Shortened stock = -negative value ?

sam triple

Looking at moving my Beretta on as it’s not getting used , I’ve owned it from new and had the stock shortened ( professionally done)  , one shop I took it too offered me a good price then on measuring it instantly took £100 off as it affected the resale value 🤔 one shop didn’t want it at all for the same reason , I’ve never heard of this before I wonder if it’s the same for lengthened stocks ? 

10 minutes ago, sam triple said:

Looking at moving my Beretta on as it’s not getting used , I’ve owned it from new and had the stock shortened ( professionally done)  , one shop I took it too offered me a good price then on measuring it instantly took £100 off as it affected the resale value 🤔 one shop didn’t want it at all for the same reason , I’ve never heard of this before I wonder if it’s the same for lengthened stocks ? 

How short is it? 

38 minutes ago, sam triple said:

You created a gun for you, not surprised it either commands a lower offer or that some Gun Shops will not want to take it on.

It is less of a problem for lengthened stocks as they can be cut down relatively easily.

Buy a second hand stock and include it with your gun, makes yours more saleable as it could be used for a youth or an adult.

My pal shortens the stocks on his guns then changes his mind about the gun. He must have lost a fortune. I’m the other way that I lengthen stocks, but I do it in a way that I can reverse so no loss in resale value if ever I changed the habit of a lifetime and sold a gun. 

3 hours ago, sam triple said:

Ok pity they don’t mention this when you get sold a gun , so anyone who doesn’t fit the narrative the gun is designed for will get screwed come selling time 😔

Why would a gun shop tell you that?

The alternative is to have a gun that doesn't fit you!

No not screwed, but there is a lowering of value when you change something for your benefit.

Guns aren’t selling right now, a 13 3/4 isn’t to bad depending on the size of the pad you have on it.  It could easily be adapted to suit a lady or child at that lop, issue being finding one.  Lots of shops aren’t interested try a shop attached to a shooting school as they will have the knowledge to advice on fit and not just standard gear.  

Whilst working in gun shops I sold more guns by refusing to sell people guns unsuitable for their build, most huffed stomped out, went down the road bought what they ‘wanted’ came back to us PXed the wrong gun with us for something more suitable, then sent their friends. 

Well thanks for all of your inputs guys , but I sold the gun this morning for what I wanted to someone who could see past the slightly shortened stock , I let him try it out up at the clay shoot , he said “ nice gun I’ll have it , I’ll put a slightly longer pad on it and it’ll be good to go “ 

happy days 

On 26/05/2021 at 07:56, WalkedUp said:

You just need a steady hand at the tiller. Carefully choose the gun. Amend it to fit you. Then keep it for life. 

I totally agree, that should be our mantra and being aware of the old adage of ‘Beware the man with only one gun’ but how many of us stick to it? I know I don’t. As a result, many of us own more than one gun, but back to the OP’s topic of shortened stocks, I am immediately put off a gun for sale that has had a shortened stock and then an inch or so of often non matching wood added to increase the LOP again. Even if it is a fairly good match and has been done professionally, it remains an unsightly adaptation in my view. This seems to be more prevalent in the smaller gauges and in particular my favourite gauge 16 that have been shortened for a youngster and to me, spoilt forever. I’m sure that these guns remain on gunshop racks for long periods. This is proven by those smaller gauges, mostly side by sides remaining on Guntrader and the like for long periods. Some, I suppose, could be rectified by the addition of a well fitted Silvers pad or leather covered recoil pad if the wooden extension is no thicker than an inch.

OB

1 hour ago, Old Boggy said:

I totally agree, that should be our mantra and being aware of the old adage of ‘Beware the man with only one gun’ but how many of us stick to it? I know I don’t. As a result, many of us own more than one gun, but back to the OP’s topic of shortened stocks, I am immediately put off a gun for sale that has had a shortened stock and then an inch or so of often non matching wood added to increase the LOP again. Even if it is a fairly good match and has been done professionally, it remains an unsightly adaptation in my view. This seems to be more prevalent in the smaller gauges and in particular my favourite gauge 16 that have been shortened for a youngster and to me, spoilt forever. I’m sure that these guns remain on gunshop racks for long periods. This is proven by those smaller gauges, mostly side by sides remaining on Guntrader and the like for long periods. Some, I suppose, could be rectified by the addition of a well fitted Silvers pad or leather covered recoil pad if the wooden extension is no thicker than an inch.

OB

The other disadvantage of pads is that usually they weight more than the equivalent piece of wood they replace and, also, cannot be drilled to lighten them. This inevitably means that they become unbalanced. Or rather that they may "balance" but have the weight badly distributed with that heavy pad at the extreme rear. However the OP hjas had success in selling his gun and all's well if it end's well.

On 26/05/2021 at 04:12, sam triple said:

Ok pity they don’t mention this when you get sold a gun , so anyone who doesn’t fit the narrative the gun is designed for will get screwed come selling time 😔

Would you expect a pink wrapped car to have the same resale value/attraction, as the same vehicle as std?

Would your Track Bike be expected to make the same money as a road legal one ( trust me, know matter how expensive mods are , they don’t 😉).

Most people but the same 32” leg trouser, if your a ‘shortie’ and buy yours 28” leg then the demand for resale is going to be reduced. Even if they both cost the same when new!

We make mods or adjustments to our toys, can’t expect everyone else to hold them in the same regard. 

End of the day, the dealer ( especially in this current climate) doesn’t want or probably really need to take your ‘unused’ shotgun to have it sitting there waiting for the ‘right’ framed buyer. 

7 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

Would you expect a pink wrapped car to have the same resale value/attraction, as the same vehicle as std?

Would your Track Bike be expected to make the same money as a road legal one ( trust me, know matter how expensive mods are , they don’t 😉).

Most people but the same 32” leg trouser, if your a ‘shortie’ and buy yours 28” leg then the demand for resale is going to be reduced. Even if they both cost the same when new!

We make mods or adjustments to our toys, can’t expect everyone else to hold them in the same regard. 

End of the day, the dealer ( especially in this current climate) doesn’t want or probably really need to take your ‘unused’ shotgun to have it sitting there waiting for the ‘right’ framed buyer. 

Who said it was unused 

24 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

You did. As in your not using it regularly and not that it is in ‘new condition’. 

Surely if it was unused it wouldn’t have been out of its case and I wouldn’t have bothered having the stock shortened, my add read very good condition just not getting used , some differences I believe, also if you had of read the thread you’d have seen I’ve sold the gun so that’s the end of it ? 

I know you sold it. But I was adding my tuppence over your original posting and surprise that a gun ( or anything modified for that matter), would have its value unduly affected by reducing the market for said item.

In reply to your other statement. A lengthened stock can also affect the value as per the above, but not to the same detriment due to the ability to remove and refinish it back to ‘stock’ ( excuse the pun).

Glad that you found a buyer.