22 WMR (Ammo)

I have shot a fox with the 22WMR while out after rabbits and it dropped to the bullet, but if I’m only after fox I take the 223. For rangers up to around 150yds the 22WMR will do the job nicely, far better than the 17HMR, IMO.

Edited by cervusman

47 minutes ago, cervusman said:

I have shot a fox with the 22WMR while out after rabbits and it dropped to the bullet, but if I’m only after fox I take the 223. For rangers up to around 150yds the 22WMR will do the job nicely, far better than the 17HMR, IMO.

Absolutely re the HMR. :good: 30 odd years or more ago when I first started using the WMR, 100 plus a tad was the limit but now again you're spot on. However, that range - and particularly at night -  does require accuracy. Assuming it suits your barrel, there is a cartridge that eases things a little. Unfortunately, we can't get it. I came close with an RFD magnum lover and he tried, but somewhere down the line the minimum order was too much for him - even if he took 3000 for himself - it would have taken forever to recoup his money. Naturally, we all want a big gun whether we actually need it or not. Sometimes on open moorland or on large estates they are a requirement, but on smaller units I would wager that the vast majority of foxes are shot below the figure mentioned. The only way forward for the calibre is for it to regain its popularity.

• 2 weeks later...

I need to use up some ammo so that I don't go over the top when buying my preferred choices in reasonable quantities for when I finally get the Weihrauch. Made a start on Saturday to see if any could be eliminated from further consideration. Problem is I had to use Oppo's rifle and he's 6ft 3ins and big with it and I'm not. Also the rifle has a single stage trigger and although Neil Chard has done a fine job, it's still not an Anschutz or Weihrauch two stage. Stock and crops were against us - he was doing a check zero on his Hornet - so we had to accept a gusting quartering light to medium wind.

First off was the same old, same old Winchester. These will be found scattered across Devon. Next was the Hornady and you'll also have to take Dorset into account to find these.

Then there's the relatively newcomers which have appeared since we last used the calibre. The CCI Gamepoint produced 15/16" at the approx' 60 yards and the Remington V Max 13/16" These were all I could find locally - the last box - and I'm assured that the replacement Accutip shoot just the same. Finally came the RWS. I know what this rifle could do with the old version of these so wasn't too surprised to see when I got down to the target (they'd all gone in the black and I couldn't see from the firing point) a nicely horizontal chain not much wider than .22" with the 5 'links' linked at 5/8" long (wind?).

I'm well pleased with that. The Winchester and Hornady will do for trigger time. The RWS and Remington are the two which I really wanted to do well as I have a use for both and will have a look at these two plus the CCI as 1st reserve when the Weihrauch finally appears. 

9 minutes ago, London Best said:

.22 Hornets are a bit like .410s. Everyone has one, many no longer use them very much, but nobody will sell you one.

HHhhaaaahhhhaaa............good observation...........they are i belive known for their accuarcy...

now....a .22lr and hornet o/u combo would be a bit special........

Edited by ditchman

10 minutes ago, London Best said:

.22 Hornets are a bit like .410s. Everyone has one, many no longer use them very much, but nobody will sell you one.

Sadly, I may have to dispose of mine but am hanging on to see if I can still use it. Arthritis and a heart valve that needs replacing are making things a bit iffy. I agree with the grouping. Some guns I could hardly lift out of the cabinets back in the winter and they've now gone (hence the 22WMR as a last resort). I'm feeling better in the warm and dry so will give it a go shortly. Mine is a Ruger No1. This is a falling block with obviously no magazine and also a 1 in 14 twist. Put together, these give several advantages. It will stabilise a 50 grain SPSX and with no mag' length to worry about the bullet will sit over 12.6 grains of Li'l Gun without any kernel crunching. Exiting the barrel at 2770ft/sec, the 852 ftlbs is useful - or more accurately, has been useful. Will have to wait and see what the medics can do.

1 hour ago, wymberley said:

Sadly, I may have to dispose of mine but am hanging on to see if I can still use it. Arthritis and a heart valve that needs replacing are making things a bit iffy. I agree with the grouping. Some guns I could hardly lift out of the cabinets back in the winter and they've now gone (hence the 22WMR as a last resort). I'm feeling better in the warm and dry so will give it a go shortly. Mine is a Ruger No1. This is a falling block with obviously no magazine and also a 1 in 14 twist. Put together, these give several advantages. It will stabilise a 50 grain SPSX and with no mag' length to worry about the bullet will sit over 12.6 grains of Li'l Gun without any kernel crunching. Exiting the barrel at 2770ft/sec, the 852 ftlbs is useful - or more accurately, has been useful. Will have to wait and see what the medics can do.

I'm in a similar position for different reasons, virtually all my shooting is now from an X-Trail - and I manage shooting off the door mirror bracket quite well from the comfort of the heated seat breathing warmed air while fully rested and relaxed with a 16" barrel HMR: aided with a magnetic roof spotter up top but a screen down on the dashboard.

