Why I don’t let any dog leap at my boys

WalkedUp

I started watching these ASP videos on gun law and concealed carry to get an American perspective on media covered police events and it has been very educational. However this one popped up today from Birmingham. This is why any dog that runs up to my boys or snapping / barking gets my full wrath. The mother here was awful. Dog owner should be convicted of GBH and facing a long prison spell. I presume the dog was destroyed thankfully.

What a terrifying situation for the child and parent, an all too often occurrence. Asides the emotional trauma, dog bites carry an increased risk of infection and carry a higher risk of sepsis development to many other common pathogens. Dogs and moggies carry the capnocytophaga bacteria in saliva, bites to the face, hands feet and genital areas are complex bites as carry a risk of puncture to the underlying structures of the skin and fatty adipose tissue such as tendon and bone and increase the risk of a fast moving severe infection resulting in an even higher sepsis risk. There are still several fatal deaths each year from cat and dog bites not related to significant acute trauma but the development of bacterial sepsis. Dogs and cats may have also been routing in soil which has an increased risk also of tetanus though tetanus infection are very, very rare.

Since the lockdown was reduced we have returned to seeing many more dog bites, sadly on a daily basis I and my colleagues are again increasingly speaking with plastic surgeons to accept urgent referrals for puncture wounds sustained through complex dog bites. Complex bites can result in an inpatient stays of 48 hours or longer and for Iv antibiotics with exploratory/surgical debridement with skin grafting. Outcomes can be as minimal as mild infection with no long term complications to moderate to severe infection, co-morbid loss of sensitivity and reduced ability to the limb or long term co-morbid symptoms on quality of life resulting from sepsis.  

Thankfully many bites are superficial, non-complex and do not require a referral onto plastics for further assessment and can be managed after initial assessment by healthcare with tetanus status, good primary wound care and oral prophylactic antibiotics with red flag symptoms discussed with the individual, and when to seek advice. Some non-complex bites require 2 day follow up for visual review for groups that are at a higher risk of infection/complication, i.e., immunocompromised or multiple comorbidities. The emotional, behavioural and psychological impact cannot be understated, especially when children are involved.

In my experience high risk cases that we safeguard many owners are not prosecuted they simply give up the animal for the police to remove and no prosecution follows. Sometimes the victims of other individuals dogs do not wish to pursue in case of reprisal and often the offending animal is never found when the police follow up. 

Moral accountability within our society appears to be increasingly scant.

atb

7diaw

That is awful and what idiot has aloud a dog like that to roam around or escape, particularly with a school nearby is an idiot.

That dog clearly had its prey drive triggered, I obviously in no way blame the woman but if she had been confident towards the dog it may have been a different outcome, dogs are very good at picking up on body language and you could see she was undertandbly very nervous (to that dog, they acted like prey) although an aggressive act towards it would be very unadvised and could also have triggered it as it clearly saw itself as higher up the food chain. That dog absolutely needs destroying as once it has done that once, it will see other kids as prey. 

I'd love to know what happened to the owner. 

Agree with the above about needing accountability increasingly scant for the owners, and needing to know how to deal with dogs when living in our society even if you do not like dogs. 

Unfortunately i imagine 7diaw will be dealing with more bites over the next 2 years as these lockdown pups become problem dogs. My next door neighbour was goading his terrier to play tug of war with a broom yesterday, I had a chuckle to myself ... fast forward to a year’s time when he can’t mop the floor and blames the dog’s breeding completely forgetting that he effectively trained it to be an eegit. 

Hi Walked up

Now restrictions have been recently relaxed we have seen an increase in the daily amount of dog bites, we get the numbers crunched for presentation of bites and are seeing more on a daily basis than the pre covid restrictions. Many owners are bitten from new pups, others are alleged public attacks, some are witnessed occurrences from when a dog attacks another persons dog and they try to break them up. Get a lot of people who are bitten whilst jogging, cycling or children playing outdoors

Bites we see most in ascending order:

1) Insects

flies, midges, mozzies, ticks, spiders

Animals and humans

1) dogs

2) cats

3) human

4) exotic animals (have personally dealt the following)

ferrets, parrots, lizards, snakes, racoon and meerkats

Most bites from exotics are handler direct, get the odd person in who has tried to pick up an escapee ferret and have been savaged by the "furry offender."

