Gun cabinets

wigeon jim

Hi, I am in the process of relocating my guns from my gunroom to provide a downstairs toilet for my wife, looking for security cabinets for 16+guns , can anyone recommend a make to look out for,  and yes I did suggest a bucket for her to use but she wasn't amused,   Jim.

2 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

I think the FEOs may prefer that as well.

On what basis?  Surely then you have two sets of keys to manage, two installations to get right, etc...

That said, I bought this 8-gun in 2018 and have been impressed with its quality, and I was just about able to manoeuvre into place by hand alone (twice now, moved) - which might be easier than wrestling with a huge 16 or 20 capacity model.  2 smaller cabinets also might easier to conceal from casual visitors to the house than one large one.

Might be something the OP wishes to take into account.

31 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Surely then you have two sets of keys to manage, two installations to get right, etc...

And to get all the guns the thief has two cabinets to cut/break into .........

Simply that I heard/read that some FEO had expressed a preference.  It was only a suggestion to consider as large cabinets are relatively few and far between, hard to site/locate - and because they are less popular, may be more expensive per gun.

I really don't know why we have to faff about with all these cabinets. When my friend died and we couldn't find where he had hidden his keys, we asked the FEO. He said you just have to put a big screw driver in the right place and you can ping out the locks. Its ever so easy apparently.

Excuse Me, am l missing something here??????

fortunately we found the keys in the end

26 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

Its ever so easy apparently.

It can certainly be done - and quite quickly - if somewhat noisily with power tools such as an angle grinder.

I can't see how mine (which is an old Clays Shooters Supplies one with two separate Chubb locks) could be done easily with a screwdriver; it is very thick steel (considerably thicker than some more modern 'approved' ones) and welded all round etc. with steel reinforcement inside to stop the door being bent and the locks protected from 'pinging' by welded in 1/8" thick plates.  It would need a large 'pry bar' at a minimum to 'ping' the locks.

Mind you, I have seen some 'allegedly' to BS standards that were very thin and I think could be forced quite easily ........ but if it gets the FEO's blessing, I guess it is doing what it was bought for .........