Cannibalistic rat

30-6

My friend has had more rats on his farm this year than ever. None are being seen running around, but there are small, half grown, three quarter and fully grown being caught in fenn and snap traps, from multiple broods.

I have had squirrels and rabbits eaten in the traps on previous occasions which we proved to be a cat, which seems to turn up from wherever when it feels like. But now prowls a cannibalistic rat. All rat traps are secured by chain and all in tunnels or covered so they are cat, dog, kid, sheep, cow and horse proof. These traps are checked regularly, but about 1 in 3 catches are eaten, with only skin and tail left. 

I baited a trap with a dead mouse wired to it, it caught a rat, but rat and mouse were both eaten.

I have noticed some pretty large droppings, so is there a monster cannabilistic rat running around ? Will a rat tend to stick with flesh once it has a taste ?

I might add, these rats are in congested out buildings, so do not offer shooting.

9 minutes ago, 30-6 said:

have noticed some pretty large droppings, so is there a monster cannabilistic rat running around ? Will a rat tend to stick with flesh once it has a taste ?

You would have to think that eating the dead rats would be an easy meal, lots of protein then off to bed?

Not sure how legal they would be for rats but have you seen the buckets with the drop lids for mice? With a bigger bucket they could work well for the rats.

I've seen it a fair bit with the dead ones, in fact some of the wounded or kicking ones can get swamped by others. 

Also I have witnessed in my tunnel traps years ago was stoats and polecats taking the rats, basically chewing off what they could and taking the body away leaving heads, legs ect. It puzzled me for a long time as I knew a fox couldn't get at them