The electric tilt/slide sunroof is also useful for a layup outing off the roof rear with a bipod. Also great with one driving - rifle on the door mirror bracket and a buddy behind your seat standing, facing forwards so he can whisper in ya ear when to stop or turn because its nice to have some company. I've no idea where you are but you are very welcome to try mine out to see how you like it if anywhere near Leicester.

Edited by Dave-G

7 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

I'm in a similar position for different reasons, virtually all my shooting is now from an X-Trail - and I manage shooting off the door mirror bracket quite well from the comfort of the heated seat breathing warmed air while fully rested and relaxed with a 16" barrel HMR: aided with a magnetic roof spotter up top but a screen down on the dashboard.

The electric tilt/slide sunroof is also useful for a layup outing off the roof rear with a bipod. Also great with one driving - rifle on the door mirror bracket and a buddy behind your seat standing, facing forwards so he can whisper in ya ear when to stop or turn because its nice to have some company. I've no idea where you are but you are very welcome to try mine out to see how you like it if anywhere near Leicester.

Many thanks indeed for the offer. I have been known to visit Lakeside - family in Newtown Linford. I understand exactly where you're coming from with the X Trail as I've had three. My last was a diesel with a DPF which was not a good idea for crawling around so eventually had had enough and also not feeling too  spritely I recently replaced it with a petrol Yeti. I now know from where I'm going to get most if not all of my foxes so am going to act my age and go for a stationary ambush.

6 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Many thanks indeed for the offer. I have been known to visit Lakeside - family in Newtown Linford. I understand exactly where you're coming from with the X Trail as I've had three. My last was a diesel with a DPF which was not a good idea for crawling around so eventually had had enough and also not feeling too  spritely I recently replaced it with a petrol Yeti. I now know from where I'm going to get most if not all of my foxes so am going to act my age and go for a stationary ambush.

Petrol auto T30 for me, they don't hear me coming and don't see any signature from the thermal spotter. A 940nm NV on the rifle does the rest.

Having owned a .22WMR, I can attest to its stopping power , and that dull thump down range was a common sound and I would always choose one over the .17 HMR for foxes. 
However, saying that, the trajectory lines of the two vary greatly, and the WMR can be like lobbing in an artillery shell compared to the flat trajectory of the HMR. Also, the WMR has gone subsonic long before the HMR has even considered slowing down. 
I mostly used CCI hollow points, and they hit like a small train. 

22 minutes ago, Scully said:

Having owned a .22WMR, I can attest to its stopping power , and that dull thump down range was a common sound and I would always choose one over the .17 HMR for foxes. 
However, saying that, the trajectory lines of the two vary greatly, and the WMR can be like lobbing in an artillery shell compared to the flat trajectory of the HMR. Also, the WMR has gone subsonic long before the HMR has even considered slowing down. 
I mostly used CCI hollow points, and they hit like a small train. 

All good points, but if you can shoot subsonic 22LR out to 100 yards then there's no problem. Current offerings remain well clear of sub-sonic at the max' range that you'd be looking at for fox - 150 yards well plus before it drops. CCI Gamepoint - big train and RWS - huge train. Remington - small train but a flat bed.

2 hours ago, wymberley said:

All good points, but if you can shoot subsonic 22LR out to 100 yards then there's no problem. Current offerings remain well clear of sub-sonic at the max' range that you'd be looking at for fox - 150 yards well plus before it drops. CCI Gamepoint - big train and RWS - huge train. Remington - small train but a flat bed.

No, there’s no problem at all. Like I said, the WMR is a great round, and the only reason I got rid was because I could do just as well with the lr, which was much quieter.

If they still make Maxi Mags ( Remington if I recall ) then they’re well worth a try. Helluva round. 

10 hours ago, Scully said:

No, there’s no problem at all. Like I said, the WMR is a great round, and the only reason I got rid was because I could do just as well with the lr, which was much quieter.

If they still make Maxi Mags ( Remington if I recall ) then they’re well worth a try. Helluva round. 

I have a list of pretty much all rimfire rounds which was produced by Ruger in '08 and the only maxi-mag mentioned is by CCI.

7 hours ago, Longbower said:

I got rid of my HMR , and do all my foxing with my WMR, its a very underestimated round. I use the 30g Hornady , as they combine good accuracy with 

a flatter trajectory. I call/bait  them in to under 100yds . Very effective.

Yep, I can see Mother's 'at being pressed into service again.

2 hours ago, wymberley said:

I have a list of pretty much all rimfire rounds which was produced by Ruger in '08 and the only maxi-mag mentioned is by CCI.

Then CCI it is then. It’s been a while since I owned it. I think I may have one of their highly practical plastic ‘blocks’ somewhere. I used it for carrying lr rounds when out lamping.