Whiskey advice please

hodge911

9 minutes ago, hodge911 said:

I have an unopened limited edition bells whiskey Decatur from approx mid 70s is it worth advertising for sale and if yes where would be best and for how much ?

Pics are too large to post 

It's probably gone off by now . Send it to me and I'll get rid of it for you 😆.

Saw three bottles in the Telegraph this morning coming up for auction, not the same as yours but just shows how people will throw their money about.

Estimated price was £25 000 to £45 000.   Seems an awful amount fo money to spend on a couple of bottles of booze but heh!! these people are passing the money around.

What do they do?  Sit and look at it when there is nothing worth watching on TV ?

A bottle of Glen Stag from Morrisons does me fine.

49 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Saw three bottles in the Telegraph this morning coming up for auction, not the same as yours but just shows how people will throw their money about.

Estimated price was £25 000 to £45 000.   Seems an awful amount fo money to spend on a couple of bottles of booze but heh!! these people are passing the money around.

What do they do?  Sit and look at it when there is nothing worth watching on TV ?

A bottle of Glen Stag from Morrisons does me fine.

were they bottles for investments ?, or , for drinking nev ?. 

26 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

My attitude is they are ALL for drinking otherwise whats the point?

However there are some folks who like to invest their pennies as they wish and best of luck to those.

i love looking at alcohol , im not sure why because i drink very little these days . walking past an off license , and seeing all the bottles sparkling inside is fantastic , its like looking at treasure.

i watched something on tv a couple of years ago , it was about people that were massively rich , and could afford anything . the guy in the show would facilitate things for these people , that were unique , and cripplingly expensive . he arranged for one of his customers to drink the very last glass(on earth) of some particular type of brandy , if i remember correctly , that last glass of brandy cost £50,000 .  how the hell did someone so stupid , get so rich ???.

Well well!!   I shifted a load of soil today for my neighbour using my little Kubota and it took me about an hour and a half to square it up.  She very kindly and totally unecessarily came round an hour later with a bottle of single malt Cardhu, did I spell that correctly ?  Never tried it before so it will be another experience. Take it with this single malt stuff you shouldn't thin it down with water. What the Americans call sipping whisky. 

Edited by Walker570

41 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Well well!!   I shifted a load of soil today for my neighbour using my little Kubota and it took me about an hour and a half to square it up.  She very kindly and totally unecessarily came round an hour later with a bottle of single malt Cardhu, did I spell that correctly ?  Never tried it before so it will be another experience. Take it with this single malt stuff you shouldn't thin it down with water. What the Americans call sipping whisky. 

If it's a single malt, just put a couple of drops of iced water in it. It enhances the flavour and releases the bouquet. 

Or just guzzle it as normal 🤣

1 hour ago, Centrepin said:

If it's a single malt, just put a couple of drops of iced water in it. It enhances the flavour and releases the bouquet. 

Or just guzzle it as normal 🤣

Just a splash of cold water Nev to release the oils in the whiskey which releases the flavours. You shouldn't put ice in a single malt....unless you want to you're drinking it no one else. But I do like ice in a blended whiskey. Just bought a bottle of Shackleton whiskey off amazon for something like £17. It's not fancy or posh but it tastes pretty good and has a nice label and bottle.

i put a bottle of Mcallen in the "Whiskey Auction" last year...got over £500 quid for it...........most of the expensive whiskey is being bought buy buyers in the far east and china/singapore/malaya/korea.................

Whiskey is like Wine and art (no capital gains tax) and to some extent Bitcoin - it’s a thing that has no physical base value (unlike gold or bricks and mortar) and is only worth what the money chasing it determines.

I’ve got a bottle kicking around that I traded for on here - I’ll dig it out because I’ll happily change it into spends / spunk money right now 😆

its very easy to price what you have ...........go to the whiskey auction website and go back thro the previous auctions...............each make has a section

what i will say.......

1. the neck level is important
  2. the seal needs to be 100% intact
  3. condition needs to be reasonable
  4. with box if possible

I'm with you mel.   They make the stuff to be drunk and enjoyed not to be looked at or stacked away in the back of a cupboard somewhere.  I drink very little but do have a couple of fingers(sideways) each evening with some water , that is if I am in for the night not driving. Purely medicinal.  There again I don't have a use for or a yen for a Ferrari my old Landy does the job.  They are passing their money around I suppose.

Edited by Walker570

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

I'm with you mel.   They make the stuff to be drunk and enjoyed not to be looked at or stacked away in the back of a cupboard somewhere.  I drink very little but do have a couple of fingers(sideways) each evening with some water , that is if I am in for the night not driving. Purely medicinal.  There again I don't have a use for or a yen for a Ferrari my old Landy does the job.  They are passing their money around I suppose.

I have a mate (a pw member) that has been collecting whisky for years . His spare room is filled with whisky on display , but he only started drinking a few years ago . I have a massive collection of worthless cack , I just can't help myself.  If it's worthless and pointless,  I want it 😊.

11 hours ago, ditchman said:

its very easy to price what you have ...........go to the whiskey auction website and go back thro the previous auctions...............each make has a section

what i will say.......

1. the neck level is important
  2. the seal needs to be 100% intact
  3. condition needs to be reasonable
  4. with box if possible

Its in its original box the top still has the plastic cover over it and around the neck it has never been opened 

18 minutes ago, hodge911 said:

Its in its original box the top still has the plastic cover over it and around the neck it has never been opened 

go onto whiskey auction website.............follow the instructions....put in your filters and you will find your bottle and the price of the last few mths.........