol: It sounded like something out of a movie. "It lurks behind the sofa".

DISCLAIMER: No arachnids were harmed in the making of this production.

16 minutes ago, London Best said:

With me it’s moths. 
I can’t cope with the crazy way they all seem to flutter into my face and disintegrate into a cloud of dust if you catch them.

They are all dry and papery when you swallow one. Pttthhhh.

29 minutes ago, 7daysinaweek said:

Ahh Mel, that tickled me conjuring up the commotion that must have ensued. :lol: It sounded like something out of a movie. "It lurks behind the sofa".

DISCLAIMER: No arachnids were harmed in the making of this production.

They are all dry and papery when you swallow one. Pttthhhh.

In my defence , I did recapture the beastie . My late wife was a woman not given to bad language , but she called me words that I didn't think she knew 😳.

20 minutes ago, London Best said:

I have an old school friend from 60 years ago who has always been mad enough to eat live, fluttering moths for a bet. Just to disgust people.

I have a mate that would eat spiders , right up until the tiny little green spider that he was about to eat , bit him on the bottom lip . Within minutes his lip looked like a big red cricket ball 😅.

On 27/05/2021 at 04:14, mel b3 said:

I don't honestly know Jim.  I only saw it for a split second . It was only a smallish one , that was a dark colour and quite thick legs . I was messing with saplings when I felt it bite , I saw it for a second as I pulled my hand away . As I stood up , I felt a sting on my belly, and looked down and a bee had stung me through my t shirt , and was stuck to me .

Could have been one of these?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amaurobius_ferox

File:Black Lace Weaver (Amaurobius ferox).jpg

What an utterly creepy species....

".....when the molting process is complete, the spiderlings cannibalize their mother"

😮

Back to the dog attack  that was terrible  .

How would you stand if you killed the dog ?

Or knocked it unconscious  with say a .... trolley jack handle or breaker bar from the boot of your car ?

Coz if I came upon  that situation I'd  be very tempted to do the dog harm . It most definitely needs putting down and the owner prosocuted in court

25 minutes ago, hodge911 said:

How would you stand if you killed the dog ?

I do not know but wondered this same question yesterday. Two dogs (some sort of bulldog/staff is cross) had got loose and came through the woods onto my dad’s land. They had attacked some other people in the woods I could just about hear and see but decided not to get involved. We were playing rounders. The dogs snapped and snarled at the children and out dogs. I saw them on their way. My BIL shooed then on further and they went for him so I cracked one (under arm) with the rounders bat in my hand. They yelped and disappeared off. I know you are not meant to leave base with the bat, but in the scenario it was justified. I said to my BIL that the funny thing was if they were chasing my sheep rather than my children I could have rightly shot the dogs on the spot. 

10 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

I do not know but wondered this same question yesterday. Two dogs (some sort of bulldog/staff is cross) had got loose and came through the woods onto my dad’s land. They had attacked some other people in the woods I could just about hear and see but decided not to get involved. We were playing rounders. The dogs snapped and snarled at the children and out dogs. I saw them on their way. My BIL shooed then on further and they went for him so I cracked one (under arm) with the rounders bat in my hand. They yelped and disappeared off. I know you are not meant to leave base with the bat, but in the scenario it was justified. I said to my BIL that the funny thing was if they were chasing my sheep rather than my children I could have rightly shot the dogs on the spot. 

I've been mulling it over most of the night after viewing the video and came to my personal answer that I would if the circumstances permitted  be prepared to put my ticket at risk and probably get nicked and shoot the dog 

A gamekeeper mate of mine has shot a dog for actually killing 3 sheep on the estate he keepers on . We we're driving around the estate in kubota and came across the horrible scene the dog a rotty cross was in a what can only be explained as a frenzy there was owners in sight anywhere so a 85gr .243 ended it . The dog had no collar on . We informed the police who came and removed the dog and photographed the dead & injured sheep.

He got a call a couple of weeks later that the dog was not chipped , no one had reported losing it 

7 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

The right answer, but I think shooting a dog in an attack situation would be very difficult and dangerous. 

Completely agree bud that's why I said if the circumstances permitted and it was 100% safe to do so to save a child or adult from being savaged

20 hours ago, hodge911 said:

Completely agree bud that's why I said if the circumstances permitted and it was 100% safe to do so to save a child or adult from being savaged

If it could be done safely, it wouldn't be illegal, the problem in that situation however would be a moving target very close to the victim in a built up area, I can't see it being possible in that situation.