I agree walked up common sense is lacking with many when animals are concerned.

atb

7 hours ago, 7daysinaweek said:

Hi Walked up

Now restrictions have been recently relaxed we have seen an increase in the daily amount of dog bites, we get the numbers crunched for presentation of bites and are seeing more on a daily basis than the pre covid restrictions. Many owners are bitten from new pups, others are alleged public attacks, some are witnessed occurrences from when a dog attacks another persons dog and they try to break them up. Get a lot of people who are bitten whilst jogging, cycling or children playing outdoors

Bites we see most in ascending order:

1) Insects

flies, midges, mozzies, ticks, spiders

Animals and humans

1) dogs

2) cats

3) human

4) exotic animals (have personally dealt the following)

ferrets, parrots, lizards, snakes, racoon and meerkats

Most bites from exotics are handler direct, get the odd person in who has tried to pick up an escapee ferret and have been savaged by the "furry offender."

I agree walked up common sense is lacking with many when animals are concerned.

atb

aha.

while im here doctor , could you take a look at this oddly shaped lump please ?:lol:.

i picked up a spider bite on my finger almost two years ago(and also a bee sting within seconds) . now whenever i get a nettle sting , the bite swells up immediately , and in a variety of colours . should i expect this to be a permanent thing , or is it likely to stop in the future ?.

sorry for the thread hijack.:good:

No worries about the thread hijack, it’s an interesting and related point. 

Send a picture for the good doctor. 

My favourite client is a GP and property developer. In February in a site meeting he diagnosed my broken rib (without X Ray the hot lump was most likely compared to calcified heamatoma due to timescales and accident type) and now he believes I may need a skin graft for my burn. He has previously told me that he hates being randomly asked about problems (presented with penile discharge over the garden fence being one notable example) and so I avoid asking him to check, just let him know what is wrong and then wait for him to volunteer 🤣

41 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

No worries about the thread hijack, it’s an interesting and related point. 

Send a picture for the good doctor. 

My favourite client is a GP and property developer. In February in a site meeting he diagnosed my broken rib (without X Ray the hot lump was most likely compared to calcified heamatoma due to timescales and accident type) and now he believes I may need a skin graft for my burn. He has previously told me that he hates being randomly asked about problems (presented with penile discharge over the garden fence being one notable example) and so I avoid asking him to check, just let him know what is wrong and then wait for him to volunteer 🤣

7daysinaweek is the only medical professional that i listen to advice from to be honest . ive learned more from his covid19 posts than ive learned from the rest of the medical profession. ill do my very best to avoid any kind of penile discharge , but i cant make any promises :lol:.

the lump on my finger is a proper odd thing , sometimes its small , sometimes its huge , sometimes its wrinkly with a dent in the middle , the colour range is from skin tone , to light pink , bright red , brown , purple ish. sometimes its numb , and sometimes its really uncomfortable . it had been completely flat for a while , but popped up again after id picked up a few nettle stings on my legs last week, and is almost flat again now.

20210525_211844.jpg

20210525_212000.jpg

20210525_212103.jpg

31 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

aha.

while im here doctor , could you take a look at this oddly shaped lump please ?.

i picked up a spider bite on my finger almost two years ago(and also a bee sting within seconds) . now whenever i get a nettle sting , the bite swells up immediately , and in a variety of colours . should i expect this to be a permanent thing , or is it likely to stop in the future ?.

sorry for the thread hijack.:good:

Hi Mel

I would think that it likely that from the previous x2 bites at the same site that when you get a nettle sting this starts a localized inflammatory response and histamine are produced. Histamines cause both vasodilation and vasoconstriction of blood vessels and nettle fibres contain histamine. Old bite sites in the epidermis which have been envenomed by toxins from the offending beastie cause microvascular changes, scarring, stretching of the newly formed cells (hypereplithelzation) which can result in the difference in colouring and texture to the skin and in many cases not return to the prior normal appearance. It sounds like it may have an element of a "Granuloma annulare" which can be caused by insect bites, cause hyperpigmentation of the skin and can flare when histamines are produced. Granulomas annulareThey usually self resolve over time within 2 years but can last longer in some though less likely. They can also be linked to underlying conditions such as diabetes, however your history gives an indicative cause so unlikely. 

I would say best to get it checked but does not sound worrying. If your GP is unsure he or she will be able to refer you to dermatology who can take skin samples and look at it with a special light.

Mel

I was just about to post up and now seeing the picture it does not looks like a convincing granuloma to me though does share some lesser elements of one, it could be a mild psoriatic arthritis, usually affects two or more joints but can in some cases be one. I can see the joint nearset the nail is slightly swollen and the  proximal area of this is also swollen with bumps to the skin, This condition can flare when exposed to a external inflamatory response, I would say as it reoccurs get the gp to have a look as you may need bloods to exclude a underlying inflamatory condition such as arthritis as you report moderate to severe discomfort.

