Laptop problem

steve_b_wales

A friend of mine has a new'ish (Lenovo) laptop and now, all of a sudden, she cannot use any of the letter keys. I looked at this morning and cannot find what has gone wrong. When trying it, a message states, 'you have entered your password too many times, to reset, press A1B2C3. I did this and then where you enter your password, it only accepts numbers. It won't even allow me to enter a new password by pressing the 'forgotten password' key. I'm baffled at this, although I'm not exactly a computer expert.

Any ideas?

Edited by steve_b_wales

If the keyboard has no number pad sometimes numlock can cause this as it uses standard keyboard keys in leu off the pad (number keys to the right of the keyboard) 

you could also try to enable the onscreen keyboard and use a mouse

https://www.alphr.com/windows-log-in-without-keyboard/#:~:text=On the Windows 10 login,for is On-Screen Keyboard.

5 hours ago, Demonic69 said:

Is it password or pin too many times? That error is usually for the pin, so will be numerical. Has she set a pin on the machine previously

When the laptop is switched on, her email address shows on the screen, and then she is prompted to enter he password. This is where the problem starts, as only numbers work when pressed. She can't even get it back to the factory settings. I'm not sure what she's done to be honest. She did say that the day before, she could use the keyboard properly.

1 hour ago, steve_b_wales said:

When the laptop is switched on, her email address shows on the screen, and then she is prompted to enter he password. This is where the problem starts, as only numbers work when pressed. She can't even get it back to the factory settings. I'm not sure what she's done to be honest. She did say that the day before, she could use the keyboard properly.

I'd check for stuck keys, usually ctrl or alt. Then check the FN keys to see if there are any to disable the keyboard, as some can be turned off when using external. It may be prompting her for a pin, opposed to a password if she's locked it out.

1 minute ago, Demonic69 said:

I'd check for stuck keys, usually ctrl or alt. Then check the FN keys to see if there are any to disable the keyboard, as some can be turned off when using external. It may be prompting her for a pin, opposed to a password if she's locked it out.

Thanks. I'll pass the message on. :good:

4 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

Thanks. I'll pass the message on. :good:

Follow the instructions on the link above - tells you how to get the on-screen keyboard up - enter password/pin using the mouse  - clicking on the relevant letters/numbers/characters.

Then when in - try and open notepad and then see what is happening with certain keys - this may give a starter for 10 as to what is happening