If I could feel it that can give a better indicator such as, is the swelling fluctuant, is the skin very warm when it occurs, is there crepitus felt within the joint, is it bony tender and rom, range of movement decreased.

. Numbness is a symptom of arthritis but also a symptoms of other causes such as a cyst which can spontaneously flare and reduce.

I would get get the quack to have a look, may need a referral to rheumatology, bloods, xray etc. I know it sound drastic but chronic ongoing flares of a single area can be a precusor for a underlying condition. Just need to get it excluded. In most cases these maladies turn out to be of no real concern and can be something as such as a recurrent cyst that requires minimal management.

atb

7diaw

@WalkedUp

That urethral discharge, first thing that comes to my mind could be a Balanitis, urethritis, cystitis, prostitis , insertion of foreign body into said pipe.

:unhappy: A possible trip to GUM clinic for that gentleman.

atb 

2 hours ago, mel b3 said:

7daysinaweek is the only medical professional that i listen to advice from to be honest . ive learned more from his covid19 posts than ive learned from the rest of the medical profession. ill do my very best to avoid any kind of penile discharge , but i cant make any promises .

the lump on my finger is a proper odd thing , sometimes its small , sometimes its huge , sometimes its wrinkly with a dent in the middle , the colour range is from skin tone , to light pink , bright red , brown , purple ish. sometimes its numb , and sometimes its really uncomfortable . it had been completely flat for a while , but popped up again after id picked up a few nettle stings on my legs last week, and is almost flat again now.

20210525_211844.jpg

20210525_212000.jpg

20210525_212103.jpg

You wanna chop that off! 

1 hour ago, WalkedUp said:

‘Ribbed for her pleasure’

:lol: 

Thank you very much for a fantastic explanation of things  sir . I have arthritis in my right wrist , and that behaves in a similar way , but without the colour and texture changes. 

I've wanted to visit the docs a few times with my finger , when it's been particularly swollen or painful,  but by the time you could get an appointment,  it's all better again , plus , I'd feel a right fool going to the docs with a lump on my finger 😳.

Thank you very much again for your detailed explanation 👍

9 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

Tell it to us straight Doc, is he going to make it?

its nothing to panic over , its just an overload of testosterone , that while im bald , and hung like a grand national winner :lol:

7 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

its nothing to panic over , its just an overload of testosterone , that while im bald , and hung like a grand national winner 

You are really doing yourself down with that one. I don't think that a stallion has ever won the Grand National. 

2 minutes ago, JDog said:

You are really doing yourself down with that one. I don't think that a stallion has ever won the Grand National. 

youve got me there , i should have done a quick google before i posted :yes:. im hung like a stallion , but not very bright :blush::lol:.

12 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

Tell it to us straight Doc, is he going to make it?

It was touch and go there for a while, but by God, he's going to make it. :lol:

14 hours ago, mel b3 said:

Thank you very much for a fantastic explanation of things  sir . I have arthritis in my right wrist , and that behaves in a similar way , but without the colour and texture changes. 

I've wanted to visit the docs a few times with my finger , when it's been particularly swollen or painful,  but by the time you could get an appointment,  it's all better again , plus , I'd feel a right fool going to the docs with a lump on my finger 😳.

Thank you very much again for your detailed explanation 👍

No problem at all Mel and no reason feeling that you are bothering your gp, as I say it is best getting it checked as it is reccuring and thank you for the kind words.

On another note, I think I may have seen you at the National, much like myself you were more of a work horse than a thoroughbred. :lol: I don't think you are ready for the knacker yard yet Mel.

atb 

7diaw

14 minutes ago, 7daysinaweek said:

It was touch and go there for a while, but by God, he's going to make it. 

All thanks to the restorative effects of a stick of ginger, the wonders of modern medicine never cease to amaze me. 

Edited by WalkedUp

1 hour ago, harkom said:

your finger looks like a possible trigger guard trauma ?

i shoot right handed , but on the odd occasion that i have taken left handed shots , id quite often give my , finger , shoulder , face , a bit of stick. 

45 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

Gout, lost mojo, weird fingers ... there is nothing it fails to cure.

it also improves your eyesight . just pop a piece in and your eyes will be wide open :lookaround:

4 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

@mel b3 what sort of spider bit you, just out of interest?

I don't honestly know Jim.  I only saw it for a split second . It was only a smallish one , that was a dark colour and quite thick legs . I was messing with saplings when I felt it bite , I saw it for a second as I pulled my hand away . As I stood up , I felt a sting on my belly, and looked down and a bee had stung me through my t shirt , and was stuck